The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Moosehead Jan Ice?  (Read 626 times)

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Moosehead Jan Ice?
« on: Nov 06, 2021, 08:24 PM »
Ice Shanty, frost is here snow starting to fall. Quick question for my friends up north. Looking to book a house on Moosehead for the third weekend in January. Is the bay usually locked up by then? My kids are young so just trying to be safe...I know Jackman is but the Moose is a bit bigger! Thank you! ...Disclosure I know check the Ice and conditions always change but just trying to get an idea.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Moosehead Jan Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2021, 01:28 PM »
15 years ago, I would bet on "yes", as of late, who knows.  Probably something to visit at the end of the year.  I have a camp outside of Millinocket and usually post when we can get on Pemadumcook Chain, pretty close latitude wise.  Keep an eye on Wilson's and Birches Facebook reports.  After 1/1, I am sure there will be several people posting about Moosehead.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Moosehead Jan Ice?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2021, 02:17 PM »
Most years, yes there will be ice on Moosehead early-mid January but last year it took a while. By "the bay" I assume you mean North Bay, so you're planning to stay in Tomhegan/Toe of the Boot? That's a big body of water and could be the last area of the lake to freeze (other than stream inlet/outlets and narrows that never freeze). January 15th might be cutting it close, and don't forget that no salmon can be removed from the water until February 15th. Darby is correct, watch the local camp postings, websites and webcams. Those webcams are the best source of ice info. Be extra careful on that lake, seems like every year someone is lost through the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.