The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice conditions  (Read 1828 times)

Offline tonyjackson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice conditions
« Reply #30 on: Mar 08, 2024, 01:52 PM »
I have not been to Moosehead but I saw on FB that there was 8”-12” off Rockwood landing reported on Thursday. Ice going out fast this season  it won’t be long . 🥶

I was going to head up that way for the eclipse on April 8th. Looks like I should bring the boat as well as the waders.
Might be the earliest ice out anyone has ever seen.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 08, 2024, 02:56 PM »
I just heard from the top of Blair hill  Shacks are still out on Moosehead.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 08, 2024, 03:50 PM »
I just spoke with people on the ice on Moosehead.  Where they are fishing, there is only 10 inches today, several inches of which is soft. So maybe 6 good inches. There was 15 inches in the same spot Wednesday. Maybe the nights below freezing and coming snow gives it extra life, but it's suspect. Very difficult to predict. I would not put a machine on it. Fish with a friend and rescue gear if you go. Be extra careful, this year is very unusual, the ice could go out quite suddenly.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 08, 2024, 04:29 PM »
Cleaning the ice gear out of the car tonight. Making some slider rigs to troll left over shiners with, and just ordered a mini down rigger for my little boat.
Though that hasn’t stopped me from looking ar sales for gear that I won’t use till next ice season  :P

Offline Fishin_Addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 09, 2024, 12:11 PM »
I am fishing out in front of Blair Hill right now.  There is 14 inches of ice about 200 yards out from shore. Out near the middle where the two rock stick up out of the water there is a wide open hole about 12 feet wide. 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 09, 2024, 03:50 PM »
I just went by Crystal lake in Dry Mills and so end is almost wide open,From Camp Gregory to launch ramp.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 10, 2024, 12:38 PM »
Was at Moosehead from wed. to Sunday. I would say the lake lost 3 inches of ice in that time and lots of open water around rocks and where there is a current. the ice has turn real soft .

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #37 on: Mar 11, 2024, 05:37 AM »
Sad to see spring on the doorstep, but I'm glad it is stopping me from going out and ending up swimming. I rolled a dog sled in Quebec 2 weeks ago and darn near busted my tailbone. Can't even think of jigging and sitting no matter how many pillows are involved.
 Just staying inside. Wifes orders!  >:( >:(
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.