Author Topic: Who turned you on to ice fishing  (Read 2723 times)

Offline fishaholic1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rocks
Who turned you on to ice fishing
« on: Oct 21, 2004, 09:10 AM »
For me ,it was one of my buddies.Think I was about 22,been hooked ever since.Caught alot of gills that day.We stayed into the evening,and caught some crappie. I will never forget!Gonna turn my 7 year old on to it this season.He already hooked on open water.
Ice Fishin Rock's!

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
Re: Who turned you on to ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2004, 09:33 AM »
Start them young, I'd say.  When I was about 9 (1953) we lived in Calgary, and my dad took bro and me out to Chestermere Lake east of the city for some ice fishing.  I can't remember if we chopped a hole, or found some open ones, but that day we caught a 4-gallon metal bucket full of nice sized perch.  I can still remember them kicking in the pail at home.  I can also remember the cleaning, because that was the day I learned how to fillet a fish! :)  Since then, I've taught both my boys from an early age about open and hard water fishing, to the point that they usually out-fish me.   :thumbsup:
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2004, 09:41 AM »
Dad & uncle 35 years ago, spud bar for auger, broom handles for jigging rods, home made tip ups. Ah, the good old days. :)   
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2004, 09:47 AM »
Believe it or not, I bought a rod and went by myself.
I never had a teacher. That first year was tough...
 >:D

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2004, 09:51 AM »
My dad and uncles always took up ice fishing with them. Late 40's
or early 50's was when I started. They always had us kids tend the
fire and run for the farthest away tip-ups. We had no jigging rods in
those days. We always used a heavy metal bar with a chisel welded
on the end to cut out holes. It was always a lot of work to spud a
hole, especially if the ice was 20"+. With my power auger today I can
cut a dozen holes as fast as one bach then.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2004, 10:33 AM »
My buddy and his dad when I was in high school.  Ever since that first day there was no turning back.  I am now passing this down to my own kids and hope they get addicted as much as I did. ;D 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2004, 11:30 AM »
A good friend of mine got me hooked on icefishing. We went out to some lake and caught bass and pic's all day great time!!!!
Now I'm hooking other friends into this great hobby.It's amazing how many people say you'll never get me out there, and when you finally do they are instantly hooked after catching thier first fish. :tipup:

smitty

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2004, 11:34 AM »
As a kid I always wanted to go but never tried it until I was 35 years old. I bought a hand auger and made some rods and went by myself. Have been hooked ever since.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2004, 02:08 PM »
I bought a house on a lake and noticed people out there ice fishing, I went out and talked to them a few times and then bought some inexpensive tilts. I have been upgrading all of my equipment and this will be my 2nd full season and can not wait to get out on the ice, only regret was not getting in to this sport 15-20 years ago.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2004, 02:45 PM »
I started ice fishing when i was three. my dad and his brothers always went so i tagged along.

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2004, 03:03 PM »
My dad took me along ice fishing with him when he suprised me by taking a day off of work. I think I was about 7 or 8. It was a really nice day, sunny and about 20something degrees. We caught tons of bluegills, and ever since that day, I've been hooked.
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2004, 03:16 PM »
I was young enough not to be able to really remember my first time out icefishing but my Step-dad started taking me out around 4 yrs old for perch on Lake Manitoba We caught perch all day he has a pic of me with my first ice perch I was hooked.My Step-dad has since told me the reason he kept taking me is that i never complained out there and actually he had a hard time getting me to leave when i was little ha ha I gues that part is still true ;D Now I'm 23 and I have a little girl who's 19 months old and she loves eating fish next year i'll take her heck mabey a nice day this year who knows I can't wait and neither can my step-dad he's pumped about teaching her to fish too.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2004, 03:23 PM »
My uncle took me out on the ice for the first time back in the middle to late 60s , caught some nice gills and a great time ( other than having cold feet and wishing i had my ice skates to warm them up ) Used an old ancient scoop type auger that seemed to take forever to cut a hole with. Been hooked ever since.

