Author Topic: Need to watch that early ice...  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Need to watch that early ice...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2022, 03:42 PM »
almost every year lol

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:56 PM »
almost every year lol

Maybe we could start floe races...... ::)

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2022, 06:11 PM »
almost every year lol

Red is such a goofy lake. It freezes like no other. When every other lake in the state finally has safe walking ice, they are driving trucks on Red. It's even stranger when you consider that most people aren't going way out into the abyss like they do on Mille Lacs either, most fishing on Red is within a mile of shore. Despite that, as you say, this happens every year. You would think people would learn.
-Tom

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2022, 06:22 PM »
Yup, every year there's always that one in the crowd......... ;D

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2022, 06:33 PM »
Almost enough ice out there for atvs but when the wind wants to do damage it will.

Thankfully it sounds like everyone was able to walk off the ice using a bridge JR'S resort put over a narrow section of open water.   First responders were there incase something happened but no one had to be rescued Thankfully.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2022, 08:11 AM »
Red is such a goofy lake. It freezes like no other. When every other lake in the state finally has safe walking ice, they are driving trucks on Red. It's even stranger when you consider that most people aren't going way out into the abyss like they do on Mille Lacs either, most fishing on Red is within a mile of shore. Despite that, as you say, this happens every year. You would think people would learn.

It freezes fast because it is extremely shallow for its size. Pretty hard to find double digit depth in lower Red. I've never fished upper, but lower is mostly 3-6' deep.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2022, 10:01 AM »

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2022, 12:23 PM »
It freezes fast because it is extremely shallow for its size. Pretty hard to find double digit depth in lower Red. I've never fished upper, but lower is mostly 3-6' deep.

Are you sure about that? I've never heard of a non-tribe member being allowed to fish lower red lake. Lower red lake also gets much deeper than upper red lake. How the structure looks, I can' tell you. I'm not aware of any depth map of the lake. I would certainly like to hear more if you really have fished lower red lake.

Upper red lake is not even a bowl. It's like a frying pan, at least the eastern half is. It has a slight drop off fairly close to shore, then its basically flat 10'-12' deep for a LONG ways. There are some little humps out there, but not much. There are some cribs, and other junk people have dumped over the years too. I'm sure the shallow nature is one of the big reasons it freezes fast, but still it's amazing to me that such a large body of water freezes that much faster than anything else.
-Tom

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2022, 12:35 PM »
Are you sure about that? I've never heard of a non-tribe member being allowed to fish lower red lake. Lower red lake also gets much deeper than upper red lake. How the structure looks, I can' tell you. I'm not aware of any depth map of the lake. I would certainly like to hear more if you really have fished lower red lake.

Upper red lake is not even a bowl. It's like a frying pan, at least the eastern half is. It has a slight drop off fairly close to shore, then its basically flat 10'-12' deep for a LONG ways. There are some little humps out there, but not much. There are some cribs, and other junk people have dumped over the years too. I'm sure the shallow nature is one of the big reasons it freezes fast, but still it's amazing to me that such a large body of water freezes that much faster than anything else.

You can fish Lower Red, you just have to arrange a tribal guide to guide you.  Daris Rosebear is a guide on that area. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2022, 12:36 PM »

Perhaps Upper. I was thinking Lower, but I could be wrong. It was a long time ago back in the 90s.

I recall it being very, very shallow and very flat way the heck out. Had to pay to get on the lake iirc.

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2022, 01:16 PM »
  I know its early ice,      LATE  ice is just as bad also     

snowsnake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2022, 01:21 PM »
You can fish Lower Red, you just have to arrange a tribal guide to guide you.  Daris Rosebear is a guide on that area.

For the small lakes on the reservation, yes. I'm not seeing where he would take you out on lower red lake.
-Tom

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2022, 05:37 PM »
For the small lakes on the reservation, yes. I'm not seeing where he would take you out on lower red lake.

With a guide you cannot fish the main lake body, though I believe you can fish the narrows with one, the water between the lakes.

Offline nICE!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2022, 11:13 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.