New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091792 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
I found some selective trout 2 line on ebay fairly cheap and also some Rio Mainstream for a decent price (35 bucks).  The Ms. suggested to me about a trip for her and I to go down that way this Sunday (Sunday Drive) and to stop in a say hello

PS post 500 for me ;D ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I found some selective trout 2 line on ebay fairly cheap and also some Rio Mainstream for a decent price (35 bucks).  The Ms. suggested to me about a trip for her and I to go down that way this Sunday (Sunday Drive) and to stop in a say hello

PS post 500 for me ;D ;D
hey congrats i almost missed that.... :thumbsup: sunday could happen in the morning for me...blondzilla is dragging me to church for a friends babys baptism...plus its a good idea  for me to thank the big guy for throwing me back..... : ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: we'll figure this out...i dont mind driving up your way... i gotta learn where ya live soon....gotta find that book for ya.....

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
gotta get the kitchen done up first, because of the construction, the whole house is destroyed-well kinda--we'll get you up here sometime--got a couple great private ponds to fish from the boat--no real good trout fishing though-just the areas that they stock and the rest of the areas we fish are all public (Lower woods, Belmont, Lackawanna State Park) maybe a little later in the spring when the river gets right You come up and we can drift the Mighty Susquehanna River for smallies and wallys and musky--got some good spots ;)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
now i want to dust off my fly fishing outfit, and try again. at least hocke12 can coach me this time. alone, it was ugly! :o
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
we can be quite an inspiring group at times ;D

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
congrats topher. hope i reach a milestone some day! ::)
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
this site will help ya get learning.....   al caucci flyfishing    hes got good hatch charts.... ;)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
you guys got any ????? on this stuff ..let me know...i was lucky enough to build some of these trout unlimited guys cabins up here....i'm not as good as them but i can get the info & tips..... ;)2

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
heres my guide...the fly tying ..up land dog training ...bum.....   rainbowsend homepage    this guy is real good...hit his links and check out his bird hunting thing...we can do that hunt for a 1oo.oo a man 3 to 4 in a group...if i get him drunk  on burbon maybe cheaper.... ;) ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
congrats topher. hope i reach a milestone some day! ::)

ok Mr. almost 3k in a year :o ;)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i'm gaining on him... ;) if i gotta post 40 a day... ;) ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: doesnt somebody on here have something like 8000 post ???????? ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
one of the Team Maine Mods--billditrite  8500 something

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
thats some chat time... :o :o :o

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think he's been here since the beginning--'96?

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
that's dedication....i don't even stay with the same phone company that long.... ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
little goof on my part---only since 2004 ::)  pooley's got him beat for posts per day though-almost double

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I got my eye on a nice Orvis Battenkill w/ a spare spool and 1 with floating and 1 with sinking tip line ---I got time yet ;)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I got my eye on a nice Orvis Battenkill w/ a spare spool and 1 with floating and 1 with sinking tip line ---I got time yet ;)
now ya cooking.....i gotta get some shad darts...left most of mine on the rocks under the callicoon bridge.... ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
holehawg--hang on to that fly rod for now--we won't be coming down that way tomorrow..hope I catch you in time not to sit around waiting for us to visit--stopped in today at a little fly shop between Nicholson and Lenox--took me out in his yard with a practice rod and reel and showed me how to cast a couple different ways and with a lot of beginners luck I got it figured out--even the Ms. took one out to try and she's almost a natural--took about 10 minutes and she was casting out a long ways-- ;)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
like i said...its really fun and not that hard once ya get going....the rods yours when ever ya want it...found the match the hatch book for ya too... :thumbsup:...maybe your lady will take it up too.... :thumbsup:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well....as long as this is a BS thread---an hour and a half and 3 stitches later--- ::)for those of you that haven't done it before-do not separate frozen hamburgers with a sharp knife while holding them in your other hand---this qualifies for stupid thing of the month for me--I forgot how good a shot or 2 of novacaine feels-DUH  :wacko: definately my "here's your sign" award

I gotta look up knots so I can figure out how to tie the leader to the flyline and tippet to the leader---this fly fishing stuff IS fun-so far-- ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 google up  killroys fly tying knots   every knot ya need to know...plus cortland makes this great product that ya slip on the dry fly line that has a loop on it and ya heat the shrink hose connecting the 2 together.. last years..then all ya gotta tie is leaders and flies....man topher..sorry about the hand ...you'll not alone on that one...once i went up to the farm to help some buddys cut up a beefer...we got in the beer / black velvet...i came home looking like edward scissor hands.... ;) ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
what pound leader/tippet should I use--the leader material I got is 9' 4x-same diameter as 20 lb fluoro-did check out that site, but my knots that I tried from that site--I guess I need practice cuz I can't make them look right or even hold-- ::)might be the painkillers though :whistle: :cookoo: n  gonna keep trying--for the tippet should I use 4 lb or 6lb fluoro?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
ouch! been there, done that topher. :P chopped 1/3 the nail bed, and the very tip of my thumb off cutting up chicken wing, while drunk. had about 6 left,of 100lbs of wings!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
just for S n G--I'll get a picture of my "stupidity--cool thing is the hemostats and scissors are in my posession ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i pretty much fish with 4LB leaders...trout ...bass...panfish...sh ad...4LB has always worked for me...yea the knot thing is tough...I'm still a little bumbley with my fly fishing knots too...try that loop connection thing from cortland...then ya just use clinch knots to tie fly's on...that's how i avoid wasting time stream side....plus i buy the cortland tapered leaders...easy-er.... ;) ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
You guys have to rename this the TS thread (Trout school?)  ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
You guys have to rename this the TS thread (Trout school?)  ;)
it won't stay on any subject long enough, but BS! ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
I used the fly rod for the first time this last fall and landed three salmon at the north trestle on the salmon river. it was a blast!!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.