New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cayuga N. End Access  (Read 1314 times)

Offline IRISH56

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cayuga N. End Access
« on: Dec 06, 2005, 02:31 PM »
I've never fished the N. end of Cayuga and am wondering where there is access and where to go??  I live in Dryden so the east side would be preferable.  Thanks in advance - new to the board and am looking forward to checking in regularly and posting when the time comes     DAN

Offline FingerLakesFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Cayuga N. End Access
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2005, 05:32 PM »
Dan I live in S Falls which ius at the N west side.  There are several points of access over here, but if you drive up the East side there a few as well, Not as much parking and the ice can be sketchy at a few places.  !st is at the public launch in Union Springs.  You can fish around the island, ice can be sketchy there because you are  a ways down.  The next might be in Cayuga at the park, Very N end have to be carehul of the channel and the bridge.  I stay to the west side, more traffic from that shore, tends to be the more popular side to leave from.  PLus the bait shop is right there on the water.

Offline Jack Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2005, 06:44 PM »
I'm with FLF, much more access on west side.  Plenty of room to park on the west side at the confluence of Rt. 89 and Lower Lake Rd. south of the park.  Quite the walk out to the chanel markers from the west side though.  Watch for the pressure ridge about 1/3 of the way out.

JH

Offline susquayugafisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:17 AM »
I was at the cottage yesterday,(gotta get my boat out-its still on the lift!!) and the water is still way up, not even close to freezing yet. Talked to Paul at the locks-he said the rain we had really raised the lake. Water was all murky above and below the locks, and the water by the outlet dam was churning. I guess thats a good thing, at least until I can get the boat up to the launch! Duck hunters were out (last day), so I'm going back up Sat or Sun to get the boat.  Hmmmm.... Looks like I'll just have to go to BassPro's Ice Fishing weekend while I'm up there!! ::) ::)

Andy

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2005, 04:39 PM »
IRISH - you might want to try and hook up with someone to fish Cayuga that knows it well.  I have never fished it on the ice (although a lot during summer) and I probably never will.  Far too many people go through on that lake every year on seemingly safe ice.  There is a lot of current up there, which is plainly evident during the summer when it isnt unheard of to be drifting north even when there is a south-blowing wind.  It's usually the same story too - I was fishing on a good 10 or 12 inches, started walking a bit, and then I was swimming.  That kind of fishing is not for me.

Offline FingerLakesFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:18 PM »
Most people who go through the ice do so at the pressure ridge.  Ice from the East shore begins to form at the same time as ice from the West shore.  They meet somewhere in the middle and it acts like two tectonic plates colliding causing a ridge.  People often cross it to fish the channel, on their return to shore, on warmer days, the gap gets wider and weaker.  Usually the water is not that deep.  However cold none the less.  A few years back there were some guys fishing real late ice!!!  Who got stranded out there, could have happened any where.  They shouldn't have been there to begin with. They went threw, got wet and had to get rescued.  No one died.  But for over 30 years I have fished it and know nothing of these weak spots?   I have heard on them on Honoeye, Onieda just to name a few, but never Cayuga.  Just like any lake it is to be respected, because as all ice fisherman know, conditions change.  So nothing to be scared of.  Would recommend teaming up with some one.  Other wise a gem of a lake that usually in not that crowded.  The walk scares people away.  A long way to the channel, but many people do it day in and out.  Most locals know about the ridge and do not push it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.