Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 536776 times)

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #4290 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:17 PM »
6" good ice on hauser last night (1/13)  bite was slow

Offline Machias

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4291 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:31 PM »
Howdy,  anyone been to Bonner Lake, just east of Bonners Ferry?  If so, how's the ice looking?  Thanks!!

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4292 on: Jan 14, 2022, 07:57 PM »
Any word on mirror don't want to waste gas for an unsafe lake
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline smitty661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4293 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:44 PM »
I got a late start and tried the afternoon bite at bead on the WA side. It had 7” near the launch but open water past the power lines. I didn’t get to go check the other lakes. Any report on Gamlin from today?

Offline JimBob2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4294 on: Jan 14, 2022, 10:54 PM »
Any word on mirror don't want to waste gas for an unsafe lake
Raynebidz-Ice is good on Mirror-there was 4-5" with a water layer then 2-3 cloudy on top of it-slicker than heck.  Bite was slow-lots of looks but no bites in  2 hours for us.  the 1 guy that was catching kokes only had a few and had been out there for a while.  If you have any tips for kokes on mirror i'd appreciate it-we couldn't get them to bite.
  what kind of rigging are you using? I will post an image of what has been the standard rigging for 40 years on Spirit, Twin and Mirror.

The hook comparison is a #10 glow hook compared to the hook my partner and I like to use.

If you had 4-5" last week you should have the same this week maybe some of the cloudy ice would have been lessened but nights have been cold before and after the rain.

sihlms391

« Reply #4295 on: Jan 15, 2022, 03:59 AM »
Jim you are right.  With this fog lately I've is holding.   

Offline catfish2018

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4296 on: Jan 15, 2022, 03:39 PM »
Fished cocolalla this morning ice is looking good a little rotten on the top. Fishing was good for about an hour this morning and then it just died lots of people north end. Seen a couple guys on the south end maybe try that tomorrow

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4297 on: Jan 15, 2022, 04:11 PM »
Targeted trout today on cocolalla and did decent. Late morning bite for us, fished the drops with success in the shallower depths. Got to the parking lot at 630 and was able to beat the crowd out.  Temps look decent in the Sagle area as of now. Freezing at night and slightly above freezing in the day.  Should help us stay fishing with hopes of another good freeze soon.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4298 on: Jan 16, 2022, 11:56 AM »
Anybody have an ice condition report for Granite or Round?  Was thinking of hitting one of them tomorrow for trout.  Going to hit Blue this afternoon and we are bringing a kid for his first time on the ice. Hopefully he does well and we hook him for a future ice man!

Offline mattisbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4299 on: Jan 16, 2022, 12:10 PM »
Howdy,  anyone been to Bonner Lake, just east of Bonners Ferry?  If so, how's the ice looking?  Thanks!!

I fished bonner last night it's got 4-6 inches of foggy ice with 5 inches of slush on top

Offline smitty661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4300 on: Jan 16, 2022, 01:56 PM »
Are the burbot biting on Bonner?

Offline mattisbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4301 on: Jan 16, 2022, 06:04 PM »
I wasn't able to land any they seemed to just stare at the bait got a few to strike with a lot of violent jigging but wasn't able to hook up

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4302 on: Jan 16, 2022, 10:40 PM »
Slow day on Blue Lake this afternoon.  Almost 3 hours on the ice and only 7 fish between 3 of us.  Ice profile is 10 inches total with 3 inches of slush to moderately firm ice on top, then a a” slush layer, then 6” of firm ice.  A few spots you would punch through the top 3” and then other spots were pretty firm.

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4303 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:02 AM »
went by spirit at nautical loop-no one fishing-anyone know if it's bad bite or bad ice?
also curious if anyone has been on lower twin and if catching fish?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4304 on: Jan 17, 2022, 01:28 PM »
Had a friend on lower twin yesterday was getting some fish but no kokanee
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4305 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:10 PM »
on fernan this evening 5" with slow bite

Offline ribka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4306 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:49 AM »
Avondale has  signs now unsafe ice

Offline Machias

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4307 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:51 AM »

I fished bonner last night it's got 4-6 inches of foggy ice with 5 inches of slush on top

Thank you!!!

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4308 on: Jan 18, 2022, 11:35 AM »
Avondale has  signs now unsafe ice
did you miss the big triangle with cones around it  they did a ice rescue training there

Offline smitty661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4309 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:41 PM »
I saw the signs on Avondale yesterday, and the hole they had cut, and what looked like 18-24” of water around the edges. I stayed off too. The ice is probably ok once you get on it. But I decided to keep my feet dry.

Offline catfish2018

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4310 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:55 PM »
Anybody been on cocolalla this week?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4311 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:59 PM »
I fished Cocolalla on Sunday and Monday.  Pretty slow fishing.  Caught a few perch each day and a nice Brown trout on Sunday, but overall the bite was off.  Ice was a good solid 7".

Offline Idahoice77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4312 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:30 PM »
Thinking about going to bonner lake tomorrow for a burbot never fished for them or been up there more of a crappie guy any info would be awsome thank you  ;D ;D ;D ::)

Offline catfish2018

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4313 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:38 PM »
Thanks for info BlueDuck hopefully the bite will pick up gonna give it a try in the morning

Offline TwoBucketBruce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4314 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:56 PM »
Thinking about going to bonner lake tomorrow for a burbot never fished for them or been up there more of a crappie guy any info would be awsome thank you  ;D ;D ;D ::)

Maybe you've read this already but it's a pretty good article on burbot in the Kootnai R, Idaho.... https://bonnercountydailybee.com/news/2020/mar/10/burbot-fishing-ramps-up-on-kootenai/

Offline JimBob2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4315 on: Jan 19, 2022, 11:34 PM »
4 of us fished Mirror on Sunday, we limited out but took all day and the kokanee were small 7-9 with most on the smaller side.

Offline JimBob2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4316 on: Jan 19, 2022, 11:40 PM »
Anyone know where to consistently catch catfish? Anyone catch any through the ice on Jewel Lk?

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4317 on: Jan 20, 2022, 11:04 AM »
Anyone know where to consistently catch catfish? Anyone catch any through the ice on Jewel Lk?
Most lakes have catfish.  Hauser, Cocolahlah and Fernan to name a few.  The only way I have found to consistently catch catfish through the ice is to dangle a piece of perch meat with the skin ON, the off a small spoon then onto a treble stinger of about 3 inches off the spoons hook.  So hang at narrow 4 or 5 inch piece of meat.  Leave two of the treble hooks exposed.  Then hang the bait vertically off the spoons' hook to the stinger trebles.  Dangle it from a traps about a foot or two off the bottom.  The smaller catfish won't flag so check often, the bigger fish with trigger flag.  I have caught two of about 12 to 14 inchs at once trying to chew the perch slab off the stinger or spoon hooks.   I have also caught bigger catfish jigging a spoon with a nightcrawler, holding still, no jigging, often.  All this near weeds on shallow flats in about 5 to 15 feet of water.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4318 on: Jan 20, 2022, 11:10 AM »
Could someone please tell me if they have fished the chain lakes or Rose Lake and how much ice was there? 

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4319 on: Jan 20, 2022, 11:26 AM »
Could someone please tell me if they have fished the chain lakes or Rose Lake and how much ice was there?

My neighbor fished Cave Lake on Monday, he said there was 6" of ice. He drove to Rose Lake as well and said someone was fishing on Rose, unsure on ice depth. It rained pretty good around the chains on Tuesday and its currently pissing rain now and has been since last night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.