Author Topic: lakers on light tackle  (Read 2853 times)

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
lakers on light tackle
« on: Feb 09, 2014, 12:41 PM »
Plan on chasing Lakers this weekend. I ALWAYS use light gear. One rod has 3# flouro the other has 4#. Both have great reels. I see everyone recommends stronger line for Lakers, however I use these setups for walleye and burbot and have had no issues playing/bringing in the fish. Is this going to be an issue for Lakers? I feel that if my drag is set properly I'll be fine.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: lakers on light tackle
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:04 PM »
I don't know how big your Lakers are, big Lakers are old fish, most guys who target big Lakers are catch and release type of guys. The problem with such light line is that you exhaust the fish too much for a successful release.

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:10 PM »
just have a long enough rod for those big head shakes!
Pete

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:13 PM »
I don't know how big your Lakers are, big Lakers are old fish, most guys who target big Lakers are catch and release type of guys. The problem with such light line is that you exhaust the fish too much for a successful release.

We'll be keeping all legal fish, and if we get lucky and limit out we'll target perch. If I'm going for trophy fish I'll use trophy tackle. Lately I've been fishing for tasty meals! 20" is the average fish.

Offline zackblain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2014, 03:29 PM »
smaller fish you'll be fine with 3 and 4# just remember to check for nicks and frays in your line if they thrash around the hole

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:27 PM »
My experience has been losing the small ones; 20 " or less at the hole. I switched to a stiffer fiberglass rod and a minimum of 8# test and improved my catch rate. Lakers have a much tougher mouth to set the hook in as compared to a rainbow which is what I am used to.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:48 PM »
That was something I was wondering about. They look tough

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2014, 04:10 PM »
I don't know where you fish but I'm catching them anywhere from 80-170 fow if your using mono there is alot of stretch in that much line I had a big problem dropping them even with 6#

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Flouro doesn't stretch as much as mono but that's something I hadn't thought about. I have braid but it freezes badd.

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2014, 05:51 AM »
I only jig in my t shirt with the heater on high so I never even thought about it freezing

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2014, 09:58 PM »
I helped a friend land a laker that went almost 25lbs on 4# mono. Although I wouldn't suggest it, it can be done! A good reel is key. Another tip for any line, set the drag crazy tight until after you get a good hook set. They dobt seem to run right away anyways do there is plenty of time to listen after s good hook set.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:03 PM »
I don't suggest a really tight drag off the bat with the hook set but I do thumb my spool on my caster's or lay my finger on the spool for spinning reels when setting the hook.then you know where your drag is without touching anything but you still get a tight hard set.just what I do

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.