Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 175712 times)

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #120 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:17 PM »
do the ICE45 and 55 have zoom features - they don't say on the Humminbird website (it's not a very informative site anyway)
2X Can adjust to see any part of the water column.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #121 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:44 AM »
well - I pulled the trigger over the weekend and got me a Marcum LX-3tc . Had some Cabelas bucks to use up so I bit the bullet. Can't wait for ice now so I can actually write a real review for ya'll instead of everyone just saying how better theirs are than someone elses.
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Marcum...I've had no problems with mine and would stand by it any day on the ice
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #123 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:47 AM »
Of course you know you must have been a user of one of the other systems in order to do a good comparison NJ  ;)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #124 on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:02 PM »
not gonna compare them - just write about the one I have.
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #125 on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Waiting to read your review NJ. I have been wanting to buy another for a year or two now and have been leaning towards that manufacturer. But Honest reviews, in addition to real life comparisons, and real time use are all going to be helpful.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:30 PM »
I like my Vexilar but for the money you're spending a Marcum LX3-TC will give you the best bang for your buck.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:33 PM »
I returned my Vex and bought an Ice55 that I love...but THAT means NOTHING!  You see, I bought a low-end Vex and returned it for the top-of-the-line flasher; not fair to compare.  What I would recommend is checking out the Humminbird website and look at their NEW ice fishing series.  Their graph/flashers seem like some really good stuff for the price.  That being said, don't discount Vexilar either, they are THE KING, and for good reason.  Pick a few in your price range, compare the features that MATTER TO YOU.  Forget about the silly stuff, like WATTAGE....

Jim

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #128 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:42 PM »
$400 is a lot of coin and I understand you wanting to get the best for your money...I was there last year!  They all work, and work very well!!!!  Whatever YOU choose, will work great for you, I promise!  Seriously, you can close your eyes, pick one, and be just as happy as if you spent a month doing research.  But whatever you do, get one, the quicker the better....  Hell, if you don't have a gas auger yet, I would opt for buying the cheapest flasher I could find, used included, and put away the rest of the money to save for a gas auger!  Runnin' and gunnin' with a gas auger and a flasher will bring you a ton more fish. ;)

jim

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:37 AM »
They all work well but i'd say look into the marcum... The lines are so much more clear and I have a LX5 that i love. The only difference between the lx5 and lx3-tc is that the lx5 is a dual beam and the lx3 isnt. Not a major issue but something to consider.

The marcum has a movable zoom window unlike the vex. I've talked to guys that have bought the humminbird and been happy and others that hated it. So it goes....

Marcum really stands behind their product and are great to deal with if something ever happens to it.

It almosts seems like watching a HD tv vs. an old standard tube tv compared to a vex...

Ok i'm done ranting, i just really love my marcum...

Good luck and let us know what you decide... ;D

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:43 AM »
I have a FL20, and I love it.  Redrockstore has an ice 45 right now for under 300 after rebate.  Great deal.

Offline Icestealth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:02 PM »
I reviewed all of you posts. I looked at the specs. I looked at my budget. I talked to my friends. I looked at the boxes at Fleet Farm. I bought the Marcum LX3-TC. Zoom and price made the difference for me. 2 outings so far with it. I have out-fished all of my friends 2 to 1. I think zoom made the difference. ;D

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #132 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:08 PM »
I reviewed all of you posts. I looked at the specs. I looked at my budget. I talked to my friends. I looked at the boxes at Fleet Farm. I bought the Marcum LX3-TC. Zoom and price made the difference for me. 2 outings so far with it. I have out-fished all of my friends 2 to 1. I think zoom made the difference. ;D
Excellent ..... The LX3 has more then enough for just the right amount of money.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Dec 25, 2010, 12:59 PM »
It almosts seems like watching a HD tv vs. an old standard tube tv compared to a vex...

This fellow obviously has not fished with an FL-22 HD, that's OK though. Marcum guys like to compare their high end units to a low end Vex :cookoo:. I used to have Marcum tunnel vision as well but decided to think for myself and bought the best unit out there, the FL-22 HD  :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Dec 25, 2010, 05:17 PM »
I would not say low end vex, just more expensive. I got my lx3 for $325.00 at the ice show. Love it .I have used a vex too love it. The price was right for me. I think they are all good. I have been using a fish buddy for years. What do I know ::)
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline Kito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:05 PM »
I have a FL20, and I love it.  Redrockstore has an ice 45 right now for under 300 after rebate.  Great deal.

I think you mean the ICE 35??  I cant find a Ice 45 for under $399.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:16 PM »
This fellow obviously has not fished with an FL-22 HD, that's OK though. Marcum guys like to compare their high end units to a low end Vex :cookoo:. I used to have Marcum tunnel vision as well but decided to think for myself and bought the best unit out there, the FL-22 HD  :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas!!!!!

You also stated that the 22 compares to a LX-5, to quote you "Its Vexilars best unit and competes with the LX-5".  Maybe they will but that will be the only Vex to come close to matching, the rest match up with Marcums entry level VX-1P

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #137 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:52 AM »
Yea, I didn't know that Marcum had a "low end" flasher comparitively speaking. They don't have 5 units with 3 diffent packs.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #138 on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:45 AM »
Yea, I didn't know that Marcum had a "low end" flasher comparitively speaking. They don't have 5 units with 3 diffent packs.

They dont. They are all high end at a low end price. I'd take the marcum 2.15" target sep over vex's 2.5" any day of the week. Feature wise, the vx-1P ($299) lines up almost perfectly with the vex fl18 ($399). The marcum lx-3tc ($399) is the same as the fl20 ($499). And the lx-5 ($499) is just about the same as the fl22hd ($599).

