Author Topic: Frabill bait bucket leaking  (Read 2997 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Frabill bait bucket leaking
« on: Aug 29, 2023, 05:51 AM »
My insulated baitbucket’s foam insert leaks through the foam itself.  It has no holes, it’s just porous.  Has anyone tried sealing it with something like flex seal?   Has it affected the bait at all? 

The water seeps through the foam, and the foam floats up inside the plastic 7 gallon bucket leaving the bait high and dry.

Ideas??

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Frabill bait bucket leaking
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2023, 09:32 AM »
I have several Plano buckets with foam inserts ...one tends to get water logged ...I flip them over and let them drain out  in the sun for a day or two. But I think if you made a solution of food coloring and water you may find the leaking area..I have used  clear Gorilla tape with success. But the flex tape may do you justice as well.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2023, 06:56 PM »
 I do not know if this will work but possibly better for the bait fish then any Flex -seal product. If you can find Food -grade silicone coat the outside of foam insert with that to stop the leak.

Cleaver idea suggested by Hardwater diehard of using water/food coloring mix to find the spot where water is leaking through the insert. Have you looked at any local bait shops to see if by chance they sell foam bait buckets which might fit into the outer bucket you currently own.

May you find a solution for this problem. Enjoy what is left of this open water fishing season.

Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Nameless

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2023, 07:09 AM »
I had the same problem, ended up just using silicone to glue the foam down to the bucket, can’t float up after that.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2023, 09:17 AM »
Do know that any solution applied to the outside of the liner will eventually loosen. Water pressure from the inside working out will always find an edge to get into. After it gets wet underneath failure is only a matter of time. Solutions from the inside are few. You don't want to put anything that may be toxic to you bait in there.

There is no end of problems with those (or other) foam liners. Way back I came across a hard plastic storage tub (like Tupperware only cheaper) that fit exactly, more or less, inside that foam liner. Problem solved.

Might have to look around a bit, take some measurements and either memorize them or write 'em down. Food service sized containers are a good place to start.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2023, 11:29 AM »
When its really cold out, Im probably just going to use an insulated water cooler.  I dont use minnows much anymore, and just jig mostly.  Unless Im introducing someone new or have kids with me for tipups, my wife and I just jig and chase the perch around. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.