Author Topic: Re:Belle Grove Ponds  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your pole off the ice
Re:Belle Grove Ponds
« on: Jan 17, 2004, 04:47 PM »
Hey Tom,

Welcome aboard and thanks for the report. It would be pretty cool to get a decent Rockfish thru the ice, or one of those big Carp Belle Grove holds. We fish Western Park on the opposite side of the Patapsco during the Fall and have had good luck with Rock and Catch & Release Yellows, but it never turned on this Fall.

Looking forward to running into you on the ponds someday.

Bob

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:25 AM »
Funny you should mention "big carp". This is the fish that I pursue the rest of the year. Belle Grove does turn up some bigones. My friend has caught them through the ice on rapala's ( hooked in the mouth ). Check out www.carpanglersgroup.c om for a group of great guys who love the almighty carp - just like I do!
It's time to go and I can't turn the ignition!

Proud 2 Be A Carp Fisherman!!!
www.carpanglersgroup.c om

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2004, 02:30 PM »
I've seen your friends handywork on the DNR page back in the Fall.

Looks like a good group to fish with.

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2004, 05:35 PM »
Yea - always good company. That's the infamous "Billfiger" Will Meeks catching his personal best of 26#'s at Belle Grove Ponds. He's not into the carpin' as much as I am - I am obsessed.He's not much for icen' either.   It seems my pictures are getting around - check out the latest DNR freshwater page. Maybe I should quit my job and become a photographer  ;D . Seriously , maybe you can join us this year on the ice or the bank . Seems you have the knack for knowing the "Grove" as we call it.

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
Belle Grove
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2004, 05:20 PM »
Had a decent day on the Grove today. Ice was only about 4-6 inches but good black ice with a little snow still left.Perch, crappie, bass , a few 'gills fell victim to mostly Rapalas. Looking forward to getting back on during the week.

Offline chrisfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
Re:Belle Grove
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2004, 07:33 PM »
Would that ice be safe tmw if it snows?  not sure if a few inches of snow on that ice would be too much extra weight.   i'm thinking about skipping work tmw and fishing if its safe.

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:47 AM »
The good thing is that is powdered snow. Light and fluffy stuff. I would go out on it but if you wanna be on the safer side then go on the last pond. More ice back there and more the better. That has been fishless so far though. Be caerful getting on the ice . It's tricky because it is tidal. You need to use a plank. There's an old wooden latter down there that we use. Help yourself to that and hope you get some. I maybe down there later this afternoon. So far , I am the only one here at work. 6" snow shuts this place(Baltimore) down ;D. It will be even worse tomorrow - 1/2 inch of ice expected after midnight !! Ouch!!

natedogg

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2004, 01:25 PM »
I'm new to the area- Northwest PA native.  I'm thinking about heading out on the ice thursday and interested in these Belle Grove ponds- which is the best?  how much plank do you need to get out?  and anywhere closeby to buy some live bait- shiners and waxworms?  Also any other areas around baltimore good for ice fishing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2004, 04:21 PM »
Hey Tommy,

Glad to see that you were able to get out on the 'Grove and do pretty good. But how about showing some of that award winning photography or do I have to wait for the DNR update.  ;)

Bob

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:49 PM »
You should try the largest pond ( in the middle of the 3 ) near the powerlines ( BG&E fire trail ). Not much for the plank , just about 4-5 feet to get on hard ice. There is a local tackle and bait shop - Clydes Sporting Goods. Located on Hammonds Ferry Road. Kinda difficult to give directions but it's in between Lansdowne Road and Hollins Ferry Road. These are the only ponds that we fish near Baltimore. Much better in western MD. MD isn't very angler friendly and especially to ice fishermen.

natedogg

« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2004, 07:35 AM »
thanks tommy, I may see you out there!!  I tried up at lake Marburg in PA this past weekend, nothing but a couple perch.  The guys out there say that it is usually really good when they get a little more ice and you can get to the area by the first bridge.  Only about an hour and fifteen minute drive.
Nate

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2004, 08:27 PM »
Going back down on Saturday. Would like to meet some of you guys. Grab some wax worms , rapalas and tear drops and your all set. These guys are from the old school and use axes not augers - tic tac toe and no cracks at the feet. Ever hear of that one... works for me... so far. :D. BTW Bob , had to use the disposable last weekend - got a couple of good shots of a Bass that went close to 4#. I would have released it as I do most of my fish but this happy angler kept it for dinner that night. :-X. Guess they taste better than Van De Kamps! :-X

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2004, 06:53 PM »
Tommy,

Are you fishing the far left large pond in the picture below?

If so, and the ice holds we'll see you out there Saturday.

Bob

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2004, 06:33 AM »
No Bob. It's the middle pond along the side of that left hand pond. The pond that you are referring to has yet to yield a fish but it's over due. Went out yesterday and only one guy out. Went fishless. Snow not letting much if any light through. I'll be done on Saturday and Sunday. See ya there.

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Belle Grove
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2004, 06:17 PM »
Maybe it for the Grove . Due to the flooding rains and melting snow 'ol Belle Grove was flooded high as it did last year after Isabelle. Totally blew my mind and forcast looking more like spring :(. Always North or West but think I'll keep the fingers crossed and hope there's still some good ice under all of that water.

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2004, 07:02 PM »
i'm gonna try tommorow Loch Raven reservoir.there are a lot of nice yellow perch up there.

Cha-Chi

« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Does loch raven get enough ice to fish? thats a big lake, I'd like to hear how your trip turns out.
 :'( :'(

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Belle Grove Ponds
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:45 PM »
Fished Belle Grove after work today for only an hour and a half. No bites and only my buddy Ray was out. He managed a few crappie earlier in the day with no size. The flooding rains took it's toll on the ice and some open water around. Also about 2" of slush on top of 4-5 inches of still hard ice. Not going to last with the warmer weather setting in and the nights not getting much below the freezing mark. Hoping to get one more outing saturday before I turn in my gear for Carp . Still have the perch runs and trout also.

See ya on the frozen surface!

Offline TommyRobinson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Belle Grove Ponds
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2004, 05:03 PM »
 :( :( :( :(Ice is history ! See u next season!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.