The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Jack traps  (Read 5906 times)

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jack traps
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:48 AM »
Completely agree on the bait bands, and IMO you never want drag on a live bait.  Doesn't matter if your talking about a 6" brookie, or a 200lb swordfish.  Running charters for many years, that was the hardest thing to teach clients...."don't let them know you're there, until you set the hook."  Obvious exception is trolling, but that doesn't apply very often to iceshanty ;D

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:49 AM »
Crap, hit post twice....been a long night plowing

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:52 AM »
Agree with the last couple post, as well.  You don't want the fish to feel any tension until you set the hook.  I bolt on downrigger clips on my tip ups for using big live bait.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:55 AM »
Jack traps also sells big bait clips and we'll ask big bait bands.
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:14 AM »
Jack traps also sells big bait clips and we'll ask big bait bands.
The clips are nice but the bands work just as well.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:19 AM »
The clips are nice but the bands work just as well.

I agree. Just throwing options out there for the drag queens......  ;D  :tipup:

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:21 AM »

I agree. Just throwing options out there for the drag queens......  ;D  :tipup:
Lol I hear ya man.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2021, 04:34 PM »
jacks are great traps. ive had some over the years but prefer heritages up here. in the real cold setting the flag is a pain. but for fishing as is jacks are where its at. also have some 40ups with the big plastic reels that work real good also. only problem with heritages is the spool bolt. drill  the hole completely thru and replace with stainless carriage one and a lock nut and theyre a great trap also.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:13 PM »
Crap, hit post twice....been a long night plowing
  took care of it for you   be safe

Offline AcezHi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 03, 2021, 07:10 AM »
I also bought a few Jack's and a Forest City trap.
I filled out the set this year with Forest City.
I prefer the style of the trap to the Jacks.
I know it is a preference, but I like the more Laker style trap.
I like the flags better, I like the drag for large bait.

Buy one and try them. I did and got what I liked best.

The key is to enjoy the fishing.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 03, 2021, 07:50 AM »
jacks are great traps. ive had some over the years but prefer heritages up here. in the real cold setting the flag is a pain. but for fishing as is jacks are where its at. also have some 40ups with the big plastic reels that work real good also. only problem with heritages is the spool bolt. drill  the hole completely thru and replace with stainless carriage one and a lock nut and theyre a great trap also.

I have the 40 ups with metal reels, wish I had bought 10-15 of them. Shoulda bought when I saw it at..........

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:01 AM »
Jack traps are nice, I have seen them blow over due to the small base area on windy days a few times. I like the Heritage Lakers more. That being said I run “40 ups” that I got for 10.99 at mardens and they work amazingly well.

I love my 40 ups.. sadly I believe they are out of business? Anyone hear otherwise?
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:03 AM »
I love my 40 ups.. sadly I believe they are out of business? Anyone hear otherwise?

They aren't out of business. Tim passed (RIP Tim you will be missed by many)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:22 AM »

40 ups and JT's are not the same thing.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:38 AM »
40 ups and JT's are not the same thing.

Sorry misread....thanks for the correction

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:53 AM »

Was Tim the owner of 40-up? Sorry to hear of this loss.  I know that the website is not filling orders and Paypal was unable to connect with the vendor, perhaps this is why.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2021, 09:01 AM »
Was Tim the owner of 40-up? Sorry to hear of this loss.  I know that the website is not filling orders and Paypal was unable to connect with the vendor, perhaps this is why.

