Author Topic: Granby on foot...  (Read 2807 times)

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
Granby on foot...
« on: Nov 19, 2015, 04:40 PM »
I want to attempt fishing for some lakers this yr but I have no atv or sled.  My question is can a guy successfully fish Granby targeting laker without transportation and a gas auger?  It seems all I read on lakers involves running all over a lake drilling 100+ holes a day.  Thanks for the help.  If anyone wants to share an inside tip feel free to pm me.  Also I'd be up for tagging along with someone if you'd have me, show me the big lake ropes.

Thanks
Doing it better than I did it yesterday.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: Granby on foot...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Hey there - yes, if you have feet, you can fish Granby.  I don't have a snow machine and I've fished it.  At the time, I didn't have a power auger either, so you don't need one.  Go early in the season before the ice is 18" thick, though.  Good luck!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2015, 09:29 PM »
Yes you can do it but if you make it a regular fishing spot I bet you'll start saving up for a snowmobile.  Unless you fish in the same area all day plan on plenty of walking.  You can rent a snowmobile up there too.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:04 AM »
It's a pain in the ass but prior to my "motorized mobility" I've found scrambling down the west end of Dike 3 can put a guy on fish (some good ones too).  Same place is good for bank fishing shortly after ice off btw. Conceivably you could fish amongst "the group" and re punch holes drilled by the more fortunate folks earlier in the day.  I would expand your tool kit in this order if you want to find lakers. This maturation process can take years.

Buy a Fishnmap company map of granby...look at Dike 3 area. That or maybe dl the $10 navionics app if you roll with a smartphone.   Don't forget to pay the Feds on the way in.

Get a jet sled or comparable and rig up a Smitty.

Get some white and chartreuse tubes tipped with sucker meat...to start.

Add some type of flasher or fish Finder when you can.  Total game changer.  I have several.  My wife says too many.  Pm me if you want an archaic one for $35.

Pack a few granola bars and 3 shots of Jaeger - to fortify you for the climb off the ice with all your stuff in tow.  Sometimes easy...sometimes not.

Book a day with Bernie. 

Buy two snow machines and a trailer.  You should have two cuz after Jan 15 one will usually get stuck in slush on AB and the other can pull it out...maybe.

Move to Grand County and give up.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2015, 05:39 AM »
Back in the 90's a friend of mine fished it all the time on foot. He also used a spoon auger and he ended up catching a 37 1/2" and a 38" Lakers. I have pictures of them somewhere here. I think it is on my backup hard drive.
<===Lefty===

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Baetis - Hilarious reply!

I don't have a power sled and ice Granby all the time. I launch from Sunset boat launch mostly and walk my ass off if the snow's not too deep. But you don't really need to go far from shore to get into fish anyway. I sometimes enjoy the leg work and getting out to check humps. I've also launched from dike 3, AB, and near the power station and landed many macks.

Having a smitty sled, warm yet hikable boots, plenty of food, water, & booze (ganja) and friends helps. Still looking for that fish over 25" from there so most times I settle with catching a few 17-20" eaters
Selective harvest works!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2015, 01:49 PM »
Certainly a lot of guys do it Ripper but the few times I've walked out over on that side I just rarely find the fish.  I'm not a good fisherman btw.  I've had more success in AB, D3, Deer Island, and Columbine Inlet side over the years so that's where I've spent most of my time but since I traded sleds for atv I'm mostly out of Stillwater or Sunset now.  I would only venture all the way across if conditions are perfect with not too much snow or slush.  It would be good to learn that area better.  Granby is such a love/hate thing for me.  Always has been.  100 fish one day then skunk the next week out. 

Have a great season up there!

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2015, 10:53 PM »
Thanks for the insight.  I have an extra fish finder rigged in a ammo can for canoeing that I used for ice fishing as well last yr.  I've read up on lakers so just need to go.  I really want a quad for hunting but it would be good for ice fishing too.  How long do you stay on a hole for lakers?  From what I understand they roam about so if I'm sweating every hole out am I better off waiting for them to show? 

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2015, 11:58 PM »
No opinion I have is remotely accurate but it is based on my experiences...
Ice fishing is always more productive if you're mobile.  I Believe this to be a fundamental principal anywhere and anytime. Granby is a good sized puddle of water.  Why I like D3 area is because you can fish many productive depth scenarios with little horizontal movement ie walkin. 15 mins w/o marking a fish I am gone...but may circle back.  It might only be 15-20 feet away but I'm punching a new hole.  If your marking fish switch up the offering.  Always watch for suspended too.   You ask the right questions...you will be fine.  Just get wet and fish to fish.  That's all I got. Good luck 59. 

