The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Slow day slowbago - not so slow update  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Slow day slowbago - not so slow update
« on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:11 PM »
Hit the big lake today, fished from just after sunup till 2. Three of us marked some fish throughout the day, only had a handful of chasers each. A few missed strikes each as well. But I did manage to connect with one, and so did the other two, but one was lost at the hole.
Here’s mine, the biggest of the two caught today lol. Also, I need to remember sun glasses

Offline catchacold

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Slow day slowbago
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2021, 11:42 PM »
Nice job!

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:52 AM »
congrads  on those and getting out how much ice did you have
in god we trust

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:53 AM »
Nice one seamonkey!

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2021, 10:19 AM »
Nice fish. The way I see it.....any day that I set out on the ice after trout or salmon and catch even one is a good day @)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2021, 11:55 AM »
congrads  on those and getting out how much ice did you have

We had a good 8” or so out at the station.

Nice fish. The way I see it.....any day that I set out on the ice after trout or salmon and catch even one is a good day @)

Yes, catching any at all counts as a success (especially on that lake). We did Mark several fish through the day, so it wasn’t completely barren. They just weren’t in a playing mood.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2021, 03:31 PM »
Chi, Nice Laker ! I’m surprised I don’t see any neighbors out there.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2021, 07:13 PM »
Seamonkey  was that you and family with a large fish on for a long time before losing it last year. i took pictures of a man and family as the played a large togue we all saw it under the hole a few times and it finally broke off  I think it was a winner , we all felt so bad to see such a big fish break off.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2021, 10:56 PM »
Nope, haven’t had a big one on the end of my line through the ice yet  ::). Only fished the lake on the ice a handful of times, never did the derby.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:11 AM »
Well yesterday we hit the big lake again. This time with atv and snowmobile so it was easier to get around. Started with 4 in our group, got drilling and fishing about 6:30. Two more joined the group a few hours later, we all spread out a bit of course. We all started marking fish and bait right away, so much better start already. The fish that showed up were all wiling to chase and play, one of the rare days that more than half the fish that showed on my screen actually bit! When we grouped up again before we left, I asked everyone else how they did. Mind you, I was the only one in the group of 6 that wasn’t a guide  ::). In total the other 5 caught 9, I grinned and showed the 6 I had in the sled  ;D. I didn’t take many pics though.

Here’s my friend with one of the 3 he caught

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Slow day slowbago - not so slow update
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:28 AM »
Chi, That is a good day. That first Togue looks full of alewives.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:15 PM »
good job getting into them man! love eating togue under 4lbs.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2021, 05:58 PM »
Yes that a good eating size some of the 3.5 lbers were loaded with Roe for the fall spawn. Ive been baking them on a cooky sheet at 350° for 35 min. let them cool and debone them for a later fry mixed with sauce crackers and two eggs per lb and a cup of chopped onions  make a nice tight patty  and fry on a med heat brown on both sides , Keeps us on a heathy feed for a while.  I do the perch and Crappies the same .I do fillet the perch fresh after a catch.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2021, 06:59 PM »
sounds like u have it down pat !
 :flex: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:58 PM »
Good day!  Looks like there were cloudy skies........usually better than that bright bluebird stuff.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2021, 12:08 PM »
Nice job!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2021, 03:09 PM »
Yes that a good eating size some of the 3.5 lbers were loaded with Roe for the fall spawn. Ive been baking them on a cooky sheet at 350° for 35 min. let them cool and debone them for a later fry mixed with sauce crackers and two eggs per lb and a cup of chopped onions  make a nice tight patty  and fry on a med heat brown on both sides , Keeps us on a heathy feed for a while.  I do the perch and Crappies the same .I do fillet the perch fresh after a catch.
never tried them in patties. i usually do that with pickeral. i love the fillets browned under the broiler with olive oil and seasonings.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:40 PM »
I did it again! I got 8 today!  Lost several on the way up. Lots of lookers and they were staying on bottom today. Not in a chasing mood at all.
Three not pictured.

Also, the ice is starting to get dark on Sebago, not many days left.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2021, 07:58 AM »
Great   catch !! you need to be very careful now with this warm weather it will break up fast. Last week i know of three different parties that landed close to 50 fish a day..

Offline fred skalanga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2021, 09:18 AM »
I did it again! I got 8 today!  Lost several on the way up. Lots of lookers and they were staying on bottom today. Not in a chasing mood at all.
Three not pictured.

Also, the ice is starting to get dark on Sebago, not many days left.

Nice catch.  I suspect you were in 165 fow.  Wish I lived closer.  I’ll have to wait til next year.  What sonar were you using as I’m looking to get a new unit?  The Marcum LX7 with lithium shuttle pack looks good.  I have Navionics on my phone so I don’t need gps.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2021, 12:15 AM »
I was a bit deeper, I was at one hole all day 187ft. I have a garmin echomap 7cv, the panoptix feature was great for putting the hole right where you want it on the contour and seeing high swimming fish off to the sides  ;D. But it only saw my jig to about 80-90ft down, so I had the standard transducer going too.

Offline TOEGN8R

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2021, 05:55 PM »
Nice catch.  I suspect you were in 165 fow.  Wish I lived closer.  I’ll have to wait til next year.  What sonar were you using as I’m looking to get a new unit?  The Marcum LX7 with lithium shuttle pack looks good.  I have Navionics on my phone so I don’t need gps.

You won't be disappointed with the LX7

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2021, 07:53 PM »
I was a bit deeper, I was at one hole all day 187ft. I have a garmin echomap 7cv, the panoptix feature was great for putting the hole right where you want it on the contour and seeing high swimming fish off to the sides  ;D. But it only saw my jig to about 80-90ft down, so I had the standard transducer going too.

Settings make a huge difference on the ps22 and the lsv32.  I have both and the livescope gets tricky beyond 100ft.  The ps22 "livevu" I've used successfully in 130 but it was with heavy jigs.  Over 1oz.  90-100 with 3/8oz jigs was no problem.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2021, 09:19 PM »
I was using 3/8oz tungsten jig heads with 4” gulp minnows. I was able to see it down to about 90, then it tends to drop out of sight. I was able to see it a bit further after putting it on a higher gain, but had too much clutter to make it worth it. I just set the standard sonar screen to bottom zoom, and had it set to see the jig on the graph as it falls out of of the liveVu range, with a little overlap in the slight shallower areas. But even 185ft down, the smallest fish of the day did show up on liveVu as it came off bottom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.