Author Topic: valpo lakes  (Read 2446 times)

Offline fishersofmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jesus Christ is lord
valpo lakes
« on: Feb 25, 2022, 10:02 AM »
went to long,flint, specktacle, and loomis....ice is safe as i know somebody who fished there yesterday....got a few nice gills and bunch of dinks but ice was 12" thick so it was safe...he fished up to 30fow so ice is safe...when i visited the valpo lakes there was not one person fishing which is not a good sign...steve
Jesus said to be fishersofmen

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: valpo lakes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2022, 10:55 AM »
So.....you're sayin it's safe?
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2022, 03:30 PM »
You know, there is no such thing as safe ice. lol

Offline fishersofmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jesus Christ is lord
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2022, 05:27 PM »
depends on y0ur philosophy of life......i decided long ago not to tiptoe thru life only to arrive safely at death......so each has his own standard of safety but when a buddy goes out to 430 foot of water and the ice is still 12" thick, i guess somebody can still be worried they may not come home but that just how ive lived my life

Offline fishersofmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jesus Christ is lord
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2022, 05:28 PM »
oops....30 foot of water....my typing sucks

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2022, 07:51 PM »
depends on y0ur philosophy of life......i decided long ago not to tiptoe thru life only to arrive safely at death......so each has his own standard of safety but when a buddy goes out to 430 foot of water and the ice is still 12" thick, i guess somebody can still be worried they may not come home but that just how ive lived my life
I'm really happy you found your path through life but this post is exactly why people say no ice is safe. Your original post said you went to 4 lakes but then you knew someone who was out yesterday. I was on a valpo lake today and never found 12" of ice. One week ago I went through up to my knees on this same lake. Main lake was great but shore can change quickly this time of year. Wasn't a big issue getting the boots wet but could still mess up a knee or back.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2022, 05:10 AM »
let's not forget the gravel pit thread that led to a couple deaths, if i remember correctly.  safe ice is the ice you just walked off of safely. lol  all other ice is suspect. 

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2022, 01:34 PM »
Well said R.S.  Things are going to start getting really sketchy on some of the shallow lakes, and the shallow parts of all lakes.  Take a throw rope, picks, spud, and a Whistle.  You can only yell so long if you go through.

Offline Jeffro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2022, 05:15 PM »
Everyone has their own standard. I tend to be more on the cautious side. I went through once going after a guy that ventured around the thicker ice. All I know is winter swimming sucks!
Be safe. I've yet to catch the bluegill or crappie worth swimming after. Ok maybe the crappie but...... lol
God Bless the USA and all those who serve in her Armed Forces...

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:35 AM »
For sure!!! I fell in fishing by myself in 1983 in 14' of water! I was in for 1 1/2 hrs and lived to tell about it!! With the grace of God and a 17 year old hero that worked a 12 foot pram out to where I was and pulled me aboard! You don't want to do that!!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:04 PM »
Today you went thru or in the past?
Tom

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2022, 08:56 AM »
That was back in 1983 or "84!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2022, 09:49 PM »
It was 85 Teach.  My first year in the Region.  Because we share the same name all my co-workers thought it was me.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2022, 08:23 AM »
Ha!  Time flies when you're having fun! 37 years ago! Wow, seems like yesterday!
Teach
Teacher Preacher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.