Offline Granbysbia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2015, 08:54 PM »
If water level is high like last year, makes it a  of a lot easier to walk off the lake

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:49 AM »
D3 is a royal pain even if the water is high. The shore is very steep and rocky there. Or you have to go the long way through the trees and walk out for a while.

I've landed just as many or more macks straight out from the Sunset boat launch in 50 fow. So now for me, it's about quicker, easier access since I do just as well in the bays off D1 near the entrance. I really think macks are almost everywhere in that lake since I've landed em most every time I go out.

It is all about moving if you're not marking fish anywhere in the water column or getting bites. I allow around 30 minutes to see if fish are moving in the area I drilled, then I move on.
Selective harvest works!

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2015, 12:47 PM »
There's no doubt that walking any big lake can be a challenge especially when trying to find the right area that are hot for lakers that day.  While some of the best spots on Granby for big macks would take you most of the day to walk, as many of the guys have mentioned, there is close in fishing to be found such as Arapahoe Bay and off the dikes.  And yes climbing up and down the embankments can be a challenge without a snowmobile.

But if alone, travel light.  Try backing with a collapsible auger or buy a one man pop-up. Try to keep your entire load under 35 pounds and you'll be more likely to move around with ease until you find a good spot.  Another option is to fish Grand Lake that also has some monster lakers and is much deeper than Granby meaning deep drop offs are close to shore.

Remember, having powersled might seem like the only way to go but if the water drops due to release after a cap, a foot of slush and water is not uncommon on the ice.  Nothing worst that a stuck snowmobile.  I have also seen them go through the ice, fortunately with no hardship other than a submarine sled.  Early ice is another but uniform in thickness so if you do go on a snowmobile, avoid steam areas as these are underwater springs that have warmer water.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, try renting a snowmobile in the town of Grand Lake.  They are pricy but if you really want to see what advantage it gives you...rent before you buy.  That also goes for women I am told ;D

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2015, 05:36 AM »
Good one Shawn, now you tell me LOL.
Bud

Offline Auger303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Granby on foot is very doable. Get the fishing map as stated and find walkable spots.

I usually have a big group I go with in early January...We all have machines. Last year was a late ice up and the first time in years we had to walk. First day off D3 landed us a 38" and various smaller fish. Day two we took the hike out near Elephant Island. Marked way more than we caught. Day 3 went back out to Elephant and just couldn't get them to bite so we walked inshore to find some bows or browns. Low and behold we found the feeding lakers in 15 FOW 50 yards from shore. We lost a few nice ones at the hole and caught some smaller ones... I wish I would have walked 50 yards out all 3 days!  ;D

Sometimes the hike out of D3 can be worth it.

Sometimes the views on a long walk can be great.

Sometimes people should just leave their machines at home.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2015, 04:32 PM »
There ya go!  The definitive answer!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2015, 10:07 AM »
 :o Looks like a helluva chore they made for themselves. Should've been going faster over that re-froze shove. Those long lines that form all the way across the ice always make me nervous.

Just walk, take in the views, and get your exercise. I still need to walk out to elephant island. Maybe this is the season!
Selective harvest works!

Offline 59Cummins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2015, 02:24 PM »
Oh man that has to be a sinking feeling ;D

Do any of the Colorado lakes have a recovery law in place?  Just curious,  I don't have anything to sink besides me...
I surveyed some waters before that had such rules and associated fines.  It ain't cheap by the time you add up the cost of the machine, recovery divers and boat, and fines.  Put a guy in the poor house!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2015, 02:28 PM »

Do any of the Colorado lakes have a recovery law in place?  Just curious,  I don't have anything to sink besides me...
I surveyed some waters before that had such rules and associated fines.  It ain't cheap by the time you add up the cost of the machine, recovery divers and boat, and fines.  Put a guy in the poor house!

Anyone who owns toys knows this:

Ya gotta pay to play!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Auger303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2015, 04:52 PM »

I'm not sure.

Lucky for these guys, a few of my buddies were there to help pull it out.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:12 AM »
There are better places to go for chasing lakers on foot...Granby wouldn't be my first choice.   @)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:39 AM »
BBM - We need to try to make another fishing day happen this season at one of those other lake trout lakes....you know the one  ;D
Selective harvest works!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:47 AM »
BBM - We need to try to make another fishing day happen this season at one of those other lake trout lakes....you know the one  ;D

Agreed --- sounds good 
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.