The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Throw ropes  (Read 4856 times)

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Throw ropes
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2017, 01:02 PM »
Great commentary and tips, especially at the start of the season.   Though many on here have been fishing the ice for years, there are always some new to the sport looking to learn.  I know these boards helped me out when I got into it a few years ago - for that I thank all of you experienced vets out there willing to share your knowledge.

It's good seeing the messages of spring holes and inconsistencies in the ice - could be easy to assume because there's 8" ice where we just drilled, there will be at least 6" ten feet away. 

We all love the hobby but likely not any, or at least many of us, willing to die over it.  Best wishes for a safe and fun season to all.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:34 AM »
Many of us carry a throw bag or rescue rope when we are on the ice, especially in the early part of the season when the ice is thin. These can save a life, but only if they are thrown with accuracy. I just want to  remind everyone that now is a good time to practice throwing on dry land. Most people find an underhand throw easiest, but try overhand and lobbing it, too. When you start consistently hitting your target, practice while wearing your ice fishing jacket. One final thought. Keep your throw bag dry. It won't work if it's frozen.

Great tip. Everyone be safe and have a great ice season

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:26 AM »
i know this is an old thread but though it should get some new eyeballs on it with first ice.  everyone be safe and tight lines.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 07, 2018, 03:28 PM »
I carry 50' of tight wove nylon rope with a boat bumper with a 3' loop on both ends so one can slide it over head and under arms. no time for knots in a rescues moment . This time of year its in my sled always .Spring holes and any where a brook runs into a body of water are still not frozen solid they just look the same from a distance.

Offline They Eat Ducks !!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "My fishin' partner" my daughter !!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2018, 06:22 PM »
The time to practice is at last ice, I have been ice fishing for 35 yrs and late ice is much more dangerous than 1st ice which is very strong black ice. I have gone in 3 times on late ice. I had 8' honeycomb under my feet and turn into slush, and every time I tried to get out it would collapse under me, the only way to get out is by putting a sled under you and someone pull you out. I have broke ribs while trying to get out. 3' of black ice will easily hold 2+ people standing together.  JUST SAYING !!!!!   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.