Author Topic: Yellow Perch Smackdown!  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yellow Perch Smackdown!
« on: Jan 19, 2021, 01:55 PM »
It's been quite a while since I've fished Harvey Gap, lots of opportunities for a wide variety of species there but today I focused on Yellow Perch (I wanted a fish fry really bad).

Remy and I made a small grid to start the afternoon off and found some bouncing around 25-30FOW. Luckily a few hours in, a GIANT School of perch came into the area and didn't leave for the entire time we were there. Best thing was that we got a lot of eaters! Lots of stunted perch in Harvey so it was nice to get a lot of good ones. Over 40 caught between the two of us, biggest being a little over 9", most in the 6-7" range.

Tungsten jigs 1/32-1/16oz and micro lures worked off and on but the biggest slayer of the perch was the Swedish Pimple, Glow and Green colors.
Hope you guys enjoy the video!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Yellow Perch Smackdown!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2021, 02:16 PM »
Good job on those eaters!  last year there I caught 40- 5"ers and 1-13"er. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2021, 03:20 PM »
Looks like fun to me!  Havent fished harvey in 5 or 6 years may have to help in the herd thinning effort :tipup:
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2021, 03:46 PM »
Nice work! We have different definitions for "eaters", unless you're talking about tip-ups for pike!

I take my 4 and 2 year old out there every other weekend and they love it.

I'm just waiting for it to return to what it once was--if it ever will.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:24 PM »
Good job on those eaters!  last year there I caught 40- 5"ers and 1-13"er. ;D

Last year that was our story too, lots of 4-5"ers...It was a nice surprise to run into some bigger ones. Hoping next time we go back it's the same story! Heard the other reservoir down the road has been tough for people lately.

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:25 PM »
Looks like fun to me!  Havent fished harvey in 5 or 6 years may have to help in the herd thinning effort :tipup:

The gap is always welcoming ;) Hoping this wasn't a fluke of a day either and that the perch are getting bigger in there.

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:27 PM »
Nice work! We have different definitions for "eaters", unless you're talking about tip-ups for pike!

I take my 4 and 2 year old out there every other weekend and they love it.

I'm just waiting for it to return to what it once was--if it ever will.

Fair enough! The lake is no limit and there is a bad stunted perch situation in there, that's why I keep the smaller ones too in that lake...Normally I would prefer it to be at least 8-9" for filleting sake but they small ones make an amazing fish stock!! Ya next time we hit there we're going to probably go for some Pike too!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2021, 09:16 PM »
I wont go smaller than 7 but ill fillet the feces out of a 7.5" perch ;D ;D
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2021, 09:31 PM »
Forget the filet knife, do the 10 second perch method!

We were up there this past weekend as well.  So many perch and all smallish. We got a few good ones,  some decent gills,  and had a few flags pop but only one pike..... went down the hill to the other lake and it was a dead sea -- couple nice perch and an undersized eye.

Expensive trip -- lost my Gucci wallet somewhere between checking in at the hotel and walking my drunk buttocks to Sonics Saturday night.  Not a ton of cash but annoying that I had to freeze or cancel my poop, etc.  Mad at myself about it. Wifee bought me a wallet from Target just for fishing. 

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:41 AM »
Fair enough! The lake is no limit and there is a bad stunted perch situation in there, that's why I keep the smaller ones too in that lake...Normally I would prefer it to be at least 8-9" for filleting sake but they small ones make an amazing fish stock!! Ya next time we hit there we're going to probably go for some Pike too!

Its definitely good to get them out of there! I think you and I had a convo about that on another forum last year.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:53 AM »
I wont go smaller than 7 but ill fillet the excrement out of a 7.5" perch ;D ;D

😂😂

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:54 AM »
Its definitely good to get them out of there! I think you and I had a convo about that on another forum last year.

Probably, Joey Willey and 2 others gave me a lot of info about the Gap lakes...I'm sure you were one of them.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:10 AM »

Hell yeah Teach! way to go, sorry about the wallet. That really sucks. Glad I hit the "other" lake last month when we did. Got to ask, What's the 10 second perch method???

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:47 AM »
Them perch are small.  But fun anyway.  Nice video.  Kinda like where I go around here - Slayer-seed lake.  I need to go back - maybe later this week.  The 10 second perch clean method is here:

https://youtu.be/qrvMNWS539A

I don't like leaving the bones like that.  I prefer this fillet method for tiny perch.  Says 45 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtRAQ1xrLDQ

s

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2021, 02:48 PM »
  I need to go back - maybe later this week. 

Friday?  Cant go Thursday.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Friday?  Cant go Thursday.
Was thinking of going to the Big G but it is a long drive for marginal fishing.  Let me know if you are going the Jism route.  Might be some hiking involved.

s

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:09 PM »
The 10 second perch clean method is here:

https://youtu.be/qrvMNWS539A

I don't like leaving the bones like that.  I prefer this fillet method for tiny perch.  Says 45 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtRAQ1xrLDQ

s

Good to know! Thanks for sharing that!

Offline ducky540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:18 PM »
That sucks about the wallet. Looks and sounded like decent fishing.

We were up there this past weekend as well.  So many perch and all smallish. We got a few good ones,  some decent gills,  and had a few flags pop but only one pike..... went down the hill to the other lake and it was a dead sea -- couple nice perch and an undersized eye.

Expensive trip -- lost my Gucci wallet somewhere between checking in at the hotel and walking my drunk buttocks to Sonics Saturday night.  Not a ton of cash but annoying that I had to freeze or cancel my poop, etc.  Mad at myself about it. Wifee bought me a wallet from Target just for fishing. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.