Author Topic: Brookies throught the ice?  (Read 7018 times)

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
Brookies throught the ice?
« on: Jan 06, 2003, 09:29 AM »
I was wondering if anybody ever fished brookies through the ice. I live in the Adirondacks and there aren't many lakes where u can fish for brookies through hardwater but there are a few and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips. Like what to use for bait and how deep to fish etc......
thanks
~AdkIceman~
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Re: Brookies throught the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2003, 12:30 AM »
AdkIceman  I'm surprised that the Maine fisherman haven't given you a response. Fish for them the same way as other trout but down-size your presentation.I would repost on Maine page, I'm sure the Down Mainers  have special tactics for Brookies
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2003, 12:37 AM »
Fish shallow,say 2 to 5 feet.Rocky shorelines and points.Use worms for bait under tip ups.Brookies do not move much so if you don't get hits in one area try another.

Offline Russellman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2003, 01:38 AM »
Salmotrutta is right - fish shallow, use smallish baits (2-3" minnows), & fish up tight to the shore.  My pet theory is that the trout chase the baitfish up into the shallows & corral them to eat.  I've caught most of the brookies on traps in 2-3 feet of water.
Russellman

trapperdirk

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2003, 08:24 PM »
We fish alot of brook trout in this area of ontario.worms are great but sometimes a salted minnow is better when we are not allowed to use live bait.Like some of the others have said,fish shallow,2-6 ft and restrict your movements on the ice.Use light line 6lb is plenty. Then hang on. A 4lb speckle will make 20lb pike feel like rock bass.We catch some here that reach 7lbs.An 8 inch hole is to small.They,re like a football.Then don,t tell anybody where you got him. ;)

wick

« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2003, 04:41 PM »
my cousin cought a 17ince brookie through the ice a few weeks ago and i heard it snaped his fishing pole. Man would i love to catch one like that.

Skyman

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2003, 07:45 AM »
I'm from Ontario too.  Just outside Algonquin Park.  Most of my ice fishing is for specs.  Even small brook trout will eat large minnows.  You want minnows 3 to 4 inches long.  As everybody else stated work shallow.  I've caught 3 lb specs with only 1' of water under the ice.  The best spot to fish which has not been mentioned is shallow muck bottom bays.  If it has an inflow of water even better.  Green weeds and dead trees are brookie magnets too.

:'(

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Its not the Kill,Its the Thrill of the Chase"
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2003, 04:06 PM »
BLUE MT. LAKE HAS BROOKTROUT,FISH THE SHORELINES,I ALWAYS SET A FEW TIPUPS ON THE SHORELINES WHILE FISHIN FOR LAKERS THERE & HAVE HAD PRETTY GOOD LUCK WITH THE BROOKIES.

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2003, 08:38 AM »
troutinator i have heard people say fish close to shore for trout threw the ice but how close are we talkin here?

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2003, 08:40 AM »
how big do the brookies run in Blue Mt?

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2003, 01:51 PM »
I FISH ON A ROAD OFF RT. 28,CALLED THE HEDGES,ITS A DEAD END,PARK RIGHT AT THE END,THERES A SIGN THAT SAYS PRIVATE ON A TREE, ITS NOT FOR THE ICE FISHERMAN,THE CARE TAKERS REAL NICE,JUST AS LONG AS YOU DON'T LEAVE A MESS.JUST A LITTLE TO THE RIGHT OF THAT SIGN,THERE'S A TRAIL TO THE LAKE,FISH THE SHORE LINE TO THE LEFT,START 75 YARDS DOWN THE SHORE LINE & ABOUT 10 TO 20 YARDS OFF THE SHORE LINE,YOU'LL BE SURPRISED HOW IT DROPS OFF THERE,TRY TO GET IN ABOUT 8-10FT. OF WATER, DON'T BE AFRAID TO PUT A FEW OUT FOR THEM LAKERS,50 YDS. OUT YOU'LL BE IN 30-40FT.I FISH 2FT. OFF BOTTOM FOR BROOKIES,TRY SOME 1/2 way DOWN ALSO. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2003, 01:55 PM »
I'VE CAUGHT THEM 15- 18" , I'D SAY 15" AVE., FRIEND OF MINE GOT ONE 21" TWO YEARS AGO.TO ME THOSE ARE NICE BROOKIES!

WalleyeWarrior

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2003, 06:42 PM »
I caught a few yesterday fishing in about 5 feet of water . . but it sure was cold out!!!  :'(

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2003, 01:30 AM »
I'LL BET,DON'T REALLY MIND THE COLD,BUT THAT WIND WAS A LITTLE MUCH.STILL BETTER THAN WORK-LOL-. :'(

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2003, 12:52 PM »
thanks for all the help troutinator

NAD42

« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2003, 04:41 PM »
there's some slammers in Blue MT. ADKiceman.

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2003, 01:34 PM »
troutinator are u using little perch minnows on your tip ups and are u jiggin for them at all? Thinkin about heading up there next week.
~Thanx~

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2003, 02:33 AM »
I CAUGHT THEM ALL ON SMELT,IM SURE THEY WOULD HIT ICESICLES & PERCH SHINERS.I'M NOT A BIG JIGGER,JUST FOR SMELT FOR BAIT.

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2003, 07:19 AM »
Hope to be heading up there tommorrow if my buddies are game. Lake george might be a little too crowded and windy for me. Hopefully we can ice a big spec. Thanx for all the help and directions.
~AdkIceman~

mooseslayer

Re:Brookies throught the ice?
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2003, 02:01 AM »
HEY ADKICEMAN UP N.MAINE WE USUALLY FISH 2 TO 12FT. OF WATER WITH LITE LINE W/SZ.6 OCTOPUSS HOOKS. SET 6IN. UNDER THE ICE W/SMELT OR SMALL SHINERS.CRAWLERS WORK WELL TOO,ESPECIALLY WHEN THEIR NOT VERY AGGRESIVE.SET THEM 12IN. OFF BOTTOM.TRY BOUNCING A GOLD OR COPPER KASTMASTER OFF THE BOTTOM THEN RAISING A FT. THEN PAUSE.TIP YOUR LURE W/A SHINER TAIL OR CRAWLER.I LIKE TO PUT OUT 5 TIP UPS AND PULL ONE UP AT A TIME ,JIG IT FOR A WHILE PUT IT BACK THEN TO THE NEXT ONE AND SO ON .SOME TIMES THEY'LL CHECK OUT THE BAIT BUT WONT TAKE. WHEN YOU DROP THAT LURE DOWN THERE THATS ALL THEY NEED TO STRIKE. GOOD LUCK AND TIGHT LINES!

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:34 PM »
I mainy target Brookies and Brownies on the hard ice (although northers are on my list this year)
 What works best for me is  a leader that is 6-8lbs and a #6-#8 single hook with a spinner and read beads on them. Silver or floresent orange blades seem to work best. Square tails will feal a hook in there mouth very easy and spit the bait so the smaller the better.Also the sooner you get there the better. I have very good luck useing 2-3" smelts but night crawlers are the best! For some reason they don't toy with it they just whale on 'um. brook inlets near sand or medium sized rock arew great spots to look. 5' or less of water produces better than 5-10'.
Anthony

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2004, 11:22 AM »
try just off shore within a few feet or so..also the feed of the lake is helpful smelts shivers,etc  also nite crawlers work...good luck.................. .jr
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2004, 02:35 PM »
Fish about 3-15ft of water, about 7 is the best. I like shrimpo jigs tipped with meal worm or wax worm.
Small shiners also work
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.