Author Topic: Global warming is back  (Read 2548 times)

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Global warming is back
« on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:09 AM »
I thought Joe had it fixed in the first hundred days but I was wrong again.  The extended is going right down the drain with the tidy bowl man.  50s called for next weekend now.  Our pond will be toast by then if not before.  The water is going to get deep and hopefully we don't have a bunch of flooding.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Global warming is back
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:44 AM »
As much snow as we had on the ground here, mixed with a rapid warmup and rain, I think river and creek/ditch flooding is pretty much a guarantee.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:56 AM »
It must be.,......we go from a week of -20's to 45* and then 49* for tuesday and Wednesday.... ::)
That's OK. Got 2 neighbors snowblowers to work on; at least I can get the garage up to the mid 50's with the heater. Won't be freezin my paws off again.  Gettin' too old for that!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:59 AM »
It must be.,......we go from a week of -20's to 45* and then 49* for tuesday and Wednesday.... ::)
That's OK. Got 2 neighbors snowblowers to work on; at least I can get the garage up to the mid 50's with the heater. Won't be freezin my paws off again.  Gettin' too old for that!

Yep, -8 here last Friday, forecast for this Friday is 44 and 52 Saturday.

Time to pack the boat trailer bearings and blow the cobwebs out of the outboard as soon as the snowdrifts finish melting.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:36 AM »
if it melts all at one time with rain, it will surely flood.  those floods pull major migrations of walleye up to ft wayne though. ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:51 AM »
Makes a real mess around here. Last big flood in 2018, my Dad couldn't get out of his house for 4 days.

I live a few miles from the river, so it has no life altering impact on me, but it does make me have to drive about an extra 25 miles a day for work, since my only direct routes both cross the river in spots that flood out.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:18 PM »
if it melts all at one time with rain, it will surely flood.  those floods pull major migrations of walleye up to ft wayne though. ;D
From the Maumee spring run?

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:29 PM »
I believe he's just referring to the resident populations pushing up the rivers to the local dams. 

The ones from Erie only make it so far up the Maumee before they hit the first dam (Waterville I believe).

Going to be a nasty ice out again this year.  I hope things don't get too tore up in Perrysburg.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2021, 02:16 PM »
It's going quick. I just checked the pond I fished Saturday. The 8" if snow that was on top is ALL gone. Had 10" of ice Saturday... drilled a hole right next to my old holes, and it was about 8.5" today, and the top couple inches are mush. 40° and windy right now.. I bet it's open water by the weekend.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2021, 02:31 PM »
correct roeboat.  the bigger the flood the more eyes that end up at the hosey dam.  they swim up from farther down river and stack up in the fort.  although when we get dam breaching floods they do swim past the dams.  several years back it breached the dams on the maumee.  we get replenished on those years. ;D

even if the ice stays good the watrers mite not be.  with runoff comes food and mud.  they get full then clam up in the murk a few days.  i fish lakes with the least runoff then.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:09 PM »
Been wading the Maumee in Perrysburg since I had to be carried over to Bluegrass.   Lot's of good memories and a few not so good!

Offline stephen20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:03 PM »
I’ve been going to the Maumee for 10 years now. I love it!

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:51 AM »
Been wading the Maumee in Perrysburg since I had to be carried over to Bluegrass.   Lot's of good memories and a few not so good!

I've been hitting the run for years... always a good catch. My job allows the week days alot of the time. Havent got a black eye yet...haha

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:14 PM »
It's thinning out fast. I was sitting on this same spot on 10" of ice Saturday morning, and it is less than 7 now.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:20 PM »
Hitting the slough for an all day trip tomorrow then packing my gear away. Short season but better than last year by far.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:29 PM »
 Last week it was -20*. Sunday we got 4" snow.  45* here now.    :wacko:

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:50 PM »
Hitting the slough for an all day trip tomorrow then packing my gear away. Short season but better than last year by far.
Good luck my friend tore them up today.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:24 PM »
Last week it was -20*. Sunday we got 4" snow.  45* here now.    :wacko:

It was -15 here Wednesday morning, and -8 Friday morning. Jumped up to 40 yesterday, 43 today, and the forecast Saturday is all the way up to 56°

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:52 PM »
It's the tropical cuckoo vortex.  :wacko:

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2021, 04:32 AM »
As much snow as we had on the ground here, mixed with a rapid warmup and rain, I think river and creek/ditch flooding is pretty much a guarantee.

According to NWS there isn't enough water content in the snow to cause flooding.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2021, 06:59 AM »
Never heard anything like that before ^^^!  Sure seems like if we get rain we're going to have a big mess.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:24 AM »
Never heard anything like that before ^^^!  Sure seems like if we get rain we're going to have a big mess.

It was so cold when we got the snow it a was up to about a 20:1 snow water ratio. E.g. wet snow is about 10:1. Water levels were low up to that point. Would have to be a significant rainfall to get flooding.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:51 AM »
Have to agree with Taxi! We were in a drought situation last fall if memory serves me right. Most swamps around me are pretty dry, I noticed at Round Lake the last time I was there the ditch between Round and Shriner lakes was dry as a bone. Going to take a lot of water to cause much flooding around here (Noble Co.). Hex

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:57 AM »
Seems like we will still have a lot of runoff with a quick melt due to the frost depth in the ground.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:01 AM »
Have to agree with Taxi! We were in a drought situation last fall if memory serves me right. Most swamps around me are pretty dry, I noticed at Round Lake the last time I was there the ditch between Round and Shriner lakes was dry as a bone. Going to take a lot of water to cause much flooding around here (Noble Co.). Hex

It was extremely dry here in the fall. I couldn't even launch my boat in the Iroquois River ar at the two nearest ramps much past Labor Day. I could walk bank to bank at the boat ramp without water coming in the top of my boots... was maybe 3 inches deep clear across in October.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:17 AM »
"At this time, little if any flooding is expected,
although rises on rivers are likely as snow melt continues. Very
limited  precipitation is expected over the next 7 days."

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=IWX&issuedby=IWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.