Author Topic: Re: Greenbriar  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your pole off the ice
Re: Greenbriar
« on: Feb 07, 2004, 06:03 PM »
Thanks for the report and great icons Perch Jerker.

We tried it today (2/7) mostly over by the dam, but couldn't get anything to hit. One bite, no fish in 2.5 hrs.

Always a scenic lake

Bob

Perch Jerker

« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2004, 06:35 PM »
I started there too and it was pretty slow.  As I started moving to the right (as your facing the dam), I started catching fish.  I wasn't marking a lot of fish, I think they were probably stacked somewhere else, but I probably didn't venture far enough looking for them...

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2004, 07:34 PM »
Headed futher west to Blair Valley and found that the ice there is under about 10 inches of  slush. Stoped back at Greenbriar and had a good time catching some really nice gills in only 12-14 feet. I must have caught 20 out of one hole. I also managed a bass and a dink crappie. Had that vexilar lit up like a Christmas tree!! I'll be down there tommorow with my buddy. Hope to see a few of you out there.                                                                                                                            Mike

Perch Jerker

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2004, 10:38 PM »
Sounds great, I'm headed up to Little Buffalo State Park along with fatboy (my brother) and genz man.  I'll interested in the fishing report.  ;D

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2004, 09:04 AM »
Perch Jerker,

I had put some holes in down to the left of the dam by the trees, but looks like I should have moved right. Thanks for the lead.

Mr. freeze,

Your killing me, twenty out of one hole, while we got skunked. Please don't tell me that they came out of a freshly drilled holes ???.
Must have just missed you on the ice, unless that was you on the dam, we left a little before 2:00. Glad that you got 'em.

Bob

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2004, 02:48 PM »
Believe me Bob they were rockin Saturday afternoon. This morning was not so hot. I did manage 9 bluegills worth bringing home and a few throw backs. I'm fishing with the smallest perch eye style jigs with 2lb line. I don't know if this matters but I also use different colored eurolarvae. This morning I was fishing by a couple of fellow icefishers who were using waxies on tipups and they were having a tough time. I think they had 3 or 4 flags all morning in the same area I was fishing. The fish seam to be attracted to a jig 2 or 3 feet of the bottom jigged pretty agressive. Then when they begin to move towards it either stop or start raising the jig slowly.   

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Greenbriar/Washington
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2004, 04:23 PM »
Thanks for the "how to" for Gills on Greenbriar. Might have try more blind jigging higher off of the bottom than we usually fish, like you suggested. Where do you get your colored eurolarvaes from?

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2004, 08:52 PM »
I ordered them from vadosbait.com . They ship them two day u.p.s.. They seem to be lasting in the fridge pretty good. I've had them about a month. My wife says they look like squirming fruit loops. Always use terms like eurolarva and spikes when talking about them around women. Never ever call them maggots!!!!

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2004, 09:07 PM »
Anyone try this week? This warm weather has me worried that local ice season is coming to a close. Hope I'm wrong!

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2004, 12:22 PM »
Checked the ice early this morning it was about 7 inches total but only 4 of that was clear. I am a bit wimpy on marginal ice when by myself so I decided to check Blair valley. The ice there was much better with probably 8 inches of clear and 5 inches of sluch ice. Problem was I couldn't catch anything. So I headed back to Greenbriar and ventured out toward the right side of the dam. Only caught 1 bluegill and noticed the banks watering up a bit so I left. Hopefuly the cold early this upcoming week will freeze things up a little more at Greenbriar.

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2004, 07:40 AM »
Mr. freeze,

Thanks for the report, I was wondering how the ice was holding up after that week of forties. I took monday off and plan to be on some Wash Co ice, got a feeling that it might be my last crack at it.

Perch Jerker

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2004, 01:26 PM »
I'm gonna try Greenbriar either tomorrow or Thursday.  I'm sure there is good ice on it after last night. 

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2004, 07:27 PM »
 Today was too nice to stay indoors so after getting off early I decided to see if any ice was left. While open water by the spring mouths is is eating away at the ice there is still 3 or 4 inches as you move away. I set up a few tip ups in 4 feet of water and as the sun began to drop the trout started hitting. Caught two rainbows but the only bites came on a jigging rod I left dead stick with powerbait. I guess the tipups spooked them in the shallow water.  I think the ice season is done for Greenbriar .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.