Author Topic: It’s going fast  (Read 2592 times)

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
It’s going fast
« on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:57 PM »
Hit schock lake after work tonight,ice is soft and deteriorating fast .With temps approaching 50 this weekend it might be toast.Granted most lakes have a lot of snow ice and very little clear ice.Oh well it’s still been a better ice season than the last three we’ve had .Be safe venturing out the rest of the season

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: It’s going fast
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:09 PM »
I saw this on Facebook today. I hope the poster doesn't mind me posting it as it's in line with this thread and could save someone from a tragedy.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigander by birth, Hoosier by force!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:26 PM »
My son is an EMT with Mentone. He texted me about this while I was on the lake with my daughter. We had great ice in Lagrange County. Got a dozen nice gills.
Heart in Michigan. Stuck in Indiana.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2021, 04:31 AM »
My son is an EMT with Mentone. He texted me about this while I was on the lake with my daughter. We had great ice in Lagrange County. Got a dozen nice gills.

Maybe has something to do with depth snow cover on the ice? I know Lagrange County got less snow in the last big storm than farther south. I only got about 6 inches in Ligonier while Ft. Wayne got a foot.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2021, 05:57 AM »
Ours is turning really quick. I went out on a pond for a bit yesterday after work. The sheet had thinned from 10" on Sunday morning to less than 7. The top was sloppy slush and there were puddles of water standing in spots. The edges are getting really soft, only took me 2 hard pokes with the chisel to pop through it along the banks.

I'm going to try it again after work today, but I'm not sure I'll even be able to get on it as fast as the edges are rotting.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2021, 06:57 AM »
I think you're right taxi.  Was on a Noble county lake yesterday and I believe the snow pack is helping insulate the ice.  Just not sure how long before it honeycombs with the water and slush on top.  At 10am I was walking on top most places, not so much later in the day.

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2021, 06:58 AM »
Maybe has something to do with depth snow cover on the ice? I know Lagrange County got less snow in the last big storm than farther south. I only got about 6 inches in Ligonier while Ft. Wayne got a foot.

I'm wondering about dark bottoms soaking up more sun and softening the ice.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:26 AM »
Another factor is the photoperiod this time of year.  Longer days for melting while the sun is up.

We get another arctic outbreak next week thoug according to some computer models.

Edit: Updated computer models don't show an arctic outbreak.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:55 AM »
That's exactly what we need.  If this crap on top would re-freeze it would go along ways to extending the season.  Sun is definitely hot!  I don't cheer on the clouds very often but definitely like to see them this time of year.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:03 AM »
Looks like our season is done sometime in the next couple days this far south. It won't be coming back once it opens up around here.

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:39 PM »
Hit schock this afternoon.managed 20 nice gills.Ice is very scary and chunking out .It’s my last outing for the season if any brave souls venture out be safe and have safety protocols

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:14 PM »
My season is done. I stepped through to my shins trying to get out on a pond today... lots of standing water on top, and there was a little open water with a flock of geese on the far end.

Looked at a couple other ponds and they had open water spots, too. Packed all the gear up and put it away for next winter.

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:15 PM »
I'm done too. Spikes will go in my brides bluebird feeders tomorrow.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:20 PM »
Time to prep the boat, as soon as the snow finishes melting off my yard and dries out enough to move the trailer.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:13 AM »
I'm done too. Spikes will go in my brides bluebird feeders tomorrow.

Can you elaborate on that?

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:21 AM »
We feed the bluebirds heavy at my house. Mealworms. They can eat my bait too.

Offline SlabHammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2021, 01:03 PM »
Was on wawasee yesterday evening, water all over the place but under the slush there was still a lot of good ice. It's such a mess though that I dont think I will be out again.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2021, 02:16 PM »
Was there this morning and it tightened up pretty good! Had water under the surface but good ice on down. The damn fish didn’t bite worth a crap again. Hex

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2021, 04:39 PM »
We feed the bluebirds heavy at my house. Mealworms. They can eat my bait too.

Oh get it now. I thought you meant ice spikes for boots! I was sooooooooo confused!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.