Author Topic: Just wanted to say Hi  (Read 2112 times)

wvjohn

Just wanted to say Hi
« on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:16 AM »
Hello all new to the site,, Iam from WV  my family has a house near Davis WV. I have never fished Deep Creek lake Hard or Soft water ,,, I am going to get out after the Duck season goes out in WV.
I am no Ice expert as a matter of fact a begginer but eager to learn. 
Any help about this lake would be great,, I'll even buy the bait sometime for the help,, The reason I heard about the lake was two really nice older chaps I met while fishing Cheat LAke for Perch( any known reason why Cheat Lakes perch dont taste real good?)  they said for hardwater perch/walleye go to Deep Creek,
I will try to be later in Jan and will be traveling 219  ,, I dont want GPS#'s or specific coves etc.  just any extra info would be great.
Once again glad to see an informative site, and thanks for the help
Thanks John

wvjohn

Re: Just wanted to say Hi
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:18 AM »
Ps any info on snowmobiles or ATV access also would be cool?

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2005, 03:39 PM »
Welcome aboard John.  Browse through the archived section of the fishing reports for stuff specific to the lake as well as the Md. board, but for general how to stuff the entire web site has a ton of info.  Maybe the first place to look is the tips section or the species section, also check out equipment.  Also, what you'd need to get started depends on what you'd like to fish for...

Perch?  Check out the thread on panfish, the thread on ice line, and the tips sections.  And, keep asking questions as you get more specific with them, you'll get good answers...
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2005, 04:04 PM »
Welcome, John.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2005, 07:08 AM »
Welcome aboard!
It's time to go and I can't turn the ignition!

Proud 2 Be A Carp Fisherman!!!
www.carpanglersgroup.c om

wvjohn

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:41 AM »
Thanks guys mainly I like to fish for walleye and perch
As for the snowmobiles and 4wheelers??  does anybody know,, not that I will bring it but it is nice to know!
John

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2005, 10:14 AM »
As for snowmobiles and 3 wheelers, I must admit that I am too prejudice to answer honestly. My experience is that ice fishermen and snow mobilers are just about as cozy as sheep and wolves.......they are just natural foes. They drive me nuts. They speed about 50 mph within feet of you. Sometimes it's like fishing on the 695 betway. I have had them weave in and out between my tip ups. And........they don't like all the holes we dig on their playground. Little slush mounds, when frozen, are very hazzardous to them.

But, if you're a good guy..............

Right now the lake is too uncertain to have machines on. The ice changes drasticlly within feet. I'd wait a month. Also, stay away from under the bridges. The salt/heat/oil from the cars above make the ice below the bridge really unpredictable.

It has been my memory that of all the major ice accidents over the years, 99% of them are snowmobiles that run into ice heaves (fault lines) or have problems under the bridges. Kids, walking into danger have also occured. Ice fishermen tinker with with the ice too much.....they know what the deal is. Their biggest danger is getting stranded on the ice after it has shifted and taken the whole thing away from the shore. It's happened to me!
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

wvjohn

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2005, 11:09 AM »
Strikelead Man I'm with you on the pain in the A#$ they can be,, kinda like trolling with jet skis buzzin around.

Agree 100%  with you,, Iam a good guy and it purley utility for me IM 35 and ride like Im 70 ,,,,,,, been in the fire servive too long for that stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be up between xmas and new years   w/out the 4wheeler to get a feel for things!!!!!! !  Maybee we'll see each other.

Thanks again

John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.