Author Topic: WINTER 2021/2022  (Read 6859 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: WINTER 2021/2022
« Reply #30 on: Oct 21, 2021, 03:48 PM »
NOAA

&t=1s
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #31 on: Oct 21, 2021, 04:11 PM »
Looks good for me :)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 21, 2021, 05:19 PM »
We still haven't even had a frost yet, and nothing below 38° in the 10 day forecast here  :'(

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigander by birth, Hoosier by force!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 21, 2021, 05:23 PM »
Patience my friend. It will come. But yeah, I'm ready too.
Heart in Michigan. Stuck in Indiana.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 21, 2021, 08:46 PM »
Got another 3 inches this morning.  I can’t remember the last time we’ve had this much snow this early.  I’ve had 20 inches come down since sept 23 but it’s been going through warming spells and most of it is melting off.  The temps are supposed to really drop next week so I think it will be here for good after that.  This could turn out to be an awesome winter but I do hope it goes easy on the moose they really need a break after two hard winters in a row. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 22, 2021, 10:50 AM »
The ice belt has hitched higher up like an old man's waist line in the last 30 years. I don't see more than four to six weeks of hard water around here, and that may be split into a week between now and Christmas, and then the rest around Valentine's Day.

I'm ready to sell off shelters, since I ain't gonna get to use 'em
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 22, 2021, 12:16 PM »
The ice belt has hitched higher up like an old man's waist line in the last 30 years. I don't see more than four to six weeks of hard water around here, and that may be split into a week between now and Christmas, and then the rest around Valentine's Day.

I'm at about the same latitude as you, and we've had the same trend. Fishable ice is getting less and less common here. Last year we had about a week of it right after Xmas, then had a meltoff and open water for a good part of January, then got ice again through most of February before it melted off for good at the end of the month.

We've had a couple years in the past 15 where we never even got ice.  :-\ 2 winters ago came real close... had 4 days of walkable ice all season. It's definitely trending toward less ice in general in this area, aside from when we get a big cold shot.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Oct 25, 2021, 02:32 AM »
I just hope we get hit hard with snow, even if that means no ice fishing.

Drought here in Utah is the worst I have ever seen, our lakes look like ponds and its a bit scary
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #38 on: Oct 25, 2021, 03:51 AM »

The one thing I've learned over the years is: you can't count mother nature out, it will be what it will be. :whistle:

IW

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 10, 2021, 02:26 PM »

I just moved to Lincoln this spring. This is not the post I wanted to read today!  :'( Guess I'll be driving north some this winter.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #41 on: Nov 11, 2021, 01:00 PM »
My area seldom gets fishable ice anymore! Worse every year!!  :%$#!:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 11, 2021, 08:43 PM »
Plenty of ice up here Old Sailor, your welcome anytime.  If it makes you feel any better we are in the middle of a blizzard and have received 2 foot plus of snow since 9pm last night. 

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 12, 2021, 12:46 PM »
It's spitting the first few snowflakes of the season here as we speak. Local weathermen, and online are all saying we're going to get a dusting tomorrow night into Sunday morning. The ground isn't frozen, so it won't stick around long.

Online bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #44 on: Nov 12, 2021, 01:50 PM »
I don't trust any weather forecasts out more than 24 hours. And at 48 hours out, I'd give them 50:50 chance on being right...

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 12, 2021, 09:01 PM »
I don't trust any weather forecasts out more than 24 hours. And at 48 hours out, I'd give them 50:50 chance on being right...
That was true 20 years ago but they are far better at accurate long range predictions now.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #46 on: Nov 13, 2021, 08:16 AM »
All I heard was El Nina is here again this year so I am planning on it being closer to last years conditions which were not very good.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 13, 2021, 10:24 AM »
3 day is usually fairly accurate around here. Out past that by much, you never know.

We got a dusting of snow last night, and a bit of it stuck around until sunup this morning. Supposed to get a bit more tonight, but the real snow is tracking north of here.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 15, 2021, 09:21 AM »
Woke up this morning to 2 above here at the house and -23 up at the lake. I could probably drag the hardside out next week if I was putting it out this year but Ive got bigger plans.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 15, 2021, 09:26 AM »
Supposed to be below freezing at night the next week or so straight here, but I don't really put much thought into it for ice until late into December around here. Watching it more for deer season, which opens on Friday. Looks like it should be pretty good this year. No rain or sleet in there, at least.

A fishable freeze up before Xmas would be a once in a century fluke in my neck of the woods.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #51 on: Nov 15, 2021, 09:36 AM »
Been in uppers 20's to around 32* at nite here for the last week. Same for this week, say the weather morjits.
Might actually be making ice soon if this keeps up.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #52 on: Nov 15, 2021, 09:56 AM »
Over 60 here yesterday and more of the same today. Hey AK can you send  some of that weather down here please????

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Nov 16, 2021, 12:07 AM »
Sure no problem.  I turned the fan off a few winters ago because our winters were sucking pretty bad so I wanted to keep what I had.  After last winter and the winter before that I thing I can afford to share a little.  Drifter is going to have to catch up I don’t think he’s even seen a negative (Fahrenheit) temp yet this year.  Kind of counting on that ice road.😉

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 20, 2021, 09:26 AM »
-36 up at the lake right now with a light band of Aurora overhead.  I’m sitting right around -10 here at the house.  For those of you who want to see some ice google lake Louise lodge and click on weather and you will be able to see the webcam and weather gauge.  Hey Missoula you sure you still want some of this?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.