The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lakes close to Minneapolis  (Read 1728 times)

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lakes close to Minneapolis
« on: Sep 09, 2019, 08:21 PM »
Question for you all.....  I'm from Ohio and my brother lives in downtown Minneapolis.   I wanna go visit him this winter and possibly ice fish there, but maybe only an hour from downtown.  Any suggestions on the lake?   It will be a 13 hour drive for me, so wanna keep it close to downtown..

thanks....

Offline littlepineguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lakes close to Minneapolis
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2019, 10:13 AM »
I escaped the city awhile ago, but while I was there the only 'city' lake on which I had good success was Lake of the Isles (mostly small/medium crappies). Bad Medicine was okay but that's getting to be 5-8 miles from downtown. Tonka offers a lot of opportunity but now you're 15 miles out.  I don't know much of the bodies East or North of downtown. 

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2019, 12:01 PM »
If your max is an hour from DT there are a handful of options, from the lakes within the 494/694 loop and the ones just outside that. I fish the west side of the cities and there are a lot of options. Medicine, crystal, tonka, prior lake, all get hit hard but are popular panfish lake. People fish isle, Calhoun, nokomis but I don't know much about them. Medicine has a good plowed road usually, and a bait shop right there.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2019, 11:29 PM »
you could hit some of the Wright county lakes which are with in 45 minutes of downtown Minneapolis. from my place in Monticello I easily have 10 plus lakes I can be on in less then 20 miles from my place. some freeze sooner then other so as to which ones to try would depend on when you would be here in MN. Just get on I-94 had head west to Monticello & Wright county.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2019, 11:31 PM »
Just remembered one other one. Lake Waconia is a good lake that is Close to Minneapolis. it is west of the cities on Hwy 5.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2019, 08:10 AM »
East, you have the St. Croix about 30min from downtown.  If you head NE towards the Chisago/Lindstrom area you might pass White Bear, Carnelian(s) or Big Marine to name a few on the way.  Lots of opportunities within 1hr.

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2019, 12:24 PM »
I used to fish Nokomis a bit in the winter. No motorized vehicles or permanent shacks allowed on the city lakes so there's usually fewer people out there

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2019, 01:28 PM »
thanks everyone.  My brother lives very close to Nokomis and that sounds like a place to start.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.