Author Topic: best reel?  (Read 4990 times)

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
best reel?
« on: Nov 07, 2005, 09:49 AM »
whats everyones opinion for best reel for a jig rod?

hali-man

Re: best reel?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2005, 10:15 AM »
Wow! You use your Stradic on the ice, SB?
I've been thinking about it, but am worried about the wear and tear they would have to endure. Do you use a different type of lubrication for the hard water?
They are truly superior reels, and I wouldn't want anything happening to them.
I've always used cheaper reels for the ice, but I may break out a Shimano this year.

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Hey that's exactly why I pay $120 for a reel... 
...You definitely want to use it on the ice, trust me, they're made to take it.

Thanks, I will.  8)
I've had a 1000FH and a 2500FH for two years now, and I love them!

dwayne

« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2005, 11:38 AM »
Hey that's exactly why I pay $120 for a reel.  I want to be able to get my money's worth and I have already. My brother has had two Stradics for over 5 seasons and they have seen it all from freezing rain to rain to subzero temps and they still work flawlessly.  Mine is going on it's 3rd season of hard use and abuse both on and off the ice at the walleye pond and it's awesome.  You definitely want to use it on the ice, trust me, they're made to take it.

120 bucks?  Can definitely tell you are not a married man slipbob.   :o

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2005, 02:48 PM »
Since most of my fishing is toward panfish I use a small reel.  I use the Pflueger Micro Spin reels with 4 ball bearing and weight of 4.8 oz.  For a reel just under $25.00 they really take a beaten and have not had any problems.  I also like the Tica reels, but I only have one since they are a little pricey.  They're cheap compared to the Stratus though! 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2005, 04:10 PM »
How is the drag on the Pflueger?  I have yet to see a panfish reel that doesn't get all herky-jerky when a you hook up with a  bass or pickerel.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2005, 04:15 PM »
I think the tiny twenty is a fine panfish reel.  Last year when I was going to get another one the associate at Gander pointed out the Gander equivalent and I liked it even better.  I don't know the model number, but it's about the same as the tiny twenty with a little bigger paddle on the handle.
I also got two St. Croix combos the same day and was very disappointed -- again, I can't remember the model.  The reels were very gummy below zero even after I re lubed them.  One of the tips developed a set in it after I left a jig hooked to the line clip for a weekend.  It was bent for good.  I don't know if there's a way to fix that.  I just dumped it in the corner of the basement and haven't looked back.  St. Croix is one of my favorite fly rod makers and I"d never had a problem before that.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Last year I decided to go all out on my reels and bought a new Shimano Symetre 750 and a Quantum Catylst, i think it's a 10 or something like that.  I like the Catalyst because of the easy bail flip, but the Symetre has the best drag hands down!  I've fought northerns for 20 mins. w/ no probs.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2005, 04:33 PM »
i have 2- 3ball bearing shakespere sigma reels . 1 ive had for 5yrs now. use em' for togue and whitefish. they both have great drags and at $18 each at walmart they are affordable. ive landed a 6.5 lber on the oldest one.

dwayne

« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2005, 04:41 PM »
I like the quantum xl reels.  They are affordable and seem to work good in cold temps.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2005, 04:55 PM »
"What is the best reel for a jig rod" depends on what you are willing to spend. I've been using the A-G Cardinal 300 series reels for 3 years with no problems. They aren't too expensive (about $40), have IAR, 7 bearings, smooth drag, light weight and have held up. If you're very discriminate there is a slight amount of noticeable wobble you can feel in the handle.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2005, 06:05 PM »
I bought a Pflueger Trion 7 Bb and must say the drag feels awesome. I havent used it yet but cant wait. This definetly puts the combo reels to shame. $60 canadian for it and every cent is well worth it.
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2005, 06:18 PM »
It's hard to beat a Shimano Sedona 750.  ;)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2005, 06:48 PM »
I like the lightest reel possible that has sufficient line capacity for the species I'm after. When fishing for trout and pike you need line capacity for heavier line and a good smooth drag. I almost always use a spinning reel, but for pike and big trout a lighter low profile baitcaster works good on ice. Instant anti reverse is a must in my mind to get good hooksets.
I like my Shimano Sahara 1000, Quantum Icon baitcaster, Daiwa Regal 1500, and also I would like to try the Ray Scott Supercaster, as it has a big line capacity and is a pretty light 8.7 ounces.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

hali-man

« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2005, 07:38 AM »
I would like to try the Ray Scott Supercaster, as it has a big line capacity and is a pretty light 8.7 ounces.

Has anyone ever used, much less seen one of these?

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2005, 06:46 PM »
Has anyone ever used, much less seen one of these?

I have seen them. They are a pricey 150.00. But they are very light and have a super large spool for extra capacity and superior casting distances, keeping line memory to a minimum and reducing tangles.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2005, 02:22 PM »
I use the same reels I use in open water-Shimano Symetre 1000's. Silky smooth drag,unaffected by frigid temps.They never let me down.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
Wear and tear
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2005, 12:33 AM »
Wow! You use your Stradic on the ice, SB?
I've been thinking about it, but am worried about the wear and tear they would have to endure. Do you use a different type of lubrication for the hard water?
They are truly superior reels, and I wouldn't want anything happening to them.
I've always used cheaper reels for the ice, but I may break out a Shimano this year.

You will get no more wear and tear on hardwater than soft. But if you are worried about it, open it up and put straight reel oil on the gears, than you will not get the freeze affect you can experance in cold weather. Remember to grease up again in the spring.

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2005, 12:56 AM »
I use small Quantum reels during the hard water season. Never had any problems with them. Keep them lubed up like stated above. During open water I use Shimano.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2005, 09:16 AM »
I bought a Pflueger Trion 7 Bb and must say the drag feels awesome. I havent used it yet but cant wait. This definetly puts the combo reels to shame. $60 canadian for it and every cent is well worth it.

I also use the Pflueger Trion 7BB reels.  Let me tell you for the money you can't go wrong.  I think they cost me $30 ea with a spare spool.  I bought the middle reel model and it works great for everything in the summer as well as winter.  They do get stiff in the winter though so this year I think I will clean out the grease and use some light oil and see if that helps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.