Author Topic: 11 mile  (Read 4523 times)

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
11 mile
« on: Dec 24, 2006, 09:27 PM »
Been hitting 11 mile for 3 weeks now.. Fishing strated out very hot for trout and pike. has slowed a little for most people, cause the crowds are ganging up on the better areas. The key now is to find locations with little or no pressure... Some of the better areas are places you wouldnt think of going.. You may have to walk a bit, but its worth it. :)

Pike fishing has been good to very good for smaller fish, but the big uns are on the prowl, have been seeing many in the upper 30 to lower 40 inch range cruising. Had a 40 plus on last week, she hit a 17 to 19 " bow i had on... Needless to say i came back with just line as i watched her swim off with bow and jig.... :-[Just 1 of the many exciting things that makes us love this sport. Most pike and trout action have been in 12 to 15 ft of water. Jigs and colors very daily, but Pink and orange have been the most consisten for me, but dont overlook greens and whites also..Tipped with mealworm or waxie.
Typical pike techniques and baits have been working well, Dead suckers and waterdogs on tip ups and the new jig ups, as well as big spoons and tubes tipped with sucker meat.

Kokanee are hit and miss, last Saturday was great..This weekend was very tough, allthough i think the hi pressure had something to do with that.

In the channel out of witchers  has been 1 area as well as out of the main boat ramp. Typicall baits, swedish pimples and kastmaster tipped with mealworm have been the best. If the Schools come in Color dont seem to matter, but if its just singles or small groups, it seems like orange and white swedish and clown/candy kastmasters are the bait of choice. Koaknee fishing should get better very soon.  You must have a good portable fish finder to locate the depths of the fish, on average there about 30 to 35 ft deep over 90 ft of water, but weve had them as deep as 60 and as shallow as 10 so u need a good flasher like a vexilar. Jigging machines have been important with cowbells for attractors, but its not an essential thing, it just helps in keeping the scholls around longer..

There is about 5 inches of snow on the ice making it difficult to pull out with sleds, but it will get you in shape LOL. ice is about 8 to 12 inches, but be carefull of some soft spots, anglers were walking out of witchers and crossing an area that was open 5 days ago, but with the snow you wouldnt know, No one has fallen through yet that i know of, but that area is very dangerous, so if you go out stay close to deer island untill you get about halfway out.

Good luck and be safe

Happy Hollidyas
Jim Douglas

A few pics form the last few trips.

Offline CaptHook

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 11 mile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:34 AM »
Very cool.  Nice looking fish.  I have only been able to make it out there once this year and that was last Wed during the snow storm.  Got stuck in the springs but managed to land one decent bow before that.  Do you ever fish Howbert Point?  I saw some monsters swim up to check out my bait but they were not interested.  That seems like a pretty decent area for pike though.  I am going to try and make it back out there next week if possible.  Thanks for all the info, bait, location and all.  I am definately going to have to pick up some suckers next time I head out there.  Forgot them last time. 

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2006, 12:19 PM »
Very cool.  Nice looking fish.  I have only been able to make it out there once this year and that was last Wed during the snow storm.  Got stuck in the springs but managed to land one decent bow before that.  Do you ever fish Howbert Point?  I saw some monsters swim up to check out my bait but they were not interested.  That seems like a pretty decent area for pike though.  I am going to try and make it back out there next week if possible.  Thanks for all the info, bait, location and all.  I am definately going to have to pick up some suckers next time I head out there.  Forgot them last time. 

Yes, Howbarts has been 1 of the good pike areas. I have fished it, but its starting to get alot of pressure, but theres still plenty of them there. If i was going to fish Howbarts again i would walk out on the flat towards the Island, and fish the old Railroad bed, especially the old bridge, its hard to find but i have it on gps from the summer.  There are lots of pike showing up all over, so if howbarts is crowded like it has been check The area between Howbarts and Rogers Mtn, the bay on the west side of Goose Island. Also check Stoll mtn, and even witchers.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2006, 01:00 PM »
Hey Basscat you down at Ft. Carson?

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2006, 02:21 PM »
Hey Basscat you down at Ft. Carson?

No Im in the springs, did some work down there years ago.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2006, 09:29 AM »
Good stuff, Bcat-  Love the "ice of death" pic.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2006, 12:14 PM »
I live in Indiana now,but in 1968 my Dad moved us out there to Security,then we moved to Widefield,then we had a House built in Cimarron Hills,after all this in 1977 we moved back here,and I graduated from here,but after graduating from High school,I joined the Army and got stationed out there for 4 years,and thru them years Ive fished 11 mile several times,I got a cousin in Divide that tears the fish up on 11 mile,i was out there in 2002 for a Ice trip and we got em pretty good on first Ice,we were at Witcher's Cove then,Ive also Ice fished Cross Creek on some thin Ice,we have no Ice here,Im still fishing outta my boat back here,hope you're Holidays were fantastic,
                                                                                                                                                          Jimmy

Offline Iron Chef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2006, 04:40 PM »
Nice report, thanks for pictures, are you out after dark?
Thanks for the Rapalas

Offline metalhed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2006, 06:09 PM »
nice fish
every time I go to 11 mile I get skunked
last time I followed the pack and fished sucker cove, I mean sucker Town, there were people everywhere
If I hit it again I will venture farther away from people and see if my luck will change

Gonna try Tarryall again this weekend

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2006, 07:48 PM »
Nice report, thanks for pictures, are you out after dark?
No fished right up till dark, alot of times, that last 30 minutes can be awesome. that trip i caught 1 as we were breaking down, it was a rat and went back but you never know, some of my biggest trout out of there have come in the last few minutes befor dark.

Offline SUCKERMEAT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ANYWHERE!!!! ANYTIME!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2006, 07:33 PM »
By the looks of the fish you catch it seems you have this lake dialed in. It is a tough place to fish for myself open water or hard, would love to pick your brain sometime.

Offline NewToTheIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2007, 05:54 PM »
WOW thanks for all the info. I am going to be out there this weekend. Hopefully I can get into some of those trout and pike.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2007, 12:14 PM »

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:03 PM »

Caught 011007

Thanks Basscat!

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2007, 04:43 AM »
Go to http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/ElevenMile for current weather temp and wind speed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.