Author Topic: Slimers at DeWeese  (Read 769 times)

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Slimers at DeWeese
« on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Took my son and his wife to DeWeese for her first ice fishing experience. The roads around the lake are rutted and muddy, but not too bad. We Fished near the boat ramp on the east side. Measured the ice 30 yards out from the ramp and it was 11" of clear ice with about an inch of snow on top. The water is a little murky, we could only see the jigs down to about 12 feet. We had nonstop action on the stockers from 7 am to about 11 am when the wind picked up. The fish were pretty small but it was perfect to hold the attention of someone who has never ice fished before. It's tough to match for the scenery as well. In the morning the clouds lifted to reveal the snow covered Sangre's.  Great to live in Colorado.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Slimers at DeWeese
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I've never fished DeWeese but have worked and hunted around Westcliffe. Great view of the Sangre's down there.

Offline elkdeerbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2013, 03:34 PM »
I've fished DeWeese twice in the summer but never in the winter.

Offline firefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:23 AM »
I have fished Deweese twice this winter, Have been hitting lots of slimmer. Have found bigger trout in deeper water. We have been getting into the 3 and 4 pound range in 20-25 feet of water. Both days I have been up it has been non stop with the slimmers and big fish seem to be a little slower but still fairly active.   I have seen all kinds of small mouth on the north side of the damn with the camera but have been unable to entice a bite.  Still looking for those  tiger muskies!

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:32 AM »
Thanks for the tip Firefisherman. Maybe we will try a little deeper next time. Catching those smallies through the ice is a blast. That or a tiger is what we were hoping for, but the stockers at least kept her catching fish. It was also nice to be the only ones on the lake for a while.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.