Author Topic: Pin holes in my flip up.  (Read 5266 times)

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
Pin holes in my flip up.
« on: Jun 21, 2021, 10:03 AM »
I noticed in my fx100 that sitting inside I can see small pin holes where the material is thinning. It's only in a couple small areas. Any ideas what to use on it to help cover the areas. I'd like to repair it and save buying another cover or another flip up.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Pin holes in my flip up.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2021, 11:28 AM »
The SEARCH function on IceShanty appears not to be working ..there may be other products that members have used with success ..Flex Seal comes to mind ..but not certain ..if the Search function begins to work be sure an do some research as many others have traveled down that road .

https://clamoutdoors.com/pages/customer-support#:~:text=What%20can%20be%20done%3F%20Clam%20Outdoors%20tent%20fabrics,the%20fabric%20and%20is%20simply%20an%20appearance%20issue.

this is from Clam FAQ
t is normal for some of the dark colored coating to come off the inside of the tent. Over time, as you set up and take down the shelter, the dark coating can begin to flake off, especially along the folds in the fabric when the shelter is collapsed. This does not affect the function of the fabric. If you feel that too much light is now entering your shelter in the places where some of the coating has come off, you may wish to apply a new layer of rubberized coating. A product you may use for this is PlastiDip (black), available in an aerosol spray. This is available at many hardware or home improvement stores.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2021, 08:33 AM »
The very first time I used my Clam 2 man flip I was with a crew and we had a nice fire on the ice. One of the knuckleheads in the crew tossed a big log into the fire and lots of sparks and embers landed on my fabric burning tiny holes all over the top. I used Shoe Goo on each of the tiny holes and have had no leaks at all for more than 20 years. A boat canvas shop will probably have the cloth material to match your cover if the issue is wear through in a few spots.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2021, 02:40 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I'll look up some plastidip.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2021, 03:13 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I'll look up some plastidip.

I am sure you will find it at your locaL HD

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Dip-11-oz-Black-11203-6/100131010
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2021, 04:57 PM »
I've seen a lot of that in porty's...I always looked at it as a way for the moisture to get out, not an issue for me.
I'm sure any of the suggestion on here would work. You could also dip a small brush in a tube of Shoe Goo and use that, it works well for that sort of thing.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2021, 04:37 PM »
Has any body actually used either of these products, the Plastidip or the flex seal?  Curious how well the odor of the product dissipates?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2021, 04:43 PM »
Im also wondering..the black coating is starting to come off in some spots on the inside of my shappell fx100.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2021, 06:33 PM »
Saw somewhere that someone tried flex seal and it stayed sticky. Can't seem to find it now might've been Facebook

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2021, 08:26 PM »
The SEARCH function on IceShanty appears not to be working ..there may be other products that members have used with success ..Flex Seal comes to mind ..but not certain ..if the Search function begins to work be sure an do some research as many others have traveled down that road .

https://clamoutdoors.com/pages/customer-support#:~:text=What%20can%20be%20done%3F%20Clam%20Outdoors%20tent%20fabrics,the%20fabric%20and%20is%20simply%20an%20appearance%20issue.

this is from Clam FAQ
t is normal for some of the dark colored coating to come off the inside of the tent. Over time, as you set up and take down the shelter, the dark coating can begin to flake off, especially along the folds in the fabric when the shelter is collapsed. This does not affect the function of the fabric. If you feel that too much light is now entering your shelter in the places where some of the coating has come off, you may wish to apply a new layer of rubberized coating. A product you may use for this is PlastiDip (black), available in an aerosol spray. This is available at many hardware or home improvement stores.

I have given this advice/link on numerous occasions through out the years concerning the topic ..but I dont recall any members feed back on its success or an outcome in general.

Saw somewhere that someone tried flex seal and it stayed sticky. Can't seem to find it now might've been Facebook

I to recall seeing the Flex Seal fail somewhere.

Offline JOBBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2021, 09:26 AM »
I was going to try Flexseal for asphalt driveway cracks. Not done yet due to all the rain. I called them about the application. They replied, "...it's an acceptable application, and a number of customers have done so." It is designed to withstand temperatures from -80°F to 350°F.

I did some further research, about rubberized coatings, "Flexseal, appears to deteriorate quickly in large cold-hot temperature fluctuations. This would make it less suitable option for outside use." The article's recommendation for outdoor use was Rust-Oleum Leak Seal. They felt it appeared to withstand temperatures much better than Flex Seal. It is also cheaper than Flex Seal.

Now actual personal experience. My old hunting ground blind had more than a few pin holes. I used Gardner Bender - https://www.gardnerbender.com/en/p/LTS-400/Spray-Liquid-Tape-Black
Most big box stores have it. It seems to block the light (large areas) and holding up, not flaking off.
I did mine in the summer, and by fall there were no fumes discernable to me.
It also didn't seem to bother the deer, but he expired before any comment.
WARNING - This stuff has nasty fumes; use a respirator. Open everything you can.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2021, 08:50 PM »
JOBBER, Thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2021, 11:41 AM »
My frabil flip over has had pin holes like that since the day I bought it used  8 years ago. Never had a problem with it dripping or anything else. For bigger tears and rips I just stick on a small duct tape patch. don't over think it.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2021, 01:29 PM »
Have any of you guys ever used SeamSeal for tents? It would be perfect for what you are looking to do, it's made for this purpose.

https://www.rei.com/product/603034/gear-aid-seam-grip-seam-sealer
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2021, 03:38 PM »
Jethro,
I have used it on my backpacking tent seams, however, I've not had tent out in rain yet tho.  it applies well

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2021, 03:42 PM »
Have any of you guys ever used SeamSeal for tents? It would be perfect for what you are looking to do, it's made for this purpose.

https://www.rei.com/product/603034/gear-aid-seam-grip-seam-sealer

YES! It works great on the fabric stitching but not sure how well it will work on pin holes. Shoe Goo is what I have had the best results with.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2021, 03:49 PM »
Although I am a huge fan of Gear Aid products ..but haven't used the seam sealer ..I have used the Coleman roll on on my turkey Hub ..application was ezpz.

https://www.coleman.com/camp-essentials/camping-tools/seam-sealer/SAP_2000038214.html

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jul 30, 2021, 09:20 PM »
I noticed in my fx100 that sitting inside I can see small pin holes where the material is thinning. It's only in a couple small areas. Any ideas what to use on it to help cover the areas. I'd like to repair it and save buying another cover or another flip up.
I have used PlastiDip many times and with great success! Wouldn’t use anything else.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jul 30, 2021, 09:23 PM »
Has any body actually used either of these products, the Plastidip or the flex seal?  Curious how well the odor of the product dissipates?
The paint like odor of plastidip dissipates fast and well.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2021, 05:14 AM »
I have plasti Dip on my Cars Front and rear bumpers and the top of the car.  The stuff works great .
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.