Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Spirit Lake  (Read 8986 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Spirit Lake
« Reply #60 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Anyone get out on spirtlake today?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Nobody?

Offline thunderbutt

• IceShanty Rookie
Spirit Lake wkend
« Reply #62 on: Jan 22, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Went to Spirit Lake for a wkend  of fishing. The fishing was Not good at all. We were on Spirit sat a.m. getting ready to pull shack out when a guy on a quad with tracks stopped and pulled us out around 1/2 mile to where biting(they weren"t )Wind came up sat afternoon was not good weather couldn't see shore blowing snow. About 2:00 the man on quad comes out said just checking on us as the weather was getting bad. He hauled us back to pickup would not take money or give his name.  How ever you are THANK YOU  Stayed at NORTHLAND INN paid for 2 nite ,with crappy weather and long drive came home day early. They were the bestpeople and motel i have stayed at . Returned money no questions asked. NORTHLAND  INN  is not fancy but it is very clean very well priced and a great place to stay (goin back in 2 wks)  Bad wkend made great by 2 very very nice men

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Spirit Lake wkend
« Reply #63 on: Jan 22, 2012, 10:43 PM »
Sorry to hear about you're luck. Glad some nice people helped you out. I thought this weekend would be a tuff one. I took off work on thursday with a buddy and we fished little millers bay. The bite was starting to get tuff then. Hope that in 2 weeks you have better luck.

Offline steven821

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 22, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Must still be cleaning fish lol

Offline cyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:20 PM »
I am headed there this weekend so hopefully it picks up a little. Can anyone point me in the direction of the pike or panfish? I am just looking for some action to keep me and a couple buddies busy. thanks

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:01 AM »
whats the ice like on spirit and how much snow is on the ice?
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline orangefeetdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Fished spirit last friday and caught 2 walleye 1 keeper and 1 dink in the blizzard.  walk out was miserable walked out to the 1 permanent that was out on reeds run.  Guy was driving on spirit with S-10 friday night where we were ice was 12".

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #68 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:58 AM »
I am headed there this weekend so hopefully it picks up a little. Can anyone point me in the direction of the pike or panfish? I am just looking for some action to keep me and a couple buddies busy. thanks

I would guess that your best bet is going to be Little Millers bay, Emerson Bay, or Smith's bay on West.

Offline frosteeone

• IceShanty Rookie
  • having fun is name of the game
« Reply #69 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Anyone driving trucks onto the ice at Spirit yet?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:48 PM »
Nobody that has a brain in there head is. The Games are on land this year and not the ice.

Offline frosteeone

• IceShanty Rookie
  • having fun is name of the game
« Reply #71 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Thanks my friend, I was led to believe a different story.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #72 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Oh don't get me wrong, I've see some nutty idiots  that drove out smaller s-10 pickups onto millers bay and stuff. I just think that the guys doing it are nuts in the head. Plenty of people are worried about 4 wheelers and snowmobiles with the variation of ice thickness that is out there. By the lack of other vehicles that I've seen I'd think most people are feeling the same.   

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:56 PM »
I know they are recomending no vehicals of any kind on the lakes for winter games weekend, cars, trucks, quads and snowmobiles included......

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 30, 2012, 02:08 PM »
Does anyone have any kind of a report from IGL from this last weekend. Ice conditions , fishing report?

Thanks
It's all about Ducks, Dogs, and Kids

Offline John90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 05, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Any reports on spirit and west, planning a trip but unsure about ice and the fishing! Anything helps guys and gal.   Thanks!!

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #76 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:42 PM »
ice is great on west.  fishing is great there too.  keep in mind you are fishing, not catching, so sometimes you need to move to find the fish.  they all wont come to your spot of the lake :)  i was on 14 inches of ice this weekend over 51 feet of water.  on 17 inches of ice over 20 feet of water.  I drove only in areas that were proven to hold vehicles larger than mine.

as for spirit, i wouldn't drive on it, but there are some that are, but they also tested the ice where they were going to drive.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Shane was you in that spot today?

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #78 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:48 PM »
yessir!  thats my rusty but trusty yota.  well, it was till i left, tranny linkage is having major issues.  the ice was decent out there, cept when that white z71 with a topper would drive by on saturday, or rich would like to drive up real close.  his ranger weighs a ton!  the guy driving the white z71 only uses a hand auger, and no flasher, and limited out with only 2 holes drilled saturday.  must have the touch?  lol......
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:57 PM »
Was out today in about 12ft ice was only 11" I drove out but really scared me. Didn't drive to spot a small toy may be able to drive around more. This is only my opinion I'm not driving out anymore unless colder. I can wait till open water.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #80 on: Feb 05, 2012, 11:13 PM »
Was out today in about 12ft ice was only 11" I drove out but really scared me. Didn't drive to spot a small toy may be able to drive around more. This is only my opinion I'm not driving out anymore unless colder. I can wait till open water.

i hear ya.  i was queasy at first, but i followed Rich out, about 150 feet behind, so if he had issues, i had reverse :)  would love to have about 18 grand to drop on a nice polaris utv, but that aint happening for about 7 more years (child support), lol.

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:40 AM »
whats the ice looking like on big spirit thinking aobut heading that way soon and alos how much snow is there on the ice?

Offline siyakadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:27 PM »
not much snow at all, very rough ice though.  My gear was bouncing all over the otter, hitting all the bumps in the ice.

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:02 AM »
Is there any bad ice i should know about i will be driving my UTV so im hoping i hsould be good i plan on fishing the marble beach area is that all safe ice over there?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.