Author Topic: wow i got schooled today  (Read 3385 times)

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
wow i got schooled today
« on: Mar 16, 2003, 10:32 AM »
The trout made me look silly today. I swear to god that these trout do not have peas for brains. I was fishin a private pond(have permission) has very large rainbows in it average size 18 inches. And me and my buddy set up tip ups 5-10 feet below the ice. I had about a dozen flags where i was either picked in about 5 seconds of the flag going off or would take out 10 yds of line then spit it. I was fishin with 8lb test fluorocarbon leaders, tiny little red octopus hooks, a small slpit shot, and all my tip ups where hair triggered and the reels turn smoothly, i was usin small perch minners for bait. I dont see what i could have done wrong except the trout were just being trout. :( anyone have any comments. OH i managed to hook one jigging, but he took line to fast and wrapped me around a dock i was fishing close too. lol nice day though.
AdkIceman
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

NAD42

Re: wow i got schooled today
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2003, 02:15 PM »
hey Iceman...I heard of an ol timer on lake george that had the same problem with salmon doing that...I guess he tied a knot that stopped the line at 10-15 yards and bingo...hook set!!!

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2003, 04:06 PM »
yea i have though about doing that but what happens after the hook set, the fish could break the line is there a way to like make a little drag system so a big fish simply wouldn't yank until he popped it?
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2003, 04:11 AM »
Hey Adkiceman, I have said it before, who knows how a fish thinks?  Did you try just leaving the drops and see if the fish come back and take the minnow they just killed?  I would try going back one or two more times.  Sometimes fish hit out of instinct (the bait is there and they just wack it even though they may not be hungry).  This could have been the case the day you were there.  Another day they may be feeding and you will hook every one?
Personaly for rainbows I would drop to 6 or even 4 lb test leaders and a #6 or 8 wire hook?
I saw your posting on Bonapart, I drive by the lake all the time but have never fished it.  Lots do though?
Luck to ya and stay dry Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Solved Hooking Problems
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2003, 11:39 PM »
Hook it as a quick strike rig. If you have questions about quick strike rigs, ask mackdaddy, he knows lots of stuff about them, he helped me tremendously. Any fish that hits on tip up will be hooked!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

grumpymoe

Re:wow i got schooled today
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2003, 08:33 AM »
dogfish is leading the right way with super light mono. use a stinger as well to nail the little bu__ers :'(

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2003, 06:37 PM »
 You can catch a pretty good - sized trout on 4#. Honestly will improve your hook-ups...But if you go lite/go quality , line,rod, and reel with a good drag .

shmeltz

« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2004, 09:26 AM »
years back when i hooked minnows- smelt - shinners through the back dorsal fin I would have the same problem espesially when fishing for landlocked salmon, when i started hooking them through the lips, small very sharp hooks {trebles if allowed} this problem stopped completly, now if a fish even swims by to look they hook themselves, no kidding!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.