Author Topic: Clam Blazer  (Read 6645 times)

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Clam Blazer
« on: Nov 11, 2017, 06:07 AM »
Had anyone bought one of these get? For 250 bucks, and only 35 pounds, it sounds like just what I'm looking for. Getting old, need something lighter.

I am a little confused on the construction though. All the retailers list the fabric as 300 D. Clam website says 450 D. Which is it? And would there be much of a difference between the two fabrics? How tough is 300D?
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Blazer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2017, 06:11 AM »
plenty tough             

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2017, 06:45 AM »
Take a look at a Shappell FX 100, at the same price point, 600 denier fabric, 37 lbs. deeper sled, sliding bench seat.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2017, 07:07 AM »
Take a look at a Shappell FX 100, at the same price point, 600 denier fabric, 37 lbs. deeper sled, sliding bench seat.

I will do that. Was looking at the Eskimo Quickflip also.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Its got absolutely nothing on the FX 100...

Seriously you would have to be blind, and brand loyal to go with the Blazer over the fx100...

<°)))>{

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2017, 10:46 AM »

Seriously you would have to be blind, and brand loyal to go with the Blazer over the fx100...

<°)))>{

I will be a little clearer. I own nothing from Clam right now. My main question was on the Clam information.  Clam website shows 450 denier. Retailers show 300 D. And it seems the Clam has a little more room at 12 sq ft fishing area. The FX is also about 12 sq ft. About 9.5 for the Eskimo Quickflip. I am open to any  flip type in that price range. Not too sure about the Frabil Recon. Reviews are not too friendly on the fabric. Thin and tears easily. Open to other opinions on the Recon anyway.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2017, 03:20 PM »
It is 450 denier on the Blazer. also note that the Blazer does not have a seat in it. instead there is a bracket that holds a five gallon pail that you supply for your seat. for a extra $80.00 you could step up to the Blazer Stealth which is fully insulated and is 900 denier fabric. the weight on the stealth version is 42 LBS.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2017, 03:22 PM »
It is 450 denier on the Blazer. also note that the Blazer does not have a seat in it. instead there is a bracket that holds a five gallon pail that you supply for your seat. for a extra $80.00 you could set up to the Blazer Stealth which is fully insulated and is 900 denier fabric. the weight on the stealth version is 42 LBS.

Thank you for the info

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2017, 06:53 AM »
Based on the advice of Mbart and Ice Scratcher, I looked into the fx100. It does seem to be the better deal.

My research came up lacking in the tubs. Are the Blazer, FX100, and Quickflip tubs all comparable in material thickness, or does one stand out above the others?

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2017, 05:29 PM »
regardless of which one you would decide to get I would recommend you get the runner kit for it from the same manufacturer. the runners will help with wear on the tub regardless of brand by keeping the sled from directly contacting the ice. another option would be to build a smitty sled and haul the house on that. you can do this even if you would add a runner kit too.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2017, 05:58 PM »
I kind of have one. I used old snowmobile skis and made a frame to mount to them. It pulls really slick with the ski skins on them. Might have a pic somewhere.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2017, 08:04 AM »
I added the Blazer to my collection this year.  Paid $199 at Cabela's a few months ago.  I am going to like this unit.  It is light and I have no issue with sitting on a bucket.  Told myself that I am going to move more this year.  This unit is light, and construction seems to be pretty good.  Will give another report in a month or so once I have had a chance to use it more.  Right now, I can only review from sitting in the garage and dreaming.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2017, 01:44 PM »
I added the Blazer to my collection this year.  Paid $199 at Cabela's a few months ago.  I am going to like this unit.  It is light and I have no issue with sitting on a bucket.  Told myself that I am going to move more this year.  This unit is light, and construction seems to be pretty good.  Will give another report in a month or so once I have had a chance to use it more.  Right now, I can only review from sitting in the garage and dreaming.

As long as that's ALL you are doing in there!

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2017, 02:02 PM »
Monticatgeek was correct. I just received confirmation from Clam. The Blazer is indeed 450 denier material. Not 300 like the retailers are showing.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Monticatgeek was correct. I just received confirmation from Clam. The Blazer is indeed 450 denier material. Not 300 like the retailers are showing.

did you happen to let customer service know what retailer it was that was stating the blazer was only 300 denier. if not please send me a PM with the info so I can have customer service work with the sales department so that the retailer(s) in question gets the correct info so they can change it on their end.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2017, 05:53 AM »
Yes. Clam knows about the issue. There were several retailers I checked that had the wrong info. One of them was an Iceshanty sponsor...... Fish 307. I emailed them also.

It must have been a miscommunication between Clam and many retailers. So far I have found....

Fish307.com
Cabelas
Bass pro
Thorne bros.
And 2 or 3 small retailers

....have the same wrong info.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2017, 09:43 AM »
Newest reply from Clam....

"Thanks for the info, I did a little more digging into why they would have the incorrect denier. When we first launched the Blazer it was originally 300 Denier fabric. It was a running change to switch it to 450 Denier for this year so it is possible that they are using old signage with the previous denier. It is also possible that they have leftover inventory from last year so they are advertising it based on which denier the product is. Hopefully this helps clear it up!"