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2004, 03:28 PM »
I didn't have ice on the west coast where I grew up and the winters were long dreary and wet :'(  Moved to Alberta where the winters are cold. During that first winter, while on a walk one day, I came across a guy and his kid fishing using sticks as tipups.  They caught 3 or 4 small rainbows while I watched.  Of course, being a diehard fisherman I got out the equipment and gave it a go by punching out old holes other people had drilled.  Had some success including a 5lb rainbow within the first couple trips and have been at it hard ever since.  One of my fondest memories of that first year was planting my face up to the hole watching schools of whitefish go by when all of a sudden a huge trout swam by...I'll never forget that rush.  I love the change in fishing styles that winter brings!  There is just something about icefishing...but then, I think everyone here understands that already :)    
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2004, 05:48 PM »
Back when Conesus was the home of great perching my dad took me there and I was hooked...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2004, 07:00 PM »
I've got 5 brothers and I'm the youngest. We had a pickerel pond within walking distance from the house and I always went with them. This was back in the 60's. We chopped the holes with a hatchet and used the ice chips to prop up the traps. It was always early season fishing because the ice got too thick to chop thru. The fish seemed bigger then...

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2004, 07:42 PM »
My uncle (Bensmen) and cousin (Alaskan Dreams).  It actually was a plot to get free gear for themselves, but it failed.  After I got all of my own goods, I went out with them on some of the coldest, crappiest days of the winter.  Much to their dismay, I enjoyed it immensely, foiling their plot to get all of my shiny new stuff by not deciding that drilling holes for fish in the freezing snow and wind was insane.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2004, 07:59 PM »
A CO-WORKER.I was 19.He took me trout fishing on Newfound Lake.Slept out in this huge shack the whole weekend.Didn't catch one fish but then and there i knew this was my thing.Been taking my son since he was four.Keep the tradition alive.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2004, 08:17 PM »
My fishing partner and mentor, "The Old Man" got me hopelessly hooked on Ice fishing. Bob's been as good a friend as anyone in this world could ask for, more than 20 years now.

He retired last year and devotes most of his time to fishing and hunting. He's in his late 60's....just returned from 2 weeks in Arizona bow hunting muleys and left a couple of days ago for his favorite hunting spot in the Seneca National Forest until the very end of late smokepole season....about 3 months in all.

When he gets done filling the freezer with venison we'll be prowling the hard water together again. More great days with great friends.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2004, 08:27 PM »
my Dad got me into all outdoor sports.he also taught me to respect nature and how to be a sportsman.as i am teaching all my kids and  my grandson.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2004, 09:58 PM »
My buddy & childhood friend, Johnny, callled me up on the phone one day, 42 years ago, and asked me if I wanted to go Ice Fishing with him.  I promptly asked him if he thought I had lost my mind???  Go out on a frozen  lake??  In 15Degree weather????  YES, I WENT !!!
That day we went to Peach Lake in Westchester County and caught Pickerel, White & Yellow Perch, and a few Bass.  Kept them in a live well in the ice that Johnny taught me how to make (I thought that was the neatest thing I ever saw).  Used an old iron pipe with a chisel welded on the end to cut the holes.
There was an Ice Boating club up there and we watched as they used our tip ups like "racing pylons"...shooting in and out of them at high speed--- SO COOOOOL!!!!!
This year Johnny's got to get a hip replacement, so he won't be going out this season.   I think I'll skip going too.....It just wouldn't be the same without Johnny on the ice with me.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 23, 2004, 06:58 PM »
al lindner.  went out by myself and did what the first icefishing video said too.  boom fish!
BUD

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 27, 2004, 02:18 PM »
MY friend Paul and I decided our wives were gonna kill us unless we got out of the house in the winter so we decided to try ice fishing for an afternoon. Borrowed some tip ups from old guy we knew, a hand ice auger and a couple of ancient jig rods and out on the lake (Noquebey) we went over Christmas break. Nearly froze to death and had coronary punching holes but it was grrrrrreat. That was  twenty some years ago and have not missed a weekend since. We have added a few pounds and lots of ice fishing stuff since then but still get excited about each trip.
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #23 on: Oct 27, 2004, 03:01 PM »
My Dad when I was 4 years old. 24 years later I am still loving it. My Dad still comes with me as much as he can. Lots of guys here have met him on the ice, he loves to talk like I do.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #24 on: Oct 27, 2004, 05:13 PM »
I was 9 and my dad and brother decided to go, so I tagged along. My first ever drop with a plain worm I caught a small 11" rainbow. I've liked it ever since, not quite as much as openwater but I still really like it because there is only 1 place I can fish open water in winter :P so naturally I'm going to go other places so icefishing is the only option 8)
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.