Author Topic: Lake Gogebic help  (Read 1286 times)

Offline fishgutz

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Gogebic help
« on: Feb 22, 2013, 12:47 PM »
Looking for any help-advice. Walking out from east shore rd boat launch . Would love to catch perch and or walleye . Thanks for any info

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Gogebic help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:52 PM »
I would need to know more about the equipment you are using.  Walking out on Lake Gogebic this year is going to be very tough.  There is a ton of snow on the ice along with a lot of slush pockets.  The only vehicles that work are snowmobiles everthing else will just bog down and get stuck.  If you are really intent on walking out you will need the following set up for perch.  You will need rod/reel set ups with light weight line no more than 4lb test.  You will need spring boobbers on the rods, the perch bite so light that a spring bobber is only way to detect bite.  You will need a flasher unit to detect when perch move into your area.  Use small tear drops with wigglers, the wigglers should be hooked in the first couple segments of the tail.  This is so they will swim and attrach fish, when they swim on a rod with spring bobber you can tell when a fish is in your area.

Here is my set-up for perch:

Walleyes can be caught on tip-ups(that is what I use) or can be caught while jigging(using jigging spoons, jigging Rapalas, or Swedish Pimples).

This time of year where you are going out of, you will get to 23-28 feet of water, this usually in the area where you are going to find the wiggler beds.

If you have any other questions post them here.  I am living for up there, next Saturday.

BOB

“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

Offline fishgutz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:01 AM »
I have a fl-20 vexilar 2lb line on one rod and 4lb on the other ones . No snowmobile just 2- 4 wheelers thats why im walking dont want to wrestle with them getting stuck . Just want to fish . Hopefully catch some . Had someone tell me to fish the north end ? Went last year for my first time only caught small eyes . Thanks for the help . Will be on the ice sat morning and not leaving till sunday evening or a perch dinner what ever comes first . :tipup:

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Let me know how you did.  I will there for a week starting March 2.

BOB
“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

Offline fishgutz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2013, 12:14 PM »
You werent kidding about walking . I went out from east rd boat launch went out by the camper -shack and thought i was going to have a hart attack by the time i got there . Stsayed all day into the evening lost 3 perchzillas at the hole . Only thing i could get em to bite on was micro scopic size hooks with wigglers marked fish most the day tight to the bottom. Just before dark put on a dojigger spoon dropped it down soon as it hit bottom hook a 3 pound walleye . came home with two eyes no perch . Snow was knee deep with a foot of slush and water had wet feet the whole time . Definetly need a snowmobile . Going to try to go next weekend if i can find a sled to use .

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Call Gus at the Maple Ridge Motel/Bait Shop he has a couple of sled that he rents (906) 365-5050, tell him Bob Lesner sent you.  I will up there next week starting on Saturday for a week and will be fishing in Hog-a-thon on March 9.

BOB

Norman Maclean

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.