Author Topic: Was I in the wrong?  (Read 4466 times)

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Was I in the wrong?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:00 PM »
You were not in the wrong.  Here is the thing though.  What i've learned the numerous times this has happened to me over the years.  most of these people have 0 idea what they are doing.  I mean almost all of them.

to the point where I do not even care anymore.  its almost funny.  I don't care that they have all the right gear, I will outfish them most likely 3 feet from them.   and i'm not even that good!

It just gives me a story to tell.  and sometimes the people are like what on earth are you doing and I get a chance to show them how I fish. 

Ice fishing can get pretty packed now a days.  I think more ice fisherman is great.   Manufacturers innovate and give us better products.   But just remember they are likely not great at ice fishing. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:13 PM »
I'm amazed that guys risk their lives over a fish.

The smart way to handle that situation would have been to defuse, not esculate.  You could have swallowed your injured pride and drilled one more hole away from the idiot's hole.  Problem solved.

Instead you're still worked up about it.  Your poor decision to esculate is letting that jamoke live rent free in your head.  And he's stealing from you your must precious resource, Grandpa, TIME.  You could be with your grandson sharing and teaching.  But instead, here you are, all worked up, angry and righteous.

My old Grandma used to say, between drags on her Chesterfield and shots of Old Overholt, "Two wrongs don't make a right."

People are nuts these days.  You are arguing with a stranger... over fish.

What would you have done if the crazy ***** pulled a gun on you ? 

I'll bet you love your grandson.  Next time do the right things to make sure you're around for him as lonng as possible.  It'd be a shame if he lost you over a fish...

I'm sorry....but this does zero to help anyone. All this does is allow these type of people to become more embolden and do more stupid crap. If someone is acting like the guy did, he needs to get called out. Now, I would agree that getting into a physical altercation would be way overboard. However, a shouting match and letting a guy know he is a prick.....totally justified. Maybe he won't be a jerk next time,or his buddy will tell him what an Idiot he was. By giving into these actions it is a sign of acceptance and the actions become acceptable.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:22 PM »
No!! in no way shape or form. It's getting totally stupid out there now. It's to bad that a peaceful thing has turned into a "it's all about what I want" thing. Welcome to the NEW WORLD. Disgusting.

Just be safe out there.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:02 PM »
There are way too many Karens on the ice ;)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:23 PM »
There are way too many self proclaimed "expert anglers" who seem to have no idea what etiquette is.
That doesn't even include the learning experience the child/son should be learning from a moment like this.

As for diffusing the situation, you shouldn't have to explain your actions beyond what he said.

You were not wrong. Sure you could have offered the olive branch, but that would only reaffirm his belief that his actions are acceptable.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:03 PM »
Nope you are not in the wrong at all.
I hate it when I'm out on the lake and there's no one else out there. Then out of nowhere somebody comes out and heads all the way across the lake straight to where I'm at.
And they start the old line of questions how's the fishing, get any big ones, what you catching them on, etc.
Usually I want to tell them to go find their own spots or get the heck away from me and  my friends.
But I usually just lie to them and tell them the fishing is no good and leave it at that.
But there's no point in setting up on top of someone else especially if you're not going to ask nicely first.
I know on some of the smaller lakes there might only be a few good spots and maybe you intend to fish one only to find someone beat you to the spot.
At a minimum I would ask nicely if they minded if I fish close to them. And I would still give them plenty of room.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigander by birth, Hoosier by force!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 18, 2022, 12:49 PM »
I have not gone out this year because the beards with barn coats crowd me out. Trespassing to boot.
Heart in Michigan. Stuck in Indiana.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #37 on: Jan 18, 2022, 01:19 PM »

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 18, 2022, 01:29 PM »
I have not gone out this year because the beards with barn coats crowd me out. Trespassing to boot.