All the marcums come with a soft pack, $50 extra for vex (if you can find one). Feature wise, if you buy a vexilar you are paying $100 for a name.

Vexilar's number one sales pitch is that they were the first to make an ice unit, first to make an ice transducer, and the longest standing company of ice electronics.. yeah, well thats all good.. but I think its time to get with the ages and put out a feature rich flasher at an economy friendly price.

I put it in the same category as buying a GMC truck over a Chevy. Same features, less price.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Dec 27, 2010, 01:57 PM »
I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a bird ice 45.  I took it out for a couple hours in the afternoon and It worked awesome!!  The price is what got me.  $365 in the store with an after christmas sale of $75 off.  That made it $295!  Even better I get another $45 rebate from humminbird.  Grand total was $250.  I wasnt going to be very worried about what brand I got for that price!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #140 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Wow!  Fantastic price!  You got a great deal on that 45!  Keep us posted on what you think of it.  Bird is the "newest" to the flasher game and I think there are guys out there who want to wait and see how they do. 

In terms of brand, I think some of this depends on where you live.  Here in MN, I would guess that 75% or more of guys on the ice are using Vexilar units.  You see that on Craigslist too.  You'll see a 5 year old FL-18 going for $400 and yet you'll see a Marcum LX-3 going for $175.  Just saw one the other day.  You'll see guys posting "Vexilar wanted" ads but you won't see that for Marcum.  Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with Marcum.  I bought a VX-1 for $99 two years ago.  I use it as an extra for the kids or if someone doesn't have a flasher.  Works great.  I did own an LX-5 up until last year but I ended up selling it.  It had some features I really liked but I didn't feel I was getting as clear a reading as with my Vex.  Just a personal preference I guess. 

Same thing with augers.  For most guys here, if you said you have a "Nils" auger, they are going to look at you sideways.  I would guess that if you asked 10 ice fisherman here what a "Nils" is, probably half of them would have no idea.  This is Jiffy or Strikemaster country.  Go to NY, Maine or Connecticut and it is a different story.  I guess it is just what you grew up with and what your dad used or your uncle or all of your fishing buddies.  I don't think these companies would survive unless they made a decent product...just comes down to what you are familiar with. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:43 AM »
They dont. They are all high end at a low end price. I'd take the marcum 2.15" target sep over vex's 2.5" any day of the week. Feature wise, the vx-1P ($299) lines up almost perfectly with the vex fl18 ($399). The marcum lx-3tc ($399) is the same as the fl20 ($499). And the lx-5 ($499) is just about the same as the fl22hd ($599).

All the marcums come with a soft pack, $50 extra for vex (if you can find one). Feature wise, if you buy a vexilar you are paying $100 for a name.

Vexilar's number one sales pitch is that they were the first to make an ice unit, first to make an ice transducer, and the longest standing company of ice electronics.. yeah, well thats all good.. but I think its time to get with the ages and put out a feature rich flasher at an economy friendly price.

I put it in the same category as buying a GMC truck over a Chevy. Same features, less price.

Where is Marcums Tri-Beam? Where is Marcum's flat face viewing area and nightmode? The FL-22 HD has this over the LX-5 and only costs $50 more with the pro pack. Id spend $50 alone on the Tri-beam after using it this season.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #142 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Why is the FL-22 the best, cause' it costs the most? If it works in 10 foot increments and only has bottom zoom where the Marcum can move a 5 foot segment anywhere where is the advantage? Why does it still need a low power mode? Nightmode? Yea, cause flashers are blinding ......... I'd get an Lowrance X67 for half the price of a 22.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Not a fan of the flatscreen, I'll give you the night mode, as far as tri beam what real benifit is a 12 over a 9 really??  In 6-8' maybe a foot tops??  Whers Vex's charging system like Marcums, 3 color disply,the sharp fine lines??? Vex maybe finaly has a unit in the same class as the LX-5 but not better, definately isnt worth another $50-$200 depending on what Vex pack you get or what sale you catch on a LX.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #144 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:13 PM »
 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:flex:    Chevy  ;D    :flex:

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #145 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:56 PM »
Chevy= Marcum
Ford=Vex
Dodge=HB
Yota= ummmmmmmmm 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:55 AM »
Why is the FL-22 the best, cause' it costs the most? If it works in 10 foot increments and only has bottom zoom where the Marcum can move a 5 foot segment anywhere where is the advantage? Why does it still need a low power mode? Nightmode? Yea, cause flashers are blinding ......... I'd get an Lowrance X67 for half the price of a 22.

FL-22 HD is the best because of all its options and performance not because of its price. You've never used one, how do you know...cause you read it on the interweb?? I myself have used the LX-3 and LX-5 alot in the past few years and they both fall short of the FL-22. Im not a Marcum fanboy like yourself but will buy Marcum products when they return to the top of the pile..till then you can have em.  ;D Happy Ukrainian Christmas!!

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #147 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:08 AM »
esox magnum, Ford has been the best selling truck for the last 34 years (or something like that). vex all the way. Good fishing to all.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Yep Fords best selling Chevys longest lasting......Fords best selling due to Ford owners replacing theirs more often........    ;D

Offline sfw1960

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A color LCD just for me, 4KW for your eyes only!
« Reply #149 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Is this a 4000 watt "flasher"??

>:D  >:D  >:D

:roflmao:
HB Helix Chirp DI GPS G2/XI 9 1521 on !CE sure is n!CE - Lose the Vex and get 4 KiloWatts of Vex-blinding 'Bird power, and "see ALL of what's down there"   >:D

Bringer OF the 'Bird ~ Robert

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.