Author Topic: New to fishing, Walleyes are vexing me.  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Ice Savant

• IceShanty Rookie
New to fishing, Walleyes are vexing me.
« on: Feb 28, 2014, 03:55 PM »
First of all hello everyone, at 24 while many of my friends are getting into doing drugs, I decided to get into ice fishing. However, me and my friend are fishing long lake here in Michigan, which is known for its walleye, now we have went 5 times in the past week and a half and have caught fish in 11 foot of water on a low lying vegetation weed bed with good perch activity during the day, we get out there after work at about 5 pm, and have noticed from 6 to 6:30 we get walleye everytime, now we usually stay until midnight and do not even get bites past 6:30. I am using the lindy rattler flyer in rainbow color tipped with a minnow head. So my questions are do these fish just not eat except during that peak time? Or are they going in shallower or what? The lake is 80 foot deep max, Should I just give up past 7? Any help is appreciated, thank you. I should also note one night we moved in shallower to 5 different spots, and did  NOT get bites, I do not have a fishfinder, just topographical maps.

Offline SD Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New to fishing, Walleyes are vexing me.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2014, 04:52 PM »
I think you are on the right track. I typically have my best luck for walleyes just before dusk and into the night. If I am not mistaken, the lindy rattlin flyer in rainbow color is metallic in color and does not glow. I would pick up some in a glow color and try those, especially after dark. Drill a bunch of holes in varying depths and hour or so before primetime (dusk) and keep moving to try to find the depth they may be at. I have caught walleyes at night as shallow as 5' of water, but I am typically in around 10' - 20'. Are you using tip ups? If you don't have any I would recommend getting some. I'm not sure of the regs in your area on how many lines you can have but get as many lines out as you can and still be legal. Good Luck! :tipup:

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Just curious you don't have a location, where is this long lake, or more so where are you? I have an issue close to yours on a different lake.
:icefish:

Offline MTredkennels97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:46 PM »
I've fished Long Lake in Michigan a couple times in the summer and caught walleye, smallmouth, and perch. We caught them all on the marina side of the lake trolling in about 14 feet of water. Don't know if they're still there in winter or if they move.

Offline rtbluver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:14 AM »
Is this long lake in the reading michigan area??  Ive been skunked twice out there this year and im looking for a buddy to show me the ropes of long lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.