Author Topic: Shops for big baits  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shops for big baits
« on: Jan 11, 2022, 10:12 AM »
I'm as excited as the next guy to get on some ice this weekend. Just wondering where you guys get bigger-sized baits for pike. I'm in the southeast corner and usually get shiners from Fish Connection in Gales Ferry or River's End in Old Saybrook. They are great shops and I appreciate them staying open in the winter, but they usually don't have any big shiners or suckers (although they will charge "pike bait" prices for heavy mediums, haha). A couple years ago I took a ride to TAGs and stocked up for the season, and last year I stocked up at Sanzeri's because I was frequently fishing in the NW corner, but both places are an hour-plus drive for me. Just wondering if I'm missing any bait shops closer to the SE corner that sell good pike baits. I'm hoping to take a ride somewhere either Thursday or Friday after work, both to get bait and do some scouting. Thanks.  :tipup:

Offline westfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shops for big baits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2022, 11:11 AM »
Not sure if it's on your way heading to the NE corner or what their status is this winter but I've gotten shiners at Dee's Bait & Tackle - it's a nice helpful shop.  I haven't been there this winter - not sure they have large live baits but I think they have frozen.

93 Clay St
New Haven, CT, CT 06513-3505
(203) 562-7025

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2022, 11:19 AM »
I don't know the bait laws in CT but I follow a guy on instagram who sells wild caught golden shiners, fallfish, suckers, mummies, etc. and will deliver them to you.  If you are interested and think it is legal give me a PM and I can share his social media info.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2022, 04:14 PM »
Its legal to catch and use them just not sell them and you can buy them in CT and use them in Ma...just cant buy in Ma.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:26 AM »
Careful Papa. You can legally buy Goldens inct and legally use them in MA, but crossing state lines with live baitfish is a no no.
(f) Importation of Baitfish. Only commercial baitfish defined in 4.01 (8)(a) may be imported for use and sale as bait by a licensed dealer. Importation of any live fish, other than aquarium trade fish as defined in 321 CMR 9.01(2),  requires an importation permit from the Director, including commercial baitfish.

I don't think they have many live bait checkpoints at the border, but just sayin.

Offline ImmovingtoMaine,OUCH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2022, 05:26 AM »
Bobs Bait in Bozrah……he has come through big time in the past, just highly recommend callling him first and ask if he’s got Pike Bait. It may be goldens, giant Arkansas shiners, fallfish. Just call first.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2022, 06:53 AM »
Careful Papa. You can legally buy Goldens inct and legally use them in MA, but crossing state lines with live baitfish is a no no.
(f) Importation of Baitfish. Only commercial baitfish defined in 4.01 (8)(a) may be imported for use and sale as bait by a licensed dealer. Importation of any live fish, other than aquarium trade fish as defined in 321 CMR 9.01(2),  requires an importation permit from the Director, including commercial baitfish.

I don't think they have many live bait checkpoints at the border, but just sayin.
the rules are so vague that I keep a permit in my wallet that says I'll do what I want. But I know alot of guys that buy in bulk from Anderson and it's a free online form one time import lic. Takes an hour usually to get. The bait dealers name is on the license along with yours

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Never heard of Bob's Bait so I'll have to check it out. New Haven is about the same ride for me as TAGs in Plainville. Also I'm not on social media (aside from iceshanty) so I'd have no way to contact the (potential) black market bait guy.
I found a bag of frozen suckers from last year in the garage freezer after I posted, so those will do the trick if I can't find any big baits. And of course I can try to jig some up.
Thanks again and good luck out there.  :tipup:

Offline pepperdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2022, 08:58 AM »
Another dead-bait option is frozen or fresh smelt (most decent grocery stores/seafood places).....pike love.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2022, 10:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Never heard of Bob's Bait so I'll have to check it out. New Haven is about the same ride for me as TAGs in Plainville. Also I'm not on social media (aside from iceshanty) so I'd have no way to contact the (potential) black market bait guy.
I found a bag of frozen suckers from last year in the garage freezer after I posted, so those will do the trick if I can't find any big baits. And of course I can try to jig some up.
Thanks again and good luck out there.  :tipup:

Tags distributes bait.  Tom can do larger orders for those who want to buy bulk and store.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2022, 03:03 PM »
Went to TAGs yesterday. They get suckers in tomorrow (Thursday). A few of my large ones didn’t make it home so at this point in the day might be worth waiting for tomorrow’s delivery of fresh big bait.

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06:29 PM »
You can order suckers from Jack at the fish connection buy by the pound.

Offline Evand1209

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:50 PM »
I'm as excited as the next guy to get on some ice this weekend. Just wondering where you guys get bigger-sized baits for pike. I'm in the southeast corner and usually get shiners from Fish Connection in Gales Ferry or River's End in Old Saybrook. They are great shops and I appreciate them staying open in the winter, but they usually don't have any big shiners or suckers (although they will charge "pike bait" prices for heavy mediums, haha). A couple years ago I took a ride to TAGs and stocked up for the season, and last year I stocked up at Sanzeri's because I was frequently fishing in the NW corner, but both places are an hour-plus drive for me. Just wondering if I'm missing any bait shops closer to the SE corner that sell good pike baits. I'm hoping to take a ride somewhere either Thursday or Friday after work, both to get bait and do some scouting. Thanks.  :tipup:

There is a bait shop in Plainfield, CT called B&J’s and not sure how far north you plan on fishing but there is Bobs bait and tackle in Balouville, Ct too

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2022, 05:54 AM »
Thanks hard floor, I didn't know that. I'm stopping at fish connection today so I'll talk to Jack or his old man about it. After my scouting yesterday, I won't need suckers til next weekend.
Also didn't know about the place in Plainfield. Sometimes I do fish north of there so good to know.  :thumbsup:

Offline Evand1209

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2022, 06:50 AM »
Yeaah the lady at the Plainfield bait shop isn’t always pleasant lmao just to warn you! But Bobs bait and tackle is good too he’s in the Dayville area!

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:56 AM »
 The lady at Bob's is quite funny at times and always hooks me up with plenty of extra bait.

Offline Jasonmadfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2022, 07:14 AM »
Zah's bait and tackle in Portland has Jumbo shiners and suckers as well as a few frozen dead baits as of yesterday
To fish or not to fish?...What a stupid question

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2022, 11:42 AM »
JT's in union has frozen goldens and  dace I was in there today

Offline pepperdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2022, 09:15 AM »
^JT's has live bait?     

ALways driven by during deer season - but never stopped in.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2022, 09:17 AM »
^JT's has live bait?     

ALways driven by during deer season - but never stopped in.

JT’s is a fantastic shop. They have live shiners small/medium/large and all sorts of other stuff. They are very knowledgeable in there as well.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:06 PM »
Great shop. Highly recomended. If jim doesn't have it he'll get it for you

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:15 PM »
Look up "native baits" on Facebook my boy Dave has all the big baits and will meet you somewhere. He currently has suckers from 4in to 10+.  Big Goldens and fallfish also
Go big or go home

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:21 PM »
Hi Ed, I talked to Dave today. He currently has suckers ONLY. No fall fish or pondys. Said the pondys “ fell off”. Also he had some family responsibilities last week which may have affected his yield.
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
“A spudbar is your best friend.”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.