Author Topic: Arsenal Additions!  (Read 1324 times)

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Arsenal Additions!
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:15 AM »
I missed last years ice, but if it ever comes I'll be back fully armed...I've added a hb ice helix sonar GPS combo to back up my 597...marcum 485 camera as well. Plus an Eskimo z51 auger, Eskimo evo 1 sled shelter, a few new rods including a 13 fishing tickle stick I can't wait to use...also picked up frabills heavy duty rod case to store all of them in. Got some new plastics to try out too....  Did anyone else get any new toys they wanna brag about or share their opinions and thoughts???
Y'all catchin?

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
Re: Arsenal Additions!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2016, 03:30 PM »
I picked up eagle claws new roach series panfish rod but had to send it back as the tip was broke when I received it.  Picked it up to fish some local waters around Frederick but idk if that's Gibbs happen.

Offline SolarBoy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:20 PM »
Only fished once last year but plan on taking few day vacation this winter and spend some time at DCL.
Equipped myself with set of tungsten jigs, palm rod, spring bobbers and also added one more rod - HT Blue ice 28in paired with inline spool.
Now, still debating on one more purchase, cannot decide what I need more - flipover or sonar/camera. I fished for years without both but decided to invest some money, What is your thought?

Offline vasea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2016, 12:29 PM »
If I had to choose definitely sonar/camera

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:51 AM »
X2 on sonar...I fished for a few years without one...now I catch fish....I also just saw the eagle claw micro panfish inline combo on cabelas for half price, so I got two...hope mine aren't broke too...seem like a nice rod?
Y'all catchin?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Has anyone used frabills titanium spring bobbers? I ordered 4 based on reviews, at 11 bucks a piece I hope they're worth it....
Y'all catchin?

Offline SolarBoy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2016, 05:45 PM »
If I had to choose definitely sonar/camera

Ok, do you guys have any experience with cameras? What's the benefit of sonar over the camera? I ve never fished with neither one but wouldn't camera be better since you can actually see a bite?

Offline Billy061

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Just some general pros/cons....  Sonar allows you to see whole water column including suspended fish, where a camera is specific to what is directly in front of it.  As far as hole hopping, the sonar is much faster because there is no long cord that you are dealing with when you want to move (plus it is cold and wet when handling the cord constantly.). The camera does allow you to see specific details of structure and specific species though.....  If I had to bet, I would take a guy who knows how to read a flasher over a guy with a camera any day!

Offline vasea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:57 AM »
For fishing definitely sonar for the reasons mentioned above, camera I think is good for two things: fun and thorough investigation of a known good spot, if you go on a new spot and start messing with camera, unless you are really lucky, you will most likely waste your day, I don't own camera and am not ready to pay the price yet, but I can't imagine fishing without sonar. Although if you come to the lake drill a random hole and stay on it all day, sipping bear and being happy, camera could suit you best.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.