Author Topic: Using trout for bait to catch Pike and Muskie  (Read 7402 times)

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Using trout for bait to catch Pike and Muskie
« on: Oct 27, 2014, 01:30 PM »
A lot of the small town ponds and city lakes around here are stocked with put-and-take trout in the fall yearly.  The water warms up too much the next summer, and they die off.

I'm thinking catching them this fall and using them for big Pike and Muskies under our tip ups.  We fish one lake in Nebraska that is known for monster pike and muskie, holding the state record for both.  One of which was a 35.5" pike I caught last year, not exactly a monster, but my biggest by far.

We typically just use frozen smelt for bait, as some of the other lakes we fish, that is the only legal bait.

Well, this year I have been working on a few other baits to use on the lakes that are not under that rule.  I caught, seasoned, and vacuum sealed a few dozen creek chubs ranging from 4" to 7".  I'm thinking they will work pretty well, but I like having options, and and bigger is always better right?

I know trout are pretty greasy, and flavorful, so they should work well.  The smallest I usually catch are maybe 7-8", but with chances of 40" pike and 50" muskie, that's just an afternoon snack.

I'm thinking just to catch and package them the same way as the creek chubs, so they stay relativity fresh.

Anyone use trout for bait like this?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: Using trout for bait to catch Pike and Muskie
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2014, 01:49 PM »
You won't catch musky on dead bait. They're live bait predators.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2014, 02:09 PM »
Can you legally use trout as bait there?

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Baits and Scents – Cutbait is legal if the fish used has been legally acquired and the size, bag and possession limits for that species and body of water have been followed. It also is legal to chum for fish using nonharmful baits. Anise oil and other scents that do not stun, kill or harm fish are permitted.

Straight out of the fish guide.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Who's paying for the trout you plan to use for bait? Taxpayer? F & G club? Doesn't seem to me that's what they're stocked for.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2014, 08:24 PM »
I paid for them with my license fee and taxes.  The fish are stocked there for people to catch and keep, nothing more, nothing less. It's a public lake, I have a valid fishing license, and I'm taking them legally with hook and line. As long as I'm abiding by the laws, what's it matter what happens to the trout?

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2014, 08:37 PM »
I use trout all the time here in PA as long as you catch it fair and square you can use it for bait, and personally I think thats all there good for (stocked trout) there not so good to eat

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2014, 09:16 PM »
I don't mind trout every so often, a little goes a long way for me. 

We got into some big river trout in western Nebraska a couple years ago.  I wish we could get them to last through the summer around here.  They are a blast to catch when they are 18"+, in heavy current, and on light tackle. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2014, 06:41 AM »
No reason trout wouldn't work, just observe the regs for bait wherever you go. For example, here in WI you can't use dead bait unless it is preserved in a way other than freezing or refrigeration; that pretty much means salted. I've done that and I'll always salt dead baits regardless of the regs, I think it helps.

As far as muskies on dead bait, don't believe everything you hear. I've caught many thru the ice swinging dead bait though I confess to presenting most of it on a wind tipup. That said, please consider C&R for these guys as they do help keep systems in balance, again contrary to what you might hear/read.

I had some lake herring from Superior one year when I tried to get bloater chubs. There were no chubs in the catch so they saved me 50# of the smallest herring. I bought 'em sight unseen (wrapped in butcher paper) for $1 a pound. When I got 'em home the smallest one was 12" and most were 14 - 15". I thought what the hey and took them on a local lake at early ice to "select" for bigger pike. Didn't even get my 3rd tippy in the water and had a 39" musky chewing on some of that 15" shark bait. Next day I caught a 44" and I put the big stuff away not wanting to get a ticket for targeting out of season. See the 39" below (I was fishing solo for the 44" so no pic):

Just my experience, UMMV......

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2014, 11:55 AM »
No reason trout wouldn't work, just observe the regs for bait wherever you go. For example, here in WI you can't use dead bait unless it is preserved in a way other than freezing or refrigeration; that pretty much means salted. I've done that and I'll always salt dead baits regardless of the regs, I think it helps.

As far as muskies on dead bait, don't believe everything you hear. I've caught many thru the ice swinging dead bait though I confess to presenting most of it on a wind tipup. That said, please consider C&R for these guys as they do help keep systems in balance, again contrary to what you might hear/read.

