Author Topic: 4 or 5 inch auger  (Read 1964 times)

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
4 or 5 inch auger
« on: Dec 22, 2016, 03:51 PM »
Anyone got a 4 or 5 inch auger they're not using and want to dump?  I'd like to try a smaller auger with my Milwaukee drill set up opposed to my 8".  Just not sure I'll like it so really hate to go spend 100 bucks on a new one.

Thanks
Doing it better than I did it yesterday.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 4 or 5 inch auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2016, 04:00 PM »
I believe you'll find the 6" diameter to be more common. I may even have one sitting around in the bone pile. Why is you think your Milwaukee won't spin the 8"? What kind is it?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2016, 04:12 PM »
I'd be open to 6".  I was just thinking if I'm going to go smaller than go a lot smaller.  My 18 Fuel ran the 8" last yr but was only good for a hand full of holes. And it's not like I'm catching anything that needs a 8" hole😔 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2016, 05:10 PM »
Im running the M18 FUEL with a 6" Mora. I bet I could cut a 100 holes in local ice-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2016, 05:58 PM »
I just got the Fuel this year so not a large sample to draw a conclusion but last week I went to the Mile and punched 34 holes with Nils 6 on it.  3-4 of ice so not a ton. When I got home and dropped the battery on the charger it went straight to green.  Still so close to fully charged it didn't blink.  Remarkable.  I would consider a 6 unless money is no object and you can afford as much gear as I'd like.  You can still get most all Walleye, Pike, Catfish or Macs thru a 6 just in case you hook into one. The amount of surface area drilled drops by nearly half (44%) just downsizing from the 8 to the 6 so you should notice good improvement in productivity. 

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2016, 07:59 PM »
The Fuel only got me on average 8-10 holes in 15-20in ice.  Part of the reason I was thinking 4/5" is that it seems like by the time my 8in auger wallers a hole it's closer to 10".  So I was thinking the 5" might make closer to a 6-7" hole.  But if you're getting 100 holes with 6" maybe I'll go with that.  Don't have the cash to buy a 6 then not get the results needed and have to buy another...
Seems like all that shows up on Craigslist is 8" is why I thought I'd post it here.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:13 PM »
The Fuel only got me on average 8-10 holes in 15-20in ice.  Part of the reason I was thinking 4/5" is that it seems like by the time my 8in auger wallers a hole it's closer to 10".  So I was thinking the 5" might make closer to a 6-7" hole.  But if you're getting 100 holes with 6" maybe I'll go with that.  Don't have the cash to buy a 6 then not get the results needed and have to buy another...
Seems like all that shows up on Craigslist is 8" is why I thought I'd post it here.
.        Which model drill do u have?  I have a 2604-22 and on one 4 ah battery I can get 30-35 holes thru 20" of ice a couple years ago!!   Over 600" on one battery!!!    That's with a 6" lazer

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:21 PM »
I think I have a 6" Lazer out at the ranch. If so, I'll make you a brother-in-law deal to get it back in action. Give me a couple of days to locate it and I'll PM you.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2016, 09:14 PM »
I use a 6" and love it.  Pulled pike out of the hole that were 37" and 39" so I think it does just fine for what we have around these parts.  Lot lighter to lug around for sure!  My buddy has a 10" gas auger, and that thing gets heavy after a day of lugging / drilling.  Believe I'll keep my 6" for a long time!
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2016, 09:41 PM »
I think I have a 6" Lazer out at the ranch. If so, I'll make you a brother-in-law deal to get it back in action. Give me a couple of days to locate it and I'll PM you.

Sounds good brother. I just hope you like your brother n law better than I like mine....

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2016, 09:43 PM »
.        Which model drill do u have?  I have a 2604-22 and on one 4 ah battery I can get 30-35 holes thru 20" of ice a couple years ago!!   Over 600" on one battery!!!    That's with a 6" lazer

Must be the difference between 6" and 8" .  I have a 5ah and a 2ah battery.  I seen they have a monster 9ah.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Must be the difference between 6" and 8" .  I have a 5ah and a 2ah battery.  I seen they have a monster 9ah.
.        See that $169

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2016, 05:48 AM »
what auger you spinning ?  Sounds like it not right to start with if your getting wobbled 10" hole.
Bud

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2016, 03:12 PM »
It's a mora I bought from BP

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2016, 06:25 PM »
Sent you a PM. I had that 6" auger you're looking for.
                                                               Stinky

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:06 PM »
Hi stinky. I sent you one back.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:32 PM »
I got the 2704-22 and just bought the nils 8" it arrives Saturday.  I'm really looking forward to trying it out.  Lugging around the 10" Jiffy is getting old (or maybe I am).
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline A10FLYR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2016, 07:14 PM »
what auger you spinning ?  Sounds like it not right to start with if your getting wobbled 10" hole.

We had that problem just a few weeks back. Auger drilled a perfect hole one weekend and the next it wobbled so bad it almost got my buddy's legs!! Only thing I could find was one blade appeared to be bent up 1/8" like maybe it was set down too hard. I got both blades close and it seems to have helped heaps so far! We'll know more the next time we go up. At least it did OK in some soft front range ice. Good clear hard ice might make a difference.
Dean

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2016, 08:56 PM »
I don't think that is my problem as I bought it new because I suspected my old one was tweaked. So this one has been treated like it was made of glass.  My old one I bought used wobbled a hole as well but the reason I replaced it was it just didn't bite the ice.   This one bites better and cuts faster but does make a sloppy hole. I guess I figured this was status quo.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.