I have a beard and wear a barn coat  :P

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 18, 2022, 01:52 PM »
One of my favorite quotes comes to mind its "I think people like you are what gives A**holes a bad name"

Me too! Mine is:  I used to be a people person................ then people ruined it!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2022, 01:57 PM »
Your 100% right! I had the same thing a few years back. But it was a old guy about 70 yrs old and I said to myself it's not worth say anything to him so I let him go. But in the past it happened to me so what I did is fire up the jiffy and put a hole inches from him, ice chips flying all over him! He is yelling and screaming! He left right after I drilled the hole!!

That’s GREAT!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigander by birth, Hoosier by force!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 18, 2022, 02:25 PM »
Me too! Mine is:  I used to be a people person................ then people ruined it!
Matching hat and a horse and buggy?
Heart in Michigan. Stuck in Indiana.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 19, 2022, 12:12 PM »
This is easy. If it ever happens to me, I just act SUPER overly friendly and ummm, sorry to be politically incorrect, actually physically retarded, slurring my speech and asking all sorts of questions like why the sky is blue and how the lake gets hard enough to walk on. Maybe ask some questions on where babies come from, tell them a story about how your uncle Ernie touched you "down there" during a family picnic... you know, act really happy they showed up, like SUPER happy about it!! Then tell them you made a stinky in your pants, oops, can you help me clean it?

To me this is a golden opportunity to have a fricken blast with someone! It can be tough not to laugh though!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 19, 2022, 12:16 PM »
This is easy. If it ever happens to me, I just act SUPER overly friendly and ummm, sorry to be politically incorrect, actually physically retarded, slurring my speech and asking all sorts of questions like why the sky is blue and how the lake gets hard enough to walk on. Maybe ask some questions on where babies come from, tell them a story about how your uncle Ernie touched you "down there" during a family picnic... you know, act really happy they showed up, like SUPER happy about it!! Then tell them you made a stinky in your pants, oops, can you help me clean it?

To me this is a golden opportunity to have a fricken blast with someone! It can be tough not to laugh though!
lol we need to hang out!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #44 on: Jan 20, 2022, 10:47 AM »
I guess I have been lucky on the ice at least. The metro lakes I fish are pretty pressured both open and ice fishing. Open water I have been on a favorite spot on a canal and had people watching me catch fish and come and setup within 5’ on either side of me, and get in my face when I explained that there was plenty of canal to fish and I didn’t like them crowding up on me. They both got pretty aggressive so I packed up and left. Just about 100 yards and started catching again, and sure enough they reeled in and started heading my way. Fine with me because the conservation officer who showed up about ten minutes after they were laughing and asking me was I going to move again happened to be a close friend. They stopped laughing as soon as he found out that neither one of them had valid licenses. 😁 ice fishing I have only had folks come up and tell me that where I was fishing was a favorite spot did they mind if they setup in fairly close proximity. As I have gotten older it takes me longer to heal up so I try not to have the need to unlike 40 years ago! 👻
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #45 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:50 PM »
Bawahahaaa!
Classic

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 21, 2022, 10:25 AM »
If Im going to be combat fishing and I want to get rid of people that are too close I just blast the appropriate music to accomplish it. It may be Polish. It may be Mexican. It may be death metal.  If the guys can handle being 10ft from the speaker at full blast for an hour he's earned it. Either that or I'll bring my spaniel out with me and have her on a 25ft lead. It gets old fast when she tries to get to every one of your fish as soon as they come out of the hole. It's easy to get her to stop. If you are me😁 Otherwise, good luck.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:14 PM »
If Im going to be combat fishing and I want to get rid of people that are too close I just blast the appropriate music to accomplish it. It may be Polish. It may be Mexican. It may be death metal.  If the guys can handle being 10ft from the speaker at full blast for an hour he's earned it. Either that or I'll bring my spaniel out with me and have her on a 25ft lead. It gets old fast when she tries to get to every one of your fish as soon as they come out of the hole. It's easy to get her to stop. If you are me😁 Otherwise, good luck.

Problem with the whole music thing is that I would be torturing myself just as much as the other person!
Kind of defeats the purpose of the peace and quiet of being in nature.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.