New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake of the Isles  (Read 2307 times)

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
Lake of the Isles
« on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:53 PM »
Anyone familiar with Lake of the Isles, Wellsley Island, St. Lawrence River. I'm not familiar at all, but heard Lake of the Isles is fishable through the ice and that there is a state park with cabins available on Wellsley Island. If I can get some info, I might make this one of my road trips this year. Anyone with info they care to share? Would appreciate it.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake of the Isles
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:40 AM »
Lake of the Isles is good ice fishing, and there is a big state park there.  However I'm sure that the park is closed for buisness and doubt you can rent a cabin.  The 1000 islands bait store would know if you want to give them a call.  1-315-482-9903

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 02:28 PM »
Lake of the Isles is good ice fishing, and there is a big state park there.  However I'm sure that the park is closed for buisness and doubt you can rent a cabin.  The 1000 islands bait store would know if you want to give them a call.  1-315-482-9903

Thanks for the get back. I'll be checking for accommodations and hopefully do an overnighter there.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline PikerDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 04:12 PM »
I fish up there at least twice a year and I've never seen anyone using tha cabins.
A-bay probably the only place to find a place to stay.Its only 5 minutes up the road.

Offline oldfishead

• IceShanty Rookie
  • oldfishheads never die; we just smell that way !!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2005, 05:30 PM »
I FISH IT ACOUPLE TIMES AYEAR TOO . U CCAN RUN INTO NICE GILLS THERE ;D FROM THE BOAT LAUNCH; I USUALLY HEAD OVER TO THE LEFT.   GOOD LUCK!!!  ;D ;D ;D
we are what we eat !!!

dwayne

« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:02 PM »
excellent gill fishing.  that is what I remember from Lake of the Isles when I lived up that way.

billybono

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:36 PM »
never fished it in the winter....but boy what a party spot in the summer  ;D ;D ;D   actually cought some really big gills in there next to people swimming/drinking  ha ha ha

billybono

Offline WalPerPike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:06 PM »
 :tipup:My buddies and I have fished the Lake of the Isles every year since 1973. of the original 11 participants we are still able to get about six or seven guys. The fishing has declined somewhat over the years, but big northerns (10-12lb) are still a possibility. The last ten years or so there are many commercial fisherman after the bluegills. We have always rented cabins at Wellesley Island SP. These cabins are spartan, but comfortable. Originally they had wood box stoves, electricity (for crockpots and coffee makers), and two sets of bunkbeds. They now have propane heaters w/thermostats. We have also brought cots to sleep more guys, if needed. They keep the bathrooms heated and have hot showers. Each cabin has a table and two chairs. There is parking at each cabin for three or four trucks. we have met icefisherman from all over, over the years. Keep in mind that the St. Lawerence River area offers world-class icefishing for just about any fish. Bay of Quinte is just an hour drive from Wellesley Island. Also consider Black Lake, Butterfield Lake, Lake of the Woods, Chamont Bay, Eel bay, and amost every bay on the river to produce. 18lb Northerns, large Walleyes, and spectacular Perch fishing all within an hours drive. The cabins have to be reserved through the NYS Park reservation system. They are very reasonable.
Good Luck and enjoy the area,
WalPerPike

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:59 PM »
WPP, Thanks for the details. You've saved me some leg work. I appreciate it.
Jerry
        Chainsaw

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.