Author Topic: transducer  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: transducer
« Reply #30 on: Dec 01, 2019, 03:27 PM »
So help me out here HD. A suppression cable will basically convert my 19* to a 12*??? I used one several years ago because I thought it reduced clutter when in shallow water or near heavy structure. I didn't really notice much difference so I took it off. Enlighten me sir.

The suppresion cable is something you put on a unit that doesn't have an LP mode. For instance an FL8SE does not have an LP mode so you get the suppresion cable so you can put and FL8SE into LP mode for shallow water.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 01, 2019, 03:33 PM »
I like the Pro View, I think the biggest mistake people make is not using Low Power in water less than 20 feet. It took me a while to figure it out, low power and turn up the gain to get a nice thin line reading.

LP mode is not a secret. There was no "fine" line with the pro view transducer I used. It just had huge blobs in shallow water regaurdless of the mode. That and it took 5min to try and get a decent screen to fish hole jumping. If you fished alone, and fished deep water a guy might like it.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:01 PM »
fine lines and a pro view are easy

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:09 PM »

I've never had a problem either, though water here only ranges from 6ft to around 40ft deep. I go low power under 20ft, never had to mess with settings for more than a few seconds.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #34 on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Ive posted fine lines with proview in less than 10ft with pics.some guys dont like it and some do but to scare guys away from even trying it is ridiculous.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:26 PM »
i had an old fl8 slt was prob 18 or 20 years old and tried the s cable on it and for some reason saw no difference on it so i thought it didn't work.  bought a new fl8 se 2 winters ago and again tried the s cable again and to my surprise it really worked well.  was able to really fine tune in water in 10 feet and less and not have the big blob anymore.  bought a fl22hd a few years ago and really love it too and just ordered a flx20 as it has the lp setting in zoom mode.  will be a game changer where i like to fish.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #36 on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:30 PM »
i had an old fl8 slt was prob 18 or 20 years old and tried the s cable on it and for some reason saw no difference on it so i thought it didn't work.  bought a new fl8 se 2 winters ago and again tried the s cable again and to my surprise it really worked well.  was able to really fine tune in water in 10 feet and less and not have the big blob anymore.  bought a fl22hd a few years ago and really love it too and just ordered a flx20 as it has the lp setting in zoom mode.  will be a game changer where i like to fish.

That may have been my problem.  I had the SLT and s cable made no difference.  Loved that unit though. Wonder why they quit making it?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:32 PM »
I have the FL18, when I got it a I traded in the transducer for a 19 deg so we could share a flasher. Has worked over the years but I want to get a narrow beam as a fish solo more. I am looking at the 9 deg pro view also with my FL18.

Looks like I need to do more research

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Dec 01, 2019, 04:39 PM »
My s cable on my fl8se worked great and could run gain over half way up.half way up with no s cable is total huge blob mode.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2019, 05:14 PM »
I have the FL18, when I got it a I traded in the transducer for a 19 deg so we could share a flasher. Has worked over the years but I want to get a narrow beam as a fish solo more. I am looking at the 9 deg pro view also with my FL18.

Looks like I need to do more research

I have the 19* on my 8 and just ordered the 12*. Kind of a middle of the road. I don't fish much over 40' so should work just fine. Kind of a rule of thumb...the deeper you fish,  the less degree of angle needed. Jmo.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Called Vexilar today, going to get the 12 - was the original I had when bought

also going to order the arm to hold the cable similar to the Marcum

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Dec 02, 2019, 08:02 PM »
Called Vexilar today, going to get the 12 - was the original I had when bought

also going to order the arm to hold the cable similar to the Marcum

Maybe it ain't too late to cancel. Just ordered my 12* from Reeds for $80.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:49 PM »
thanks, bought a refurbished one - hope it works

more excited about the cable holder - see how it works

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2019, 05:41 AM »
I agree, it’s not the locator that matters it’s how you use it.🤪

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:11 AM »
thanks, bought a refurbished one - hope it works

more excited about the cable holder - see how it works

If the cable holder doesn't work, try an eye bolt. My Genz pack actually came with one. Works good.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:08 AM »
the S cable worked better on the SE than the SLT.  We had both.  But it was pretty frustrating that it was even necessary.  We alternated between deep and shallow water pretty regularly and takign it on and off was a pain.

There is a guy on this board I believe who runs 2 supression cables and the proview and seems to have decent success with that set up which is pretty ridiculous to be even necessary. 

our proview use on the river backwaters and farm ponds unsupressed was less than ideal. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.