Author Topic: Marcum 5 flasher  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Shauck

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum 5 flasher
« on: Jan 09, 2021, 09:38 PM »
Brand new to Colorado ice fishing and after doing some research and reading some post here it looks like one must have item is a fish finder.  The one that I think appears to be the easiest for beginners with some advance features is the marcum m5 lithium.  Open to hear any suggestions or recommendations. 

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Marcum 5 flasher
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2021, 10:18 PM »
If you like that one get it!  Anything made by Vexilar, Marcum, Bird or Garmin will be a quality product.  Vex and marcum tend to be more durable so if you break stuff get one of those.  If you dont like it, get another one  ;D
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Shauck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2021, 12:48 AM »
Have either of you used a deeper chirp? 

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:42 AM »

Not a fan.  Get a dedicated unit.  If your gonna spend 250-300 on the deeper chirp you might as well just get a marcum m1 or bird ice 35.  The deeper runs off a smart device LCD and the batteries on those devices dont hold up well in the cold.  Buy nice or buy twice.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:36 AM »

Cheap junk. Waste of time and money.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2021, 12:32 PM »
Vexilar FL18.
ICE FISHING..........  ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.
CO Native. C&R Esox Lucius

Offline Shauck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2021, 01:56 PM »
Thank you all saved me from wasting money on the deeper.  Now just deciding between the marcum and vex. 

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2021, 02:46 PM »
I think the marcum m5 lithium is a good choice.  I’m assuming it has an external lithium battery that could be changed if needed.  Don’t get the lithium shuttle that has an integrated battery.  I had problems with it when I bought an lx7.  My lx5 has been going strong for many many years.  I finally had to replace the transducer this weekend from years of abuse.  Lesson learned when you do get it is to not be too hard on it, eg stress on the cable/ducer connection or bang up the bottom of the ducer.  You don’t need to baby it though.

You are correct on prioritizing a flasher.  I’m surprised how many guys I see with a hut and big gas auger but no flasher.  Not sure what else you have but this group can help you prioritize with cost effective gear.  I’m also not sure what kind of charger marcum supplies these days, but that might be something you want to upgrade to extend battery life.

Offline Shauck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:00 PM »
This is the one that seems to make the most sense from all the research and YouTube videos but open to other suggestions for sure.  It’s not a small investment lol
https://marcumtech.com/product/m-5li/#1596580854772-7f6ac36f-1d50

MARCUM M5LI LITHIUM COMBO FLASHER SYSTEM

After being out to 11 mile a few times it made sense the most important thing to buy first was a fish finder lol.  I do have a lithium auger.  Next purchase was going to be fish finder and then shelter.  For shelter was looking at the Eskimo 949i.  Most of the time will only be two people fishing but on occasion will have the wife which will make three.  Any suggestions on gear or even good sites will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Avianarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:06 PM »
I’ve had a marcum for the past three years and love it. Friends have vexilars and hummingbirds and like those too. It seems like all the mid range flashers are similar and well made.  My battery is getting sketchy but that’s an easy fix.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:08 PM »
This is the one that seems to make the most sense from all the research and YouTube videos but open to other suggestions for sure.  It’s not a small investment lol
https://marcumtech.com/product/m-5li/#1596580854772-7f6ac36f-1d50

MARCUM M5LI LITHIUM COMBO FLASHER SYSTEM

After being out to 11 mile a few times it made sense the most important thing to buy first was a fish finder lol.  I do have a lithium auger.  Next purchase was going to be fish finder and then shelter.  For shelter was looking at the Eskimo 949i.  Most of the time will only be two people fishing but on occasion will have the wife which will make three.  Any suggestions on gear or even good sites will be greatly appreciated.

Don’t get the shuttle.  Get this one with external battery:  https://marcumtech.com/product/m5l/

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2021, 05:25 PM »
Flashers are like women, everyones got a preference  ;D  Blonde, Brunette, Red-head, or jet-black. Vex, Marcum, bird, or garmin. Don't over think it and get whatever fits your budget. Bottom line is a flasher will help you catch more fish, & it's definitely a "must" item.

Offline Lakenater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:11 PM »
Well said. I lile blonds so I have a LX5.  ;D

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:26 PM »
I have the older version of the marcum m5. It works great for me. I have had it many years and has been very reliable. The zoom feature is great. You won't regret buying a marcum.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:09 PM »
My 2010 LX-5 still working fine.

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.