Author Topic: First Safe???Ice...UPDATE  (Read 8833 times)

grumpymoe

First Safe???Ice...UPDATE
« on: Nov 11, 2004, 02:14 PM »
just had to check another lake out about 7 miles from the house....unlike the other one i checked this morning, i expected just what i saw....frozen for the winter season..... ;D ;D....beautiful clear ice about 2 1/2 inches and zinging and cracking like i have never heard before....music to my ears....i didnt venture too far from shore....left the spud at home...you can actually see the gravel bottom beneath my feet......guess what i will be doing this weekend???....enjoy...Grump                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
Re: First Safe???Ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2004, 02:22 PM »
Oh yeah man. It is that time. Grump now I have the fever. BW needs 4 inches of solid ice for his frame. Hopefully by the weekend. 8) 8) 8)
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2004, 02:24 PM »
You lucky dog Grump! Catch a few for us Southerners this weekend. Enjoy and be safe.
Ken                                          

Offline The Rocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Had To Reach Way Down Inside
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2004, 02:34 PM »
Your a lucky man Grump!!! Best wishes for a splended weekend

Rocket>

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2004, 03:46 PM »
thats awesome grump congratulations and enjoy yourself buddy!!!dont forget your ice picks and flotation device ...safety first !! ;D

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2004, 05:42 PM »
Go Grump more pictures when the weekend is done please. ;D

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2004, 06:35 PM »
I am truly jealous, be safe out there

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2004, 06:44 PM »
OK, that's it.  I need to move another 500 clicks north  :P
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2004, 10:24 AM »
2.5 inches of ice, why aren't you fishing????????????  You look like a skinny man, I am sure the ice will hold well enough.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

grumpymoe

« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2004, 10:51 AM »
TOMORROW!!!!!  ;D ;D.....Grump :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2004, 10:54 AM »
I'm going to go sit in my Fish Trap in my living room and stare at Grumps pics... :-\

Good luck GM! :woot:
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2004, 11:11 AM »
I have a two man FB come on over.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2004, 11:16 AM »
That's great Grump. We've been getting too warm of weather the past week now. The ice that was frozen over on the pond was wide open for the last few days, and just this morning is frozen over again. Calling for highs around 11 C this weekend.

Cheers,

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2004, 11:17 AM »
walked out on the ice this morning would go today but am quite sick so hopefully this weekend.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2004, 06:00 PM »
Pretty soon we will be fishing here too.  Just got back from deer camp on the canadian boarder and the smalls ponds are iced over up there!

Offline Fingerlakes Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • She thinks my shanty's sexy
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2004, 08:01 PM »
Where in the world are you?  Don't need specifics but I need to move.  Do I need to give up U.S. Citizenship to be there?  Unreal.  Wish I was you.  (Really though, where are you?)

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2004, 08:36 PM »
Let's just say that Grump lives next door to a Mr and Mrs S. Claus.  ;D In fact, I think he may be one of his workers ;)

-Zach

grumpymoe

« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2004, 08:45 PM »
thanks for all you help ZACH.......LOL......ju st click on the handle....if the member has location.....it will show....i am from manitoba....just 2 miles south of the southern most  border of Riding Mountain National Park......Manitoba's only....national park.....BTW....Big Walleye and i are going to check out some early season toothy northerns tomorrow afternoon........pics to come.....Grump

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2004, 09:04 PM »
FingerLakes Fisher - No, you don't have to give up U.S. citizenship to live in Canada or to become a Canadian citizen, but you do have to fill out a list of qualifications to enter as an immigrant, and then there's no guarantee you'll get immigrant status.  In the last U.S. election there were about 300,000 Canadian Americans eligible to vote, and both the Reps. and the Dems. had people up here signing up eligible voters.

I don't think there's any questions about ice fishing on the list of qualifications though, so that may not be a valid reason to move to Canada.  But you can come visit us anytime, and we'll treat you to some great fishing!
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline StrikeMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont be a GoatBoy!!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2004, 10:21 AM »
Grump you are a lucky man ;D...Just remember to be safe out there ;D
Those Mason-Dixon boys aint got nothin on the PA GOATBOYS!!!

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2004, 01:29 PM »
Riding Mountain National Park......Manitoba's only....national park.....

Hate to burst your bubble Moe, but you are forgetting Wapusk, although very few people ever get to see it....

::)
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2004, 05:01 PM »
Ah yes! It's great to be Canadian, EH! WE HAVE ICE!!!
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2004, 06:03 PM »
went out today for a bit , caught nothing lake is shallow and partial winterkills sometimes, used to be a decent lake and only 15min from home oh well got the dust off the gear anyway, hopeful hit the trout soon, there must have been a good 5 inches of ice.

grumpymoe

Re: First Safe???Ice...UPDATE
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2004, 07:00 PM »
MountainMama, Big Walleye and i head out in search of more ice....what a warm day!!!!....recheck Otter Lake...now about 3 1/2 to 4 inches of ice....Big Pelican walks the shoreline along with Grump...the ice holds....so we head down the road to Riding Mountain National Park.....temps in the mid 50's...yuk.....over to Clear Lake.....not even a hint of ice on shore!!!!...could be fishing lakers, northern and walleye from the boat in comfort...go figure.....up to Dauphin....out to the lake....pretty much as far as you can see...thin ice.....next weekend may be out....but the following for sure.......a couple beaver ponds frozen over as a throw in...enjoy....the first pic feels...looks...and reminds me of summer....Grump                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2004, 07:43 PM »
So you didn't crack out the gear on Otter Gmoe?  I'm disappointed...I used to think you were hard core  ;)

Too much stuff going on this weekend to get out to check things out around here...drove along the Assiniboine today and there was lots of ice floes though. 

Well, we'll see what the weather holds...probably be out in 2 weeks anyway, unless we get a bit of a cold snap and next weekend works out.

BTW, the Legend is getting the winterizing treatment this week...sigh.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

camo_fish

« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2004, 07:48 PM »
went out today for a bit , caught nothing lake is shallow and partial winterkills sometimes, used to be a decent lake and only 15min from home oh well got the dust off the gear anyway, hopeful hit the trout soon, there must have been a good 5 inches of ice.
(Image removed from quote.)
Man,  :'( I wish we had 5" of ice around here,  :P can't wait, but it will be a good month and a week before I see 5" of ice around here.
I see the ice, now time to see some awesome early ice fishies.  ;)
Keep'em comin, make me jones some more.  :D

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2004, 08:09 PM »
I went out today too near where i live got to the spot and it was ice covered so i hit it with the spud ha ha right through 2''.I should have prolly left right  :-\ well i didn't carefully slowly walked about 10 ft from shore chipped two holes and baited up and got my two lines down the holes and sat very still from 9:30 till noon by that time i had a puddle under me and it was warming up so i carefully made my way back to shore and went and casted into the open lake until 2 then i went back on to my first spot and fished again for a couple hours i did manage to catch a 7' pike ;D not a monster but my first fish through the ice this year i decided to leave after the ice started cracking when i set into the little pike. :o :o

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2004, 08:15 PM »
might check a different lake tommorow should be another decent freeze tonite was   
-1 at 5:30pm, by todays indication should have a few different lakes to choose from by the end of next week

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #28 on: Nov 13, 2004, 08:17 PM »
Hey Grump, looking at your 2nd picture.....do you guys only have one-way roads up there?

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2004, 08:26 PM »
nah thats a super highway here in sask!!!!! actually that can't be here in SK cause there are no massize sink holes or chunks of broken pavement!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.