Offline Yooperfish906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2018, 08:47 PM »
i am checking to see if anybody can provide some insight on the Clam Blazer Stealth. This looks like a good setup that is light weight and easy to pull. How does the 900D fabric perform? Also considering the Shappell FX100.

Offline jsl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2019, 01:40 PM »
I own the stealth. Lots of sled space. I use either a chair or bucket seat. Fabric is tough and warm. Very light in weight.
Cons: no rear door. Windows sewn in.

I like this shanty. It’s 4” wider than the fx100. I’m a big guy so I need as much space as I can get. I put my heater behind me in the sled. I only take what will fit in 2-7 gallon buckets other than auger.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2019, 02:08 PM »

<°)))>{

Ha ha, I wrote that obviously before the Eagle Claw happened..

<°)))>{

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Ha ha, I wrote that obviously before the Eagle Claw happened..

<°)))>{

Are those the red-zippered ones? Heard the FX100 was really a nice shelter until that version came out.

Any more reviews on the Blazer after using this season? I see they are going on sale at some pretty good deals now.  I'm looking into the insulated stealth version, not a ton of reviews out there.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2019, 04:14 PM »
 I bought the stealth blazer a week ago and have used it once. It went together smoothly with the help of my beautiful wife!  It says it can be put together by one person but that would be very difficult.   I’m still trying to figure out what type of seat I want to use.  The sled is wide and low which I like. It pulled easily loaded with my clam plate and Milwaukee auger, vex, 5 gallon minnow bucket, gear bag and rod bag.   900 D is very sturdy and will give plenty of insulation. I fished in 20° weather and it was warm inside without any heater. I was concerned about the black skin making it to dark inside, but the three windows provided plenty of light.   I may try to build a lightweight seat out of a swivel base and a mesh seat with a backrest. All in all very impressed with this flip over, hope to get many years of use out of it. I paid 292 total tax and shipping.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:30 PM »
I bought the stealth blazer a week ago and have used it once. It went together smoothly with the help of my beautiful wife!  It says it can be put together by one person but that would be very difficult.   I’m still trying to figure out what type of seat I want to use.  The sled is wide and low which I like. It pulled easily loaded with my clam plate and Milwaukee auger, vex, 5 gallon minnow bucket, gear bag and rod bag.   900 D is very sturdy and will give plenty of insulation. I fished in 20° weather and it was warm inside without any heater. I was concerned about the black skin making it to dark inside, but the three windows provided plenty of light.   I may try to build a lightweight seat out of a swivel base and a mesh seat with a backrest. All in all very impressed with this flip over, hope to get many years of use out of it. I paid 292 total tax and shipping.

Thanks, that's great info. I ended up ordering it, got a great price, since I am in the delivery area for speedee, shipping was a lot less

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Are those the red-zippered ones?

Yep..

<°)))>{

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:14 PM »
I have an old frabill recon. The cover is pinholed and worn. I got it for free 5 years ago so I can't complain too much. I love how light it is. If I cannot economically replace the cover I am definitely considering a clam blazer. I like having no seat in the tub. I have a comfortable tripod folding chair that takes up very little space. I like the lightweight for a run and gun set up. I have a bigger shanty for when setting up shop.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2019, 10:13 PM »
I have an old frabill recon. The cover is pinholed and worn. I got it for free 5 years ago so I can't complain too much. I love how light it is. If I cannot economically replace the cover I am definitely considering a clam blazer. I like having no seat in the tub. I have a comfortable tripod folding chair that takes up very little space. I like the lightweight for a run and gun set up. I have a bigger shanty for when setting up shop.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm hoping the Blazer has the lightweight and ease of moving, and loading/unloading that my Recon had. What I like is that it looked like it will come with a little bigger and especially a little wider, fishing area. Plus a door and with the stealth, the insulation should be a little nicer too.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2019, 10:27 PM »
 ??? WOW! Clam Blazer Stealth $165.00 Thorne Bros! Free shipping purchases over $99! OOPS! Too good to be true >:(. Oversized and select items excluded :'(. $150 to ship to me in Wyo. Well, got me excited for a little bit anyway >:(

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:36 AM »
I've had my blazer out twice now and like the minimalism a lot.  I'm 100% ok sitting on a bucket.  The bucket bracket with 2 cup holders is sweet and the stealth shell is really nice. 

Offline diehardiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Chasin' the big 1
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:15 PM »
I've been looking for a deal on the Blazer Stealth and have been unable to find one.  Some retailers say it's out of stock for the season and the others are not offering a deal.  If anyone finds a good deal on the Blazer Stealth, PLEASE let me know.

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:30 PM »
I've been looking for a deal on the Blazer Stealth and have been unable to find one.  Some retailers say it's out of stock for the season and the others are not offering a deal.  If anyone finds a good deal on the Blazer Stealth, PLEASE let me know.
https://www.thornebros.com/collections/ice-houses/products/clam-blazer-stealth

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.