I had some lake herring from Superior one year when I tried to get bloater chubs. There were no chubs in the catch so they saved me 50# of the smallest herring. I bought 'em sight unseen (wrapped in butcher paper) for $1 a pound. When I got 'em home the smallest one was 12" and most were 14 - 15". I thought what the hey and took them on a local lake at early ice to "select" for bigger pike. Didn't even get my 3rd tippy in the water and had a 39" musky chewing on some of that 15" shark bait. Next day I caught a 44" and I put the big stuff away not wanting to get a ticket for targeting out of season. See the 39" below (I was fishing solo for the 44" so no pic):

/m

Absolutely right on. I never thought about the windlass flags. If you keep baits moving, there's no reason why you can't catch a musky through the ice. I've caught gators jigging for pike with blade baits like ZIP lures. I've never caught them on dead bait that was rigged like smelt on standard flags.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2014, 01:11 PM »
I like catching pike, but I love eating trout.  Trout fishing is hard enough around here where I'm not willing to put a tasty trout dinner back on the hook and trade it for a pike.  I'll stick to minnows, but to each his own.  ; - )
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2014, 01:17 PM »
We got into some big river trout in western Nebraska a couple years ago.  I wish we could get them to last through the summer around here.  They are a blast to catch when they are 18"+, in heavy current, and on light tackle.

Kind of off topic, but which river do you speak of?

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2014, 01:33 PM »
North Platte, behind the Keystone diversion dam

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2014, 01:36 PM »
Awesome man, was wondering if that was where you were fishing. Looks like a fat healthy bow!

As far as your question regarding using trout as bait - I definitely think they would work for pike and I wouldnt feel bad one bit about using stockers.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2014, 02:07 PM »
The trout are hit and miss there.  That year was amazing, last year was ZERO

Offline Wildakchef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2014, 05:44 PM »
I also use trout here in pa all the time! Work great on Muskies!

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:44 PM »

/m

Esox why do they only allow salted baits and not frozen.

I would think that freezing something would kill most anything that could be transported. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:48 PM »
A lot of the small town ponds and city lakes around here are stocked with put-and-take trout in the fall yearly.  The water warms up too much the next summer, and they die off.

I'm thinking catching them this fall and using them for big Pike and Muskies under our tip ups.  We fish one lake in Nebraska that is known for monster pike and muskie, holding the state record for both.  One of which was a 35.5" pike I caught last year, not exactly a monster, but my biggest by far.

We typically just use frozen smelt for bait, as some of the other lakes we fish, that is the only legal bait.

Well, this year I have been working on a few other baits to use on the lakes that are not under that rule.  I caught, seasoned, and vacuum sealed a few dozen creek chubs ranging from 4" to 7".  I'm thinking they will work pretty well, but I like having options, and and bigger is always better right?

I know trout are pretty greasy, and flavorful, so they should work well.  The smallest I usually catch are maybe 7-8", but with chances of 40" pike and 50" muskie, that's just an afternoon snack.

I'm thinking just to catch and package them the same way as the creek chubs, so they stay relativity fresh.

Anyone use trout for bait like this?

You might have other non target fish taking the small 4 inch baits.  I would of started at the 7 inch size and went up from there.

I to use live trout for bait here on pa.  Another way we can use trout for bait and get around the creel limits is to buy them and keep a reciet of purchas for the.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Who's paying for the trout you plan to use for bait? Taxpayer? F & G club? Doesn't seem to me that's what they're stocked for.

If its put and take public water then the person who caught them has the right to do what ever theychoose with the.   Some states have certain laws pertaining to wasting fish and game though so you just can't throw them in the garbage or garden.  I have seen guys here in pa throw a whole trout under a tomatoe plant with some Lyme for fertilizer

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2014, 07:28 PM »
If its put and take public water then the person who caught them has the right to do what ever theychoose with the.   Some states have certain laws pertaining to wasting fish and game though so you just can't throw them in the garbage or garden.  I have seen guys here in pa throw a whole trout under a tomatoe plant with some Lyme for fertilizer

I've never wasted a whole fish, but all of my cleaned fish go in the compost bin....deep in the compost bin. Dang coons

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2014, 05:30 AM »
@ JiggerMan - in WI we have some waters that have VHS (viral hemorrhagic syndrome) that kills fish. The current view is that the virus might withstand freezing and be introduced into VHS free waters somehow. Salt apparently kills the stuff.

There are also restrictions on reusing live bait in multiple water bodies as well as trapping and sale. All retails sales of live bait must be from certified VHS free environments and yes, it negatively affects the cost of bait.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline legerski82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2014, 07:20 AM »
We can not use trout in our state.  How do you keep the trout from tripping your flags all the time? 

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:24 PM »
You have to use a tipup with a drag on the spool, and sometimes I will cut the tail a bunch of times with a pair os scissors so the tail cant move water and it puts out a bit of scent also, you can also use a rubber band I have never done it that way but have heard of guys doing it that way not exactly sure how they do it though

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2014, 11:39 PM »
BC,
I have used the rubber band to add bulk to the hard setting on the T bar.  On the stick tip ups abouttthe only way is to attach a down rigger release under your spool and clip your line to it for added tension. 

You can also use a zip tie on the tbar to get the same affect as the rubber band.  Then all it rakes is tturning the zip tie to adjust how hard it is to trip the flag. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.