Author Topic: Ice Flies, Ants  (Read 2475 times)

finn

Ice Flies, Ants
« on: Jan 19, 2005, 10:34 AM »
I need help in finding patterns  ??? for "Ice Flies", is there a general pattern and can I tie them myself? I have experience in tying trout and bass fly patterns. Thanks :tipup:

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Re: Ice Flies, Ants
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2005, 10:44 AM »
Finn, I too have wondered about some good ice patterns to tie.I tie my own flies as well. I think that some scud patterns in bright and dark colors would work well and I bet some Big Hexagenia patterns would also work Not too many guys tie up ice flies I think it would be a good to come up with some cool patterns.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2005, 04:43 PM »
Some guys tie beadheaded larger fly/streamer patters and tip them with a waxie for trout and pansies around here. As for ants, the custom jigs and spins nuclear ant is an awesome lure for any fish that swims, especially panfish and trout though. Tip them with a single waxie or better yet some spikes if you can get them.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline asleepin my shanty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigan Goatboys
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Years ago there was a fly pattern in field and stream I think, using a very small jig head and I think pheasant tail. I have some here some place and maybe the pattern to boot I'll look around
JOHN
Living down by the lake, in my shanty, waiting for the ice

finn

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2005, 12:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I tied up some scuds in different colors and would be interested in the pattern with the pheasant tail and jig heads. Big Red on Ice states he uses a "Lake George Rig" Bell sinker and two scuds tied above. Rigging suggestions would be helpful  :) I will put this to use on Lake George this coming week. I know when the freshwater shrimp are out the perch bite has slowed down except for very small presentations.

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2005, 12:18 PM »
finn, Heres a pattern that i have good luck with.

http://www.westfly.com/patterns/wet/scud.shtml

Ron
Bobberstop

bib brother

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2005, 11:41 AM »
ZUG BUG  easy to tie and works consistently, you don't even have to tip it sometimes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.