Author Topic: Fly Reels for Jigging ?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
Fly Reels for Jigging ?
« on: Dec 26, 2011, 01:50 PM »
I usually bring a handful of jigging rods out on the ice with me.  I decided to buy a fly reel to put on one of them this year after seeing some friends use them last year. 

For those of you who use fly reels, what are the advantages and disadvantages?   I would think there would be less line twist or memory with a fly reel, but that it might take longer to get your bait down to the fish in deeper water.

Thanks in advance.   
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fly Reels for Jigging ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2011, 03:46 PM »
Okuma SLV 2/3
Ice Tech Razer
Frabill Straight line combo
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2011, 04:07 PM »
I don't fish in very deep water so getting the jig down isn't an issue. The line retrieval is 1 to 1 so you can't
reel in as fast as a reel that may be 5 or 6 to 1. The line twist is virtually eliminated.

Offline snuffcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2011, 06:33 PM »
I just rigged up a couple rods with fly reels too. From what I've read on this site and others, panfish will sit and stare at spinning jigs and are more likely to hit jigs that aren't spinning. I just started using electronics for hard water fishing a couple years ago, and the biggest surprise to me is how many fish come up to jigs and don't bite. I mean, spit off the side of the boat in the summer and panfish are on it, I'm very surprised at how finicky they can be through the ice. I know water temp. and other things are factors, but eventhough I use barrel swivels with my spinning gear, I can't help wondering how many bites a spinning jig has cost me?May be not many, may be a bunch? I'm hopin the fly reel will answer that question for me. :-\

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2011, 02:52 PM »
I switched to fly reels last year, and my catch on big bluegills was up from catching maybe one a season, to catching more gills than perch.....and im fishing the same spots.  spinning jigs?  Maybe.  Not sure what the deal was there, but last year we caught some dandy gills.  both my father and I, and we both switched to fly reels. 

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2011, 04:42 PM »
 You won't be sorry with the fly reels. I fish down as deep as 21 ft. to catch gills and crappies. But most of my fishing is in 4 to 8 ft.. I just use reg. jigs (not tungsten) just haven't taken the leap yet. Just hand pull the line off the reel and watch your eletr. as your jig goes down. You might want to take apart you reels and take out the spring and brake gear because like a lot of us it might drive you nuts. The sound of it will let everyone around you know you are catching fish!!!!! Just use a lrg. rubber band to put around your reel sideways, overspool to keep it from spinning. I myself have a old bicycle inner tube and cut small thin strips for the rubber band they don't weather rot as much.

Offline Gnatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:08 PM »
I agree with Bassbull. But I don't take apart the reel, I just turn the click off...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:39 AM »
If you're catching fish from deeper water, the slower retreive speed will help reduce airbladder blow ups.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hobobob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Tried the 1st time last year using a large arbor fly reel. Hooked immediately. This year I am all fly reel except for 1 spinning setup for quick drops.  Instead of hand pulling, I just back reel the lines out. I feel to have more control on the drop when back reeling.

Offline snuffcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Got out for the first time today, and although I got small fish, I'm a believer in the fly reel. Many more willing fish, especially when I stopped the jig and let it hang for a couple seconds.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Im not a fly fisherman at all and know nothing about it. Any recomendations on fly reels and how to use them? Also can you mount them on any rod?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:52 AM »
Im not a fly fisherman at all and know nothing about it. Any recomendations on fly reels and how to use them? Also can you mount them on any rod?
I have the drag loose and hold the line between my index finger and middle finger against the rod handle when setting the hook.I then palm the reel with my left hand to play a fish.My reels
are mounted to rods with Tennessee handles and not an actual seat for a fly reel. It helps to have a handle long enough in front of the reel to hold it while playing a fish. I use Okuma's which are
good reels for the money.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.