New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: pike/bass fishing in the Adirondacs  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
pike/bass fishing in the Adirondacs
« on: Nov 26, 2022, 10:02 AM »
Hey guys and gals, every year Myself, and my brothers have gone up to Simon pond to fish for bass and pike. We have been there for the last 8 years but the fishing has really slowed down. Anybody have any other good fishing lakes near Tupper lake that we could try 1 or 2 days while we are up there. We fish mostly with tip-ups for any type of fish. T.I.A. Mike
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: pike/bass fishing in the Adirondacs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2022, 11:25 AM »
You may not consider it close enough to Tupper lake, but you might want to consider Lake Champlain, looks like about 60 miles east. Champlain is where I fish almost exclusively, and given its enormous size, if you fish other than isolated bays then the fishing is likely inexhaustible. Due east of Tupper you can get on Bulwagga bay which is one of the most popular places to fish. There could be any one of a dozen species of fish on your line any time a tipup goes off.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2022, 11:34 AM »
Assuming PapaSly that you are even considering this, Mapquest has Tupper Lake to Port Henry at 72 miles. I have never attempted to get overnight lodging in Port Henry so I don't know what is available, but Ticonderoga has the Super 8 for around $ 80 / night that I frequent. I am not familiar with any water closer to Tupper lake other than Schroon or Lake George, I don't fish there much but Lake George is way more popular than Schroon and has the best lake trout fishing of any place in the Adirondacks, and some lunker pike but you need to put your time in.

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2022, 03:09 PM »
Cranberry Lake had some big toothy critters, that’s west of Tupper.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2022, 03:41 PM »
Cranberry Lake had some big toothy critters, that’s west of Tupper.

Yes, Cranberry is known for giving up multiple 20+ pound pike through the ice every season, but I have not personally fished it yet

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2022, 04:49 PM »
I fished a small pond adjacent to Loon lake a few years ago, place was stacked with Largemouth bass. Real dark strain. My son and I caught a bunch. Not sure about live bait in that region, we were jigging small spoons and jigging raps.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2022, 10:34 AM »
Thanks guys, was just looking for some options close to Red Top Inn in Tupper NY.

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2022, 07:08 PM »
I've done pretty good on Little Wolf Pond  for small Pike, Walleye, and decent Perch. I've also done good on small Tigers and Walleye on Horseshoe. If Simon or Raquette aren't producing they might be good alternatives to mix it up a bit.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2022, 04:50 AM »
Sly you better check the regulations there are some counties it’s illegal to target bass in the off season.  No catch and release.  I know Raquette lake is…
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2022, 05:16 AM »
Raquettedacker is correct and they do write tickets...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2022, 08:19 AM »
Sly you better check the regulations there are some counties it’s illegal to target bass in the off season.  No catch and release.  I know Raquette lake is…
Thanks bro, that really confuses me. We dont keep anything we catch however usung a sucker or shiner for pike always catches bass, as a matter of fact anything that pike hit the bass will hit also so I am unsure how they can issue a ticket...we are fishing for pike.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2022, 09:25 AM »
No pike in Raquette anyway..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2022, 11:26 AM »
Papa, my friend who got the ticket for targeting bass fought it in court and had it reduced to a $27.50 fine. The DEC had watched him from a distance and said he was bass fishing. I think a lot depends on the officer on any given day...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2022, 02:21 PM »
No pike in Raquette anyway..

Referring to Raquette Pond...across the way from Simon.

Offline finsntins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2022, 06:20 AM »
posting a headline on an ice fishing website that you are looking to chase bass through the ice will not help you in court if you do get a ticket!!!!!do your research on the laws and regs. for each body of water you are going to fish,especially here in the adirondacks,as some bodies of water have special regs.on top of the nys regs.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2022, 06:33 AM »
Ummmm...good point..! :D
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2022, 12:19 PM »
The finger lakes region has a bunch of water where it is legal to take bass.  Personally, I wouldn't walk across the street for a bass but that's just me

Offline ECobb91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2022, 01:59 PM »
It’s mostly any body of water that’s in a  county entirely within the ADK blue line (Hamilton, Essex, etc), Lake Ontario basin above Sandy Pond, and St Lawrence river is off limits to target bass outside of the open season. I know some guys who go up to Durant end of may and target pike, but end up catching more bass than anything else. They’ve been stopped by the DEC a few times and let off with a warning. On the St Lawrence, if you catch a bass outside of the open season, you’ll have to make an effort to leave the area (start the motor and move spots).

I imagine when it comes to ice fishing, obviously using tip ups you don’t control it. But if you’re jigging and keep catching bass out of the same hole, the ECON can say you’re targeting.

Also holding fish caught out of season for pictures (with no C&R season) can also result in tickets too. I know a guy around here who got a few tickets for posting bass he caught out of an ADK pond ice fishing because the DEC saw it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.