The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Saponac Pond  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
Saponac Pond
« on: Jan 09, 2024, 02:32 PM »
Hey there, I was invited to bring my family to a friend’s house on Saponac Pond in Burlington in Mid-February. Aside from the pond map I found online, and an antiquated fish survey report, I know nothing about the pond. I’m looking for any info you may be willing to share. We only practice catch and release and I’d love to keep my 2 year old interested

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Saponac Pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2024, 05:29 AM »
Saponac should be a perfect spot for kids.  There actually  used to be a small contingency of locals that fished it off the white perch but I haven't been up that way in a decade plus.  Easy access if the kiddos get cold, I think you will have fun.

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2024, 08:14 AM »
Saponac should be a perfect spot for kids.  There actually  used to be a small contingency of locals that fished it off the white perch but I haven't been up that way in a decade plus.  Easy access if the kiddos get cold, I think you will have fun.
Thanks, the house is on the Western Shore but looks like we will have to go out a ways to get out of the weeds.

Offline fishnfetch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2024, 07:37 AM »
Are you renting and AirBnB there? We rented one there last March. Nice camp, nice pond, good snowmobile trail access. We fished it hard for 3 days, used our fish finder and moved around a lot trying to find the white perch that we had heard about. Not one perch for us. You will get plenty of flags which is good for keeping the little ones busy. Unfortunately, it's mostly small pickerel. We did manage a few smallies, only one decent one though. Overall it was a nice trip but we are going to go somewhere else (Cambolasse Pond) this winter to try to find better fishing. Good luck, enjoy your trip, and let me know if you have any other questions. Andy

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2024, 09:54 AM »
Are you renting and AirBnB there? We rented one there last March. Nice camp, nice pond, good snowmobile trail access. We fished it hard for 3 days, used our fish finder and moved around a lot trying to find the white perch that we had heard about. Not one perch for us. You will get plenty of flags which is good for keeping the little ones busy. Unfortunately, it's mostly small pickerel. We did manage a few smallies, only one decent one though. Overall it was a nice trip but we are going to go somewhere else (Cambolasse Pond) this winter to try to find better fishing. Good luck, enjoy your trip, and let me know if you have any other questions. Andy
Not an air BNB, they own a house on the Western shore off Sibley Rd. Definitely interested in hitting the area off of Black Island. Any bait shops close by? I was told Friends in West Enfield.

Offline fishnfetch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2024, 10:09 AM »

Here is the spots we fished in 2.5 days up there in order. First day was spots 1-3. It was all pickerel except for one smallmouth at spot 2 mid morning. Second day was spots 4-6. Spot 4 had a couple small smallmouth and more pickerel. Spot 5 was strictly pickerel. Spot 6 was the morning of the third day. A few pickerel there and one very respectable smallmouth. We fished there until 9:30am, packed our gear and headed home. All in all it was an ok trip but the fishing was not very good.

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2024, 04:59 AM »

Here is the spots we fished in 2.5 days up there in order. First day was spots 1-3. It was all pickerel except for one smallmouth at spot 2 mid morning. Second day was spots 4-6. Spot 4 had a couple small smallmouth and more pickerel. Spot 5 was strictly pickerel. Spot 6 was the morning of the third day. A few pickerel there and one very respectable smallmouth. We fished there until 9:30am, packed our gear and headed home. All in all it was an ok trip but the fishing was not very good.

I appreciate all the info.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2024, 06:30 AM »
Madagascal in Burlington another option if saponac doesn't pan out to your liking and you have a little gear.  The cove behind Porter Point camps on Nicatous full of pikerel as well if you are just looking for action.

Offline fishnfetch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2024, 07:07 AM »
We bought bait at Friends. Good bait selection and 24/7 self service

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2024, 04:53 PM »

The trip was a success in my eyes. Saturday we fished in the area you have marked as 5 and Sunday we went between area 5 and 1. All of the fish caught were Pickerel, the biggest came towards the end of Sunday.

Offline fishnfetch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2024, 10:41 AM »
Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves. Surprised nobody picked off a smallie or two. Thanks for coming back and updating us

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.