Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Suggestions for southern Maine waters for a fishing trip

(1/2) > >>

sploke:
Greetings Maine-iacs! I'm looking for some lake suggestions for a trip for a group of guys heading up that way for a long weekend in Feb. Historically we've always ended up at Moosehead but we're looking for some new ground. I've been looking in the Sebago/Little Sebago/Long Lake area as a start. We'd like to primarily focus on salmon and togue, but also having cusk is a big bonus. The chance for a brookie or brown is always fun too. Anyone have some suggestions on other bodies of water to consider?

Also, a question on the regs: For example for Long Lake in Cumberland Co., I see the S regs like this:

--- Quote from: Maine IFW ---General fishing laws apply, except: From October 1 - December 31: ALO (Artificial lures only), S-7 (All trout, landlocked salmon, and togue caught must be released alive at once).
--- End quote ---

I read that as, the S regs only apply from 10/1 through 12/31, and outside of that it’s general fishing laws across the board. So if we're there in Feb and fishing salmon for example, we can use live bait and keep two 14"+ fish. Am I interpreting that correctly?

9huskies:
I don't know the southern part of Maine well enough to suggest anyplace. I try to avoid going that close to Massachusetts. I can confirm that you are interpreting the rules correctly. One of the reasons that seasonal rule is in place is because many ponds are stocked with trout and salmon in October and November in so ice fishers can catch them. The ALO and S7 rules give those fish time to disperse and adjust to the transition from hatchery to lake conditions.

sploke:

--- Quote from: 9huskies on Sep 30, 2021, 07:12 AM ---I don't know the southern part of Maine well enough to suggest anyplace. I try to avoid going that close to Massachusetts. I can confirm that you are interpreting the rules correctly. One of the reasons that seasonal rule is in place is because many ponds are stocked with trout and salmon in October and November in so ice fishers can catch them. The ALO and S7 rules give those fish time to disperse and adjust to the transition from hatchery to lake conditions.

--- End quote ---

Awesome, thanks!  Makes sense.

Moosekill:
I believe that you have read that correctly. 
Sebago you can't fish for or catch salmon during ice fishing.  Lots of togue, cusk.  The lake doesn't always completely freeze.  Lots and lots of togue, but can be very tricky if you don't know what you are doing.
Little Sebago whenever I have fished it has been mostly perch and bass.  Probably some salmon in it but others would have to answer.
Long Lake.  Caught a few salmon in here, lots of bass and perch and pickerel too. 

I live down here but prefer to fish further north/ east.

sploke:
Thanks!  Right now I'm leaning toward Long Lake - it sounds like it has a good mix of species, stuff that we could actually keep if we want to, and looks like it is a good mix of a reasonable drive (about 4 hrs for me) with some rental cottages available right on the lake.  We really prefer to get up early and walk right out vs having to screw around with loading the cars and driving somewhere unfamiliar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version