The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: March Trip North to Moosehead  (Read 592 times)

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
March Trip North to Moosehead
« on: Feb 16, 2024, 06:42 AM »
I have planned a trip North with a close friend heading up to Moosehead to ice fish the Big Lake from 3/11/24 to 3/14/24.  Have reserved a nice camp on Moose River through private party with direct access out the back yard to ITS 66 and have a snow machine and jet sled rental reserved through Moosehead Sled.  Have heard multiple reports of many hazardous areas on the Lake at this point in time.  Our plan is to access the Lake near the "Birch's Resort" and fish points North from there.  Not looking for any honey hole tips or tricks just wondering what your experience has been using snow machines on the Lake this year so far if you have been up there recently, especially points North of Rockwood.  I don't own a snow machine but definately will need one for this trip, so I rented one as Moosehead Sled offers what I consider a pretty good ice fishing special rental rate of $100.00/day for a two up 2023 Ski Doo Grand Touring Sled.  Well worth it to me, can't justify spending $20,000.00 for new sled and enclosed trailer when I wouldn't use it more than hand full of times per year and haven't found the right used sled deal that I would trust.  May end up going the ATV/wheeler route with snow trax but not ready to do that yet so for now we will rent a machine.

Thank you for any advise you may have to offer through personal experience.

EmeraldShiner

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: March Trip North to Moosehead
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2024, 07:26 AM »
I'm looking out the window at the lake. The usual suspects are open water, from the Birches stay away from hardscrabble point as always. Some people went in there Wednesday. No word on what happened, no news is good news I guess. There is less ice than most years so everyone needs to be more cautious than usual, there's sure to be a bad spot that's ok in a good year.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2024, 08:31 AM »
I'm looking out the window at the lake. The usual suspects are open water, from the Birches stay away from hardscrabble point as always. Some people went in there Wednesday. No word on what happened, no news is good news I guess. There is less ice than most years so everyone needs to be more cautious than usual, there's sure to be a bad spot that's ok in a good year.

Thank you Eiderz,
Think I saw that comment about Hardscrabble point in another post, that and to stay away from points on islands.  Hopefully we will get several more cold air blasts that last and ice conditions on Moosehead will improve enough for the Lake to get flagged for crossing!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2024, 01:08 PM »
Just returned from a ride up the west shore as far as the east side of Kineo, then back to town between Deer and Sugar. 31 miles round trip, I saw nothing unusual. Pressure ridges in usual spots, crossable on sleds or wheels. Open water between Sandbar and shore, and in Frog Pond. There are undoubtedly other bad spots, everybody needs to check for themselves.

Right now I would bring an ATV, very little snow on the lake. There are people fishing all the usual places in the Rockwood area. I did not tempt the gods with a ride around Hardscrabble Point. Since the snow slushed down, the lake has been making ice so maybe the season length will be normal.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.