I dont think any connection.  40 ups been around probably 50 years, no jack trap but for 10-12 bucks hard to beat.  I've seen a lot of very good fishermen catch a lot of nice fish over the years on 40 ups.  I started on wiggle poles and a ball of string and then graduated all the way up to $2.99 LaVerdiere specials! ;D

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2021, 11:23 AM »
I dont think any connection.  40 ups been around probably 50 years, no jack trap but for 10-12 bucks hard to beat.  I've seen a lot of very good fishermen catch a lot of nice fish over the years on 40 ups.  I started on wiggle poles and a ball of string and then graduated all the way up to $2.99 LaVerdiere specials! ;D
Tim Jackson was the Owner/Creator of Jack Traps. He sold the business a year or so ago to one of his Employees. He was still very much involved with it until he passed. One of the nicest guys you'd ever meet.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2021, 11:49 AM »
jack traps if you want the high quality/finish factor, 40ups with the big plastic spools fish just as well. that big spring on the heritage stye traps spooks certain fish and the release needs to be customized to release softer for certain fish. catch rates went way up once i started leaving heritage traps at home. really hope 40ups are still in business, i think the couple i have are maybe 45 years old, great traps. their site isnt working properly and hoping its a glitch

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2021, 01:14 PM »
About 40-ups:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=381384.0

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=381071.0

The 40-ups are good, but I feel like you can't beat the Jacks for quality.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2021, 02:35 PM »
thats too bad with the 40ups, best trap to set to give to a kid and not much need to upgrade unless you want to. anyways, i have my jack trap big bobs and first year trout jr's which they stopped making with the curved base support.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:50 PM »
Hi all, I'm looking to replace my current tip ups. They've begun to wear out and I figure if I'm going to replace them I may as well upgrade.

I really like the sounds of the 20" Jack Trap "trout" model.

Before I pull the trigger and spend the money I'd just like to hear from those who use Jack Traps - and them being from Maine I figured the Maine board would he the best place to ask: Are they really worth the price?

Welcome.

What are you using for your current traps? ...and are they so bad that you can not go thru them and make them NEW again or are you just looking for something NEW/Different.

I have many sets of Traps, Original Thompson, Moosehead, Heritage when they came stained, brass hardware and metal spools, HT, Allagash and even some Jacks. Some of my traps are 30+ years old and sill in Great shape. I am currently going thru my Original Thompson to give to my 4 year old Granddaughter, she wants a Pink/Purple Flag on hers.  :thumbsup:

If they were still in Business I would tell you to check out the Allagash trap. They were building Traps right back in the day, with Spar Varnish on the wood, Stainless Flag steal and no split ring to hook, they actually twisted the spring steel and it works much better.

My only complaint with Jacks is his flag steal, it rust then breaks. Even Original Thompson and Moosehead back in the day, was using stainless and the cost of the trap was a lot less.

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2021, 11:45 PM »
I have some Jacks that are very nice but I can set my Indian Hill traps with mittens on.   

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2021, 10:08 AM »
ahh.. the all orange Laverdiere traps with the tiny reels. lost a big togue on one of those when i was a kid. got to the trap and the reel was spooled and just barely still attached to the trap. when i tried to pick it up, my reel came off in the hole. for xmas that year i got 5 new 40 ups that i fished with for 30 more years untill the heritages came around. i still have a new set of 40 ups with the big yellow plastic reels. i use them when fishing warm water fish or sometimes early season brookies. still a great trap for the money.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 05, 2021, 10:29 AM »
I still use 40 ups and LOVE them.

That said I feel I may have been somewhat responsible for the death of the owner of Jack Traps?  I received one for Christmas.  I bet Tim said "**censored**, JDK is using a Jack Trap."
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2021, 10:50 AM »

I us these  plating clips from Mcmaster carr..they are 18-8 stainless... 1 5/16 long with a 1/2" reach and 5/16 grip, they cost $2.65 each and Ive used  them with 6" suckers and perch..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2021, 10:52 AM »
if smelt slayer is still round he can give you an ear full aout jack traps ;D
in god we trust

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2021, 01:24 PM »
if smelt slayer is still round he can give you an ear full aout jack traps ;D
Oh god. The good ol days lol. He called em “jack crap traps”  ;D ::)

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 05, 2021, 01:57 PM »
I don't know what was so good about it. I always got the feeling all his banter was not so much about the traps, but more of a personal attack on a fellow Mainer just trying to make a living.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 06, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Oh god. The good ol days lol. He called em “jack crap traps”  ;D ::)
...and GREAT for Fire Wood!!! :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.