Author Topic: Well....finally got to use a K Drill...  (Read 567 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Well....finally got to use a K Drill...
« on: Dec 15, 2019, 11:03 PM »
So I finally got to use my $125 8in k drill today. The blades were sharp on it.

It cut holes fine with my old 725in Milwaukee drill, I don't have the clam plate adaptor for it yet. The auger does a nice job cutting.

It kinda suprised me just how fine the ice shavings were from the k drill....actually seemed like the ice shavings were finer then my old jiffy chipper, nils, lazer, or mora augers. The things I liked about the auger. 1. It had a center point, and holes drilled exactly where you wanted them. 2. With the cutting head it cut very smooth, and broke through with no issues....never jerked or hung up at all.

I don't have anything bad to say about the auger, however it isn't anything super special. I definatley would not pay $225 for the auger, with the other options we have on the market for less. It was a very smooth, even cutting no jerk at break through unit.

So Far with all the augers I've used on my drill I'd rank them in this order if one wasn't considering money/cost.

1st. Nils with a power point cutting head. Just cuts so even, smooth,and no jerking or hang ups at break through.

2nd. K drill while it's a little slower then the other augers, the smooth even no hang up or jerking at break through was nice.

3rd. Mora/flat blade shavers (have not tried the new center point pistol yet) fairly fast, smooth cutting, but can skate a bit on top before cutting & can hang up sometimes when breaking through.

4. Lazer styles....rated last due to issues I've had with them. Fast cutting, but always jerk when breaking through, and can hang up on the ice when it breaks through.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Well....finally got to use a K Drill...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2019, 05:44 AM »
That's great to hear   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:I have the K-Drill 8in ..it does make some snow cones ..hence the reason to clear out the hole ..I just got the HT E-Drill 8in ..cut some holes on 5in of ice ..that center point and ring are a vast improvement over an 8in Mora w/o a centerpoint and ring...didn't drill that many holes but thus far the E-Drill is a very viable option in the cordless game. Love my K-Drill ..and sure to love my E-Drill ..which will be a tad faster .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.