Author Topic: Is it me or do others feel the same  (Read 2668 times)

Offline markum

• IceShanty Rookie
Is it me or do others feel the same
« on: Jan 02, 2023, 12:33 PM »
Hi not much of a poster here you can call me a troll if you  must but I don't cause problems or ask for  "hot spots" .This weather is a complete bumber I get excited in the end of November getting all my gear ready to get out we usually get that snap mid December to make that good ice and then come  New Years day it's a extended warmup and then by end of January into February we may get the weather to make good safe ice but usually with a $h[t ton of snow by that time I have lost interest and just wait for  spring  maybe I'm getting older but does anyone else feel like that?

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is it me or do others feel the same
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2023, 02:33 PM »
I'm actually to the point where I very well may move north when my daughters have finished school and moved on. I know it sounds odd to move due to a hobby but I'm absolutely addicted to ice fishing and living in indiana, that's become a problem. 
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2023, 07:04 PM »
Yes I do.  I had things basically ready to go at Thanksgiving.  That gives me the chance to get out quick when the time comes.  Over Christmas the chance came and I got out 5 times.  Here's hoping we get some more Ice, so I can get out a few more times.  If not I'll be taking a weekend and traveling North into Michigan.  Don't give up on things not every year here is the same.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2023, 07:31 PM »
I've got my gear at the ready at any given time. At this point I'm ready for warm temps and rain to start this season all over again. If not, my boat is ready to kick off the soft water season hunting muskies and coho. Either way, I got my ice fix. Wasn't what I wanted but it's nice to be able to have options.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2023, 05:20 AM »
It's always frustrating, but I've kind of gotten used to the winter yo-yo down here as far as ice is concerned. I just keep my gear ready all winter and try to get out every day we do have ice to get as much time in as possible, since you never know when it'll melt off or if it will freeze again 🤷‍♂️

Offline Oaktree1215

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Look at them cheeks!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2023, 07:33 AM »
Same, Indiana has become like an exgirlfriend, gets hot and cold a lot ;D

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2023, 09:21 AM »
Ha, ha! Good one!
Since I am old I can share my opinion. I have seen this cycle three - four times. As a retired school teacher I use to walk around school when I was teaching prior to Christmas with a sign pinned on my shirt that read, "Think Ice!"
Teachers hated me!!  There were 3-4  periods weather wise like we have now. They lasted several years each. I recall several winters when I never fished. Then there were years when we fished over Thanksgiving weekend and had good ice into March! Global warming? Whatever!!! I believe if you live long enough you will see that cycle play out!? Life is what you make it!!! ::)
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2023, 10:52 AM »
Last year we didn't get on until 2nd week of January but we had super good ice for six weeks or more. I think that is more of the normal winter for Indiana. I recall seeing pickups on the ice last year. It seems unusual to get on ice before the new year so I think we were lucky this year. Lets hope we get another Artic blast soon!! You can always drive 3 hours north of the Mi. line and find good ice.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2023, 10:58 AM »
Last year I was on from January 4th (pretty thin though) until February 13. I hope we get something even close but it doesn't look good
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Slabhunter136

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2023, 11:00 AM »
Agree!!! Was just thinking how far into Michigan I have to drive to get some good ice! Will be checking the Michigan thread after work too.  ;D

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2023, 11:03 AM »
My first day last season was Jan 6th, and my last day was Feb 27th, but there was a stretch mid January where the ice was rotten for a week or so.

I didn't expect this early ice to be permanent for the season, but I was a bit surprised just how fast it melted off.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2023, 11:30 AM »
If I were heading to Michigan I’d definitely call ahead for ice conditions. They got a lot of snow on the west side with that last storm and that really messes up ice formation. Hex

Offline Slabhunter136

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2023, 04:11 PM »
Will do that, thank you Hex!

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2023, 04:41 PM »
If you Hoosiers wanna fish da mitten bring your gas $$. I live in Detroit & been driving 2 1/2 hrs north ( twice since Friday) to find safe ice. Anything south of Gladwin won't be fishable for at least 10 days w/ some ma nature help.

Offline Foxinfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2023, 09:35 PM »
Every winter is different. The best one I can Remember in recent memory was 13-14. That year we got on ice in early December and my last day on the ice was March 29th. Pretty good for Indiana.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2023, 10:58 PM »
I know the feeling, when it starts to get too cold to sit for 5 hours in the tree stand i get the desire to sit in a shanty, this year doesnt look like ill be doing much of that unless i travel a few jours north, and i live in mid Michigan
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2023, 05:00 AM »
Every winter is different. The best one I can Remember in recent memory was 13-14. That year we got on ice in early December and my last day on the ice was March 29th. Pretty good for Indiana.

That was a dang cold winter... year of missed opportunities for me. My  son was born that winter, and my wife had a bunch of complications both before and with recovery, so I only was able to get out a couple times. :'(

It was in the -20s the day we brought him home from the hospital, and that was in mid February.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2023, 02:27 PM »
Sadly many of you don't have safe ice yet, Sorry. I know that sucks.  Was a Slush Monster up at Cascade last weekend so didn't go but got cold and set up so gonna go slay the Jumbo Perch this weekend. Hopefully you all can find some safe ice and get yer lines